BUFFALO, N.Y. (February 13, 2016) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has assigned forward Philip Varone to the Rochester Americans (AHL).
- With the win, the Sabres improved to 3-4-0 in the second game of a back-to-back set.
- With two points tonight, Evander Kane (1+1) now has six career multi-point games against Washington, his highest total against any NHL team.
- Philip Varone scored tonight in his season debut after being recalled from the Rochester Americans (AHL) this morning.
- Two of Varone’s five career goals have come at home against Washington. The other was his first career NHL goal on Jan. 28, 2014.
- With his first career shorthanded goal, Tim Schaller now has two points (1+1) in three career games against the Capitals.
- Cody Franson scored his first power play goal of the season and now ranks second among Sabres defensemen with four goals this season.
- Zach Bogosian’s assist on the goal was the 100th assist of his career and gave him his first multi-point game of the season.
- Josh Gorges and Zemgus Girgensons each missed tonight’s game with an upper-body injury.
Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma
Sabres forward Philip Varone
Sabres forward Tim Schaller
Sabres defenseman Cody Franson
Sabres goaltender Chad Johnson
Capitals head coach Barry Trotz
Capitals forward Mike Richards
Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner
Capitals goaltender Philipp Grubauer
BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 27, 2015) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has released 12 players from its training camp roster.
Click here for an updated training camp roster.
Ten players have been loaned to the Rochester Americans (AHL): Forwards Justin Bailey, Nicholas Baptiste, Jerry D’Amigo (pending waivers), Jean Dupuy, William Carrier, Daniel Catenacci, Justin Kea, Jack Nevins and Philip Varone (pending waivers); goaltender Andrey Makarov
Two players have been released from their tryouts and will report to Rochester for training camp: Forward Matt Garbowsky and defenseman Matt Prapavessis.
The Sabres now have 38 players (20 forwards, 14 defensemen and four goaltenders) on their training camp roster.
Posted in News Release
Tagged Andrey Makarov, Dan Catenacci, Jack Nevins, Jean Dupuy, Jerry D'Amigo, Justin Bailey, Justin Kea, Matt Garbowsky, Matt Prapavessis, Nicholas, Philip Varone, William Carrier
BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 13, 2015) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Philip Varone to a one-year, two-way contract.
Varone (5’10”, 185 lbs., 12/4/1990) appeared in a career-high 28 NHL games during three recalls with the Sabres in 2014-15, logging five points (3+2) and 10 penalty minutes. He spent the majority of the season with the Rochester Americans (AHL), where he posted team-leading totals in both points (44) and assists (29) for the third time in his four AHL seasons, earning a spot in the AHL All-Star Game.
In 37 career NHL games with the Sabres during the last two seasons, Varone has recorded seven points (4+3) and 14 penalty minutes. He has appeared in 262 regular-season games in four seasons with Rochester, totaling 192 points (55+137) and 164 penalty minutes.
Varone signed his first NHL contract with the Sabres in March 2012 after joining the Americans in 2011-12 on an AHL contract. Prior to joining the Americans as an undrafted free agent, the Vaughan, Ontario native spent five OHL seasons with Kitchener, London and Erie.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (June 29, 2015) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has tendered a qualifying offer to the following restricted free agents:
Forwards Jerry D’Amigo, Johan Larsson, Tim Schaller, Philip Varone; defensemen Jerome Leduc and Mark Pysyk; goaltender Nathan Lieuwen.