|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Friday, February 15
NY Rangers 6 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Skinner (2)
Goalie: Ullmark (23 saves/28 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 1/3; PK: 0/0; Shots: Buffalo 33 – NY Rangers 29
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 188)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 27 games
Casey Mittelstadt (lower body, Feb. 12) – 2 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
Tuesday, Feb. 19: Buffalo at Florida, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 21: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 23: Washington at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 25: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 26: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
SABRES at DEVILS
- This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Devils this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated New Jersey 5-1 in Buffalo on Jan. 8
- Next meeting: Monday, March 25 in New Jersey
- The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Devils; 3-4-3 on the road.
- This is the 156th game all-time between Buffalo and New Jersey; Buffalo has a 76-53-26 series record.
- The Sabres are 35-26-15 on the road against the Devils all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 7-10-6 all-time on February 17.
- February 17, 1982: Gilbert Perreault scores his 383rd career goal (a game-winner) to lift the Sabres a 3-2 victory at Chicago. While he would go on to score 512 goals with the Sabres, Perreault only needed the first 383 to set the franchise record; Rick Martin ranks second in franchise history with 382 goals with the team.
- February 17, 2001: The Sabres chase Martin Brodeur with four goals on 18 shots on the way to a 5-1 victory vs. New Jersey.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Tonight’s matchup is the Sabres’ first road game of February following a seven-game homestand that tied as the longest in franchise history. Jeff Skinner (5+3) and Jack Eichel (2+6) each recorded eight points during the homestand.
- Jeff Skinner has recorded six points (4+2) in his last six meetings with New Jersey.
- Jake McCabe enters tonight’s game with a point in each of his last three games against the Devils (2+1).
- Rasmus Ristolainen has totaled four points (1+3) in his last four games against New Jersey.
- Conor Sheary has recorded a point in six of his last seven games against the Devils (2+4).
- Tage Thompson has tallied a point in both of his first two career meetings with New Jersey, including his first career assist on Jan. 2, 2018.
- Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner have both recorded a point on the same goal 27 times this season, making them the most productive Sabres duo since Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek combined on 39 goals in the 2011-12 season.
- At least one of the two has recorded a point on 87 of the team’s 163 goals this season (53.4%).
SKINNER, SKINNER, CHICKEN DINNER
- Jeff Skinner, who scored his 35th and 36th goals of the season on Friday vs. NY Rangers, is now the first Sabres player to score 35 or more goals since Thomas Vanek scored 40 during the 2008-09 season.
- It was Skinner’s eighth multi-goal game of the season, tying his previous career high (2016-17). He is the first player to record at least eight multi-goal games in a season for Buffalo since Vanek recorded 10 in 2008-09.
- Jack Eichel recorded his 42nd and 43rd assists of the season on Tuesday vs. NY Islanders. He is the first Sabres player to record at least 40 assists in a season since Jason Pominville (43) in the 2011-12 season.
- Entering play Saturday, Eichel’s 43 assists tied for 12th-most in the league and his 31 even-strength assists ranked 10th.
- Eichel is currently on pace for 45 even-strength assists this season. Only five different players have recorded at least 45 even-strength assists since the 2005-06 season: Henrik Sedin (3x), Joe Thornton (3x), Connor McDavid (2x), Evgeni Malkin and Michael Nylander.
RISING IN THE RECORD BOOKS
- With a goal on Feb. 7 vs. Carolina, Jason Pominville moved past Mike Foligno into eighth place in franchise history with his 512th points as a member of the Sabres. He currently trails Don Luce by 12 points for seventh-most.
- Pominville is also just two goals from tying Luce for 10th-most goals in Sabres history, 10 assists behind Luce for seventh-most in franchise history and one game played from tying Alexei Zhitnik for eighth-most regular-season games played by a Sabre.
DAH-LEAN ON ME
- Entering play Saturday, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and ranked second among all NHL rookies with 32 points this season. His 26 assists ranked second among all NHL rookies.
- With 32 points (6+26) through 57 games, Dahlin is scoring at a higher rate than he did in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games for Frölunda.
- Dahlin’s current point total puts him on pace for 46 points this season. It would trail only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83) for the most ever recorded by a defenseman before his 19th birthday.
- With six multi-point games so far this season, Dahlin has recorded more multi-point games as an 18-year-old than all but two defensemen in NHL history: Phil Housley (13) and Bobby Orr (8).
SAM I AM
- Sam Reinhart has already set career-high totals in assists (36) and multi-point games (15) this season. His 50 points have tied his career-high total from the 2017-18 season.
- The Sabres are 20-9-5 this season when Reinhart records at least one point and 29-4-7 (.813) in his career when he records at least two.
LEADING THE WAY
- All three of the Sabres’ top three scorers are currently on pace to shatter their previous personal bests in points on the strength of career-best production at even strength:
|Player/Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
|Eichel Career High (2017-18)||67||25||39||64||22||20||42|
|Eichel 2018-19 (Pace)||79||26||63||89||20||45||66|
|Skinner Career High (2016-17)||79||37||26||63||30||18||48|
|Skinner 2018-19 (Pace)||82||52||24||76||40||19||59|
|Reinhart Career High (2017-18)||82||25||25||50||13||16||29|
|Reinhart 2018-19 (Pace)||82||19||53||72||17||39||56|
- At his current pace, Jack Eichel would finish the season with the fifth-most even-strength points ever recorded by a Sabre, trailing only Pat LaFontaine (83) and Alexander Mogilny (78) in 1992-93, and Gilbert Perreault in 1975-76 (70) and 1979-80 (68).
- Eichel is one point off of the pace to become the first Sabres player to record at least 90 points since Daniel Briere (95) in 2006-07 and would trail only LaFontaine’s franchise-record 52 even-strength assists in 1992-93.
- Jeff Skinner is on pace to log the seventh 50-goal season in Sabres history and the first since 1992-93 (Mogilny and LaFontaine). His 40 even-strength goals would be the fourth-most in team history behind only Mogilny’s even-strength total from 1992-93 (49), Rick Martin’s 44 in 1973-74 and Danny Gare’s 41 in 1975-76.
SCORING WHEN IT COUNTS
- Jeff Skinner’s seven game-winning goals tied for second-most in the NHL this season entering play Saturday. He is the first Sabres player with at least seven game-winners in a season since Derek Roy (9) in 2008-09 and is four shy of matching the single-season franchise record of 11 shared by Danny Gare (1979-80) and Alexander Mogilny (1992-93).
- Skinner was also tied for third in the league with three overtime goals this season. Skinner’s total matches the Sabres’ single-season record shared by Daniel Briere (2006-07) and Derek Roy (2009-10) and ties him for 10th-most career overtime goals in franchise history.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/15 games)
- Buffalo Sabres: 82.1% PK% (T-8th)
- Eichel: 2 OTG (T-8th), 211 S (10th), 31 EVA (10th)
- Ristolainen: 25:06 TOI/GP (8th)
- Skinner: 28 EVG (T-1st), 36 G (2nd), 7 GWG (T-2nd), 3 OTG (T-3rd)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (166), Girgensons (91), McCabe (77)
Blocked Shots: Ristolainen (89), Bogosian (87), McCabe (78)
Shots: Eichel (211), Skinner (187), Ristolainen (139)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 6-4-0 (12), 26/28, 8/38, 22/30
11-20: 6-2-2 (14), 35/27, 4/28, 26/29
21-30: 5-3-2 (12), 31/32, 5/28, 23/29
31-40: 4-4-2 (10), 24/27, 7/31, 27/29
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 30/34, 1/25, 14/20
51-60: 3-3-1 (7), 22/28, 6/19, 11/13
OVERTIME RESULTS (6-6; 119-127 all-time)
Oct. 27 at CBJ: L, 5-4 (GWG-Panarin, 0:31)
Oct. 30 vs. CGY: L, 2-1 (GWG-Gaudreau, 2:40)
Nov. 8 at MTL: W, 6-5 (GWG-Ristolainen, 1:38)
Nov. 19 at PIT: W, 5-4 (GWG-Eichel, 0:45)
Nov. 23 vs. MTL: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 3:06)
Nov. 27 vs. SJS: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 1:41)
Nov. 30 at FLA: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barkov, 2:26)
Dec. 4 vs. TOR: L, 4-3 (GWG-Matthews, 4:57)
Dec. 11 vs. LAK: W, 4-3 (GWG-Skinner, 1:49)
Dec. 29 vs. BOS: L, 3-2 (GWG-Kuraly, 3:44)
Jan. 16 at CGY: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 1:10)
Feb. 8 vs. CAR: L, 6-5 (GWG-Teravainen, 3:25)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (4-1; 74-67 all-time)
Nov. 10 vs. VAN: W, 4-3 (GDG-Mittelstadt)
Nov. 16 at WPG: W, 2-1 (GDG-Sheary)
Nov. 24 at DET: W, 3-2 (GDG-Reinhart)
Dec. 15 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Ovechkin)
Feb. 5 vs. MIN: W, 5-4 (GDG-Reinhart)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Jason Pominville … 1 game … 712 games with Sabres (T-8th in franchise history)
Zemgus Girgensons … 2 games … 400 career games played
Jason Pominville … 2 goals … 213 goals with Sabres (T-10th in franchise history)
Jack Eichel … 9 goals … 100 career goals
Kyle Okposo … 3 assists … 300 career assists
Matt Hunwick … 8 assists … 100 career assists
Jeff Skinner … 8 assists … 200 career assists
Jason Pominville … 10 assists … 300 assists with Sabres (T-7th in franchise history)