BUFFALO, N.Y. (March 2, 2015) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced that the team has acquired forward Jack Nevins and a seventh-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forward Torrey Mitchell.
Nevins (6’2”, 199 lbs., 9/18/93), who signed a three-year contract with the Canadiens in March 2013, has played 32 games with the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL) this year in his first full professional season, totaling 88 penalty minutes.
A native of Stittsville, Ontario, Nevins made his professional debut in 2013-14 with three games in Hamilton after recording 48 points (19+29) and 159 penalty minutes in his final QMJHL season with Charlottetown and Rouyn-Noranda.
- Torrey Mitchell (2+0) posted his second career two-goal game. He recorded the other as a member of the San Jose Sharks on March 23, 2011 against Calgary.
- Mitchell, Brian Gionta and Matt Moulson were each plus-4 tonight. It was a career-high for Mitchell, the highest rating for Gionta since his career-best (plus-five on Feb. 21, 2004) and tied Moulson’s career best set on Oct. 13, 2011.
- The Sabres did not take a penalty tonight; it was the first game without a Buffalo penalty since March 20, 2011 vs. Nashville.
- Brian Flynn registered a career-high ice time of 20:57 tonight. His previous career-high was 20:03 (Oct. 31, 2013 at NYR).
- With a goal and an assist tonight, Chris Stewart now has four points (3+1) in two games against Vancouver this season.
- After recording two assists tonight, Matt Moulson has five points (1+4) in his last five games.
Sabres head coach Ted Nolan
Sabres forward Brian Gionta
Sabres forward Chris Stewart
Sabres forward Torrey Mitchell
Canucks head coach Willie Desjardins
Canucks forward Daniel Sedin
Canucks forward Jannik Hansen
Canucks forward Shawn Matthias
Canucks goaltender Eddie Lack
Buffalo receives two second-round draft picks in exchange for Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick
BUFFALO, N.Y. (March 5, 2014) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced that the team has acquired forward Torrey Mitchell and two second-round draft picks from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for forwards Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick. The draft picks received by the Sabres are for the 2014 and 2016 NHL Entry Drafts.
Mitchell (5’11”, 189 lbs., 1/30/85), who was in his second season in Minnesota, has played in 58 games for the Wild in 2013-14, recording nine points (1+8). Originally drafted by the San Jose Sharks in the fourth round (126th overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Mitchell is playing in his sixth NHL season. After playing four seasons in San Jose, Mitchell signed with Minnesota as a free agent in July 2012. Through 383 career games with the Sharks and Wild, he has recorded 90 points (35+55) and 194 penalty minutes.