Monday, April 2
Buffalo 2 at Toronto 5
Goals: Reinhart, Pominville
Goalie: Johnson (31 saves/36 shots)
PP: 2/5; PK: 1/3; Shots: Toronto 36 – Buffalo 34
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 307)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 36 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 26 games
Jacob Josefson (lower body. March 17) – 9 games
Linus Ullmark (upper body, March 26) – 4 games
Robin Lehner (lower body, March 31) – 2 games
Victor Antipin (concussion, April 2) – 1 game
Nathan Beaulieu (illness, April 2) – 1 game
Brendan Guhle (upper body, April 2) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/30: Recalled G Adam Wilcox from Rochester (AHL)
3/31: Assigned F Kyle Criscuolo to Rochester (AHL)
4/2: Recalled D Matt Tennyson from Rochester (AHL)
4/3: Recalled F Alexander Nylander and F Kevin Porter from Rochester (AHL)
Friday, April 6: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 7: Buffalo at Florida, 7 p.m.
SENATORS at SABRES
- This is the fourth and final meeting between the Sabres and Senators this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Ottawa 4-3 (SO) in Ottawa on March 8
- The Sabres are 7-0-3 in their last 10 games vs. the Senators; 6-3-1 at home
- This is the 137th game all-time between Buffalo and Ottawa; Buffalo has a 67-49-20 series record.
- The Sabres are 36-22-8 at home against the Senators all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 5-10-2 all-time on April 4.
- April 4, 1973: The Sabres appear in the first playoff game in franchise history, a 2-1 loss at Montreal.
- April 4, 1981: The Sabres chase Red Wings goaltender Larry Lozinski with three goals on eight shots in the first period on the way to a 5-4 win in Detroit that featured two-goal performances by Tony McKegney and Andre Savard.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres enter tonight’s game with an 8-5-1 record in their last 14 games against Atlantic Division opponents and an 11-11-3 record against the division this season.
- Ryan O’Reilly has 24 points (10+14) in 24 home games dating back to the team’s game on Dec. 22 vs. Philadelphia.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 35 points (17+18) in his last 35 games dating back to Jan. 18. Reinhart has 19 goals in 41 games so far in 2018, tying him for 12th-most in the league since Jan. 1 entering play Tuesday.
- Jack Eichel has recorded eight points (3+5) in his last four games and has now played at a point-per-game pace dating back to mid-November, with 48 points (21+27) in his last 47 games.
- Ryan O’Reilly has posted six points (2+4) in his last five games.
- Jason Pominville enters tonight’s game on a four-game point streak (2+2), his longest streak of the season, and has scored a goal in each of his last two games.
- Sam Reinhart enters tonight’s game on a three-game point streak, with five points (4+1) in those games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen is currently on a three-game assist streak, totaling five assists in his last three games.
I’M SENS-ING A PATTERN
- The Sabres enter tonight’s game with points in 11 straight meetings with the Senators (8-0-3) for the first time in the all-time series.
- Buffalo and Ottawa have had 20 of their last 26 games decided by a single goal. Nine of those games were decided in overtime or a shootout, including each of the last two.
- The Sabres are 9-6 all-time in shootouts against the Senators. Their 15 shootouts against Ottawa make up the team’s highest total against any opponent.
- The Sabres are 9-3-4 in their last 16 home games against the Senators, including points in each of their last four (3-0-1).
HOT AGAINST OTTAWA
- Chad Johnson is 2-2-0 with a .943 save percentage and a 1.59 goals-against average in four career games against the Senators.
- Ryan O’Reilly has 16 points (6+10) in 17 career games against Ottawa, including eight points (4+4) in his last eight.
- Kyle Okposo has 15 points (5+10) in 18 games against the Senators since the beginning of the 2012-13 season, including six points (3+3) in the last six.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled nine points (5+4) in his last nine games against the Senators.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has eight assists in his last nine games against Ottawa.
- Scott Wilson has scored in each of his last two games against the Senators.
QUARTER CENTURY KIDS
- With his 25th goal of the season on March 29 vs. Detroit, Jack Eichel became the first Sabre aged 21 or younger to reach the 25-goal mark since Pierre Turgeon did so in the 1990-91 season.
- Sam Reinhart (22 years old) is one goal shy of the 25-goal mark. If he scores another goal this season, the Sabres would have two 25-goal scorers under 23 years of age for the first time since Alexander Mogilny and Donald Audette topped 25 as 22-year-olds in the 1991-92 season.
- Ryan O’Reilly, who leads the NHL in faceoffs won (1,223) and faceoff percentage (60.1%) this season, is climbing the single-season record books as well. His 1,223 wins through 78 games played already rank third in NHL history and put him on pace to log the most by any NHL player in a season:
- Ryan O’Reilly *pace* (BUF), 2017-18 – 1,270
- Rod Brind’Amour (CAR), 2005-06 – 1,268
- Adam Oates (WSH), 1999-00 – 1,235
- At his current pace, O’Reilly would become just the third player ever to win at least 1,000 faceoffs in a season while maintaining a faceoff percentage of at least 59 percent, joining Rod Brind’Amour (five times) and Patrice Bergeron (two times).
*The NHL began keeping faceoff stats in the 1997-98 season.
I LIKE EICH
- Despite missing 15 games with a high-ankle sprain, Jack Eichel has topped his previous personal bests in goals (24), assists (33) and points (57) on the strength of improved production at even strength.
- With his 17th multi-point game in his 61st game of the season, Eichel surpassed his career-best total of 16 set in 2016-17. Through 64 games, Eichel now has 18 multi-point games.
- With his 17th even-strength goal in his 44th game of the season on Jan. 11 vs. Columbus, Eichel surpassed his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games). Through 64 games, Eichel now has 22 even-strength goals.
- With his 36th even-strength point in his 53rd game of the season on Feb. 7 vs. Anaheim, Eichel surpassed his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games). Through 64 games, he now has 42 even-strength points.
Jack Eichel’s Production by Season
SETTING THEM UP AND KNOCKING THEM DOWN
- Of Jack Eichel’s 62 points so far this season, 27 have been goals or primary assists recorded during 5-on-5 play (excludes 6-on-5 situations).
- Through 64 games played, Eichel’s 27 primary points (16+11) during 5-on-5 play have surpassed his career-best total from his 81-game rookie season (12+12).
*All primary point stats via NaturalStatTrick.com
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 4/3 games)
- Eichel: 3.70 S/GP (7th)
- O’Reilly: 1,223 FOW (1st), 60.1% FO% (1st), 2,035 FO (1st), 14 PPG (T-5th), 4 SHP (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 26:32 TOI/GP (4th)
- Goaltender Robin Lehner was a second-round selection (46th overall) of the Senators in the 2009 NHL Draft. He appeared in 86 games over the course of his time with Ottawa and compiled a 30-36-13 record with a .914 save percentage and a 2.88 goals-against average.
- He was born in Ottawa and played for the Ottawa Senators Minor Midget AAA team (OEMMHL) from 2009-2011.
- Teammates with Mike Hoffman for the Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) during the 2009-10 season.
- He and Mike Condon played together for the Montreal Canadiens during the 2015-16 season.
- Teammates with Tom Pyatt for the Montreal Canadiens from 2009-2011.
- Was a member of Team Sweden during the 2012 World Championship along with Erik Karlsson.
- Played for the Colorado Avalanche with Matt Duchene from 2009-2015. Craig Anderson was also on the team from 2009-2011.
- Teammates with Matt Duchene for Team Canada at the 2013, 2015 and 2016 World Championships.
- Played with Alexandre Burrows for Canada at the 2012 World Championship.
- Represented Canada alongside Cody Ceci at the 2016 World Championship.
- He and Matt Duchene represented Canada together at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Represented the United States alongside Bobby Ryan at the 2012 World Championship.
- Teammates with Tom Pyatt for the Montreal Canadiens from 2009-2011 and again for the Tampa Bay Lightning during the 2012-13 season. Pouliot and Pyatt also represented Canada together at the 2006 World Junior Championship.
- Helped represent Canada at the 2016 World Championship Cody Ceci and Matt Duchene.
- Benoit Pouliot (4th overall) was taken two picks after Bobby Ryan (2nd overall) in the first round of the 2005 NHL Draft.
- Zemgus Girgensons and Cody Ceci were back-to-back selections in the first round of the 2012 NHL Draft. Girgensons was selected 14th overall while Ceci went 15th overall.
- Jack Eichel (2nd overall) and Thomas Chabot (18th overall) were both first-round selections in the 2015 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (201), Girgensons (134), Nolan (122)
Blocked Shots: Scandella (110), Ristolainen (108), McCabe (79)
Shots: Eichel (237), O’Reilly (219), Reinhart (180)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-2 (6), 18/31, 2/32, 24/32
31-40: 3-4-3 (9), 24/33, 3/25, 23/28
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 27/31, 10/33, 15/26
51-60: 3-6-1 (7), 28/32, 6/24, 32/38
61-70: 5-4-1 (11), 24/31, 6/32, 20/25
71-80: 3-6-0 (6), 22/36, 9/33, 15/23
OVERTIME RESULTS (5-10; 113-121 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron, 3:52)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly, 2:59)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty, 3:08)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary, 0:16)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling, 4:55)
Dec. 10 at STL: L, 3-2 (GWG-Tarasenko, 4:24)
Dec. 15 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Slavin,2:15)
Dec. 27 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barzal, 1:08)
Dec. 29 at NJD: W, 4-3 (GWG-Ristolainen, 2:37)
Jan. 1 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Miller, 2:43)
Jan. 22 at CGY: W, 2-1 (GWG-Eichel, 1:30)
Feb. 6 vs. ANA: L, 4-3 (GWG-Henrique, 1:36)
Feb. 15 at OTT: L, 3-2 (GWG-Hoffman,1:13)
Feb. 22 at DET: W, 3-2 (GWG-Scandella, 4:59)
Feb. 28 at TBL: W, 2-1 (GWG-Pominville, 1:26)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-2; 70-66 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
March 8 at OTT: W, 4-3 (GDG-Josefson)
March 10 vs. VGK: L, 2-1 (GDG-Haula)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Casey Mittelstadt … 1st NHL game … March 29 vs. Detroit
Casey Mittelstadt … 1st NHL point (assist) … March 29 vs. Detroit
Jack Eichel … 100th NHL assist … March 31 at Nashville