Monday, March 9
Washington 2 at Buffalo 3 (SO)
Goals: Olofsson, Eichel; GDG – Kahun
Goalie: Ullmark (33 saves/35 shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 1/1; Shots: Washington 35 – Buffalo 26
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 330)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 69 games
Vladimir Sobotka (knee, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 53 games
Tage Thompson (shoulder, Nov. 19; injured reserve) – 49 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/6: Activated G Linus Ullmark from IR; Assigned G Jonas Johansson to Rochester (AHL)
3/7: Recalled D John Gilmour from Rochester (AHL)
3/8: Assigned D John Gilmour to Rochester (AHL)
Friday, March 13: Boston at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, March 15: Carolina at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
Tuesday, March 17: Buffalo at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 19: Buffalo at Florida, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 21: Chicago at Buffalo, 2 p.m.
SABRES at CANADIENS
- This is the third of four meetings between the Sabres and Canadiens this season.
- Last meeting: Montreal defeated Buffalo 3-1 in Buffalo on Jan. 30.
- Next meeting: Tuesday, March 24 in Montreal
- The Sabres are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Canadiens; 5-4-1 on the road.
- This is the 286th game all-time between Buffalo and Montreal; Buffalo has a 130-114-41 series record.
- The Sabres are 55-73-14 on the road against the Canadiens all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 13-10-2 all-time on March 12.
- March 12, 2008: Mike Weber records his first NHL point with an assist at Pittsburgh.
- March 12, 2016: Jack Eichel scores the latest regular-season goal in franchise history at 4:59 of overtime against the Carolina Hurricanes.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Jeff Skinner has recorded 20 points (14+6) in 21 games against Montreal since the beginning of the 2013-14 season, including eight points (5+3) in six games against the Canadiens since joining the Sabres in 2018-19.
- Marcus Johansson has nine points (1+8) in his last nine games against the Canadiens, including points in each of his four games against Montreal since the beginning of last season (1+5).
- Jack Eichel has recorded at least a point in each of his last five matchups with Montreal, totaling 11 points (4+7) in those contests.
- Rasmus Dahlin has recorded six assists in six career games against the Canadiens.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled five points (2+3) in six meetings with Montreal since the beginning of last season, including three points (1+2) in two road games.
- Since joining the Sabres at the trade deadline, Dominik Kahun has totaled four points (2+2) in six games. He also scored the game-deciding shootout goal on Monday vs. Washington with his second career shootout attempt.
- In his six games with Buffalo, Kahun has led the team with 1.72 goals per 60 minutes of ice time during 5-on-5 play. He ranks second behind Marcus Johansson (4.07) with 3.45 points per 60 in those games.
- Kahun’s full-season per-60 totals also rank among the team’s leaders: His .90 goals per 60 in 2019-20 rank behind only Jeff Skinner (1.06) and Jack Eichel (.91), and his 1.53 assists and 2.43 points per 60 lead all Sabres this season.
Per-60 stats via NaturalStatTrick.com
Tonight’s game opens Buffalo’s 13th of 14 sets of back-to-back games this season, which continues tomorrow night vs. Boston. The Sabres are 4-6-2 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 6-5-1 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to-back sets is: four points (1), three points (3), two points (5), one point (0) and zero points (3).
- Rasmus Dahlin has totaled 84 points (13+71) through his first 141 NHL games, including 40 points (4+36) in 59 games this season. He has already surpassed his assist total from his 82-game rookie season and is four points from tying his rookie point total.
- With his assist on Feb. 18 at Ottawa, Dahlin passed Ray Bourque (79) for the second-most points recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 20th birthday. He now trails only Phil Housley (132) for the most points ever recorded by a teenage defenseman.
- Dahlin’s 71 career assists tie Dan Quinn’s total as a teenager for the 12th-most ever recorded by an NHL player before his 20th birthday. His next assist will tie Brian Bellows and Bobby Carpenter for 10th-most.
- Dahlin’s .60 points per game in his career rank as the 14th-highest rate among active NHL defensemen with at least 10 career games played. His .678 points per game so far this season represent the best single-season scoring rate by a Sabres defenseman since Brian Campbell (.683) in 2007-08.
SETTING THE PACE
- Jack Eichel is currently on pace to finish the season with 43 goals and 93 points, which would be the highest goal and point totals by aa Sabre since Thomas Vanek (43 goals) and Daniel Briere (95 points) in 2006-07.
- Victor Olofsson, who has missed 15 games due to injury this season, is on pace to score 25 goals. If he maintains his current pace, his output will tie Thomas Vanek (2005-06) for sixth-most among all rookies in franchise history. His 52 points would rank him 10th among all-time Sabres rookies.
- With an assist on Feb. 11 vs. Detroit, Jack Eichel became the 14th player ever to record 70 points in consecutive seasons at least once as a member of the Sabres.
- He needs two points to become just the ninth player in franchise history to record 80 points in back-to-back seasons at least once. He would join Danny Gare, Dale Hawerchuk, Pat LaFontaine, Rick Martin, Alexander Mogilny, Gilbert Perreault, Rene Robert and Pierre Turgeon.
- With his 40th assist on Feb. 13 vs. Columbus, Eichel became the first Sabres player to record 30 goals and 40 assists in a season since Jason Pominville (30+43) in 2011-12. He became the 16th different player in franchise history to accomplish this feat at least once.
POINTS IN BUNCHES
- Jack Eichel has recorded 20 multi-point games this season, tied for the 13th-most in the NHL entering play Wednesday. The Sabres are 15-3-2 (.800) in those games.
- Eichel’s seven multi-goal games ranked sixth in the league and his 11 multi-assist games tied for 11th-most.
- Sam Reinhart ranks second on the Sabres with 13 multi-point games this season. The team is 10-2-1 this season (.808) and 41-7-8 (.804) in his career when he records at least two points.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 3/11 games)
- Eichel: 3 OTG (T-2nd), 9 GWG (T-3rd), 36 G (T-7th), 27 PPP (T-8th), 78 PTS (T-10th), 24 EVG (T-10th)
- Ristolainen: 203 hits (8th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (203), Girgensons (110), McCabe (91)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (90), Ristolainen (82), Jokiharju (63)
Shots: Eichel (227), Skinner (183), Reinhart (144)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 21/35, 2/26, 21/29
21-30: 3-4-3 (8), 34/34, 4/33, 23/32
31-40: 4-5-1 (9), 24/32, 4/23, 23/30
41-50: 5-5-0 (10), 30/32, 7/29, 21/29
51-60: 5-4-1 (11), 28/33, 5/23, 13/17
61-70: 3-6-0 (6), 20/27, 3/23, 14/18
OVERTIME RESULTS (6-6; 126-134 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (Eichel, 3:13)
Nov. 14 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (Hamilton, 2:28)
Nov. 27 vs. CGY: L, 3-2 (Lindholm, 1:17)
Nov. 30 at TOR: L, 2-1 (Tavares, 1:45)
Dec. 7 at VAN: L, 6-5 (Miller, 3:21)
Dec. 8 at EDM: W, 3-2 (Miller, 1:13)
Dec. 14 at NYI: L, 3-2 (Beauvillier, 3:04)
Jan. 2 vs. EDM: W, 3-2 (Eichel, 1:09)
Feb. 1 vs. CBJ: W, 2-1 (Eichel, 0:36)
Feb. 13 vs. CBJ: W, 4-3 (Olofsson, 2:44)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (2-2; 77-71 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
Feb. 6 vs. DET: L, 4-3 (GDG-Larkin)
March 9 vs. WSH: W, 3-2 (GDG-Kahun)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Linus Ullmark … 3 games … 100 career games played
Johan Larsson … 7 games … 400 career games played
Rasmus Ristolainen … 7 games … 500 career games played
Kyle Okposo … 4 goals … 200 career goals
Wayne Simmonds … 1 point … 500 career points
Johan Larsson … 3 points … 100 career points
Brandon Montour … 9 points … 100 career points
Carter Hutton … 7 wins … 100 career wins
Colin Miller … 300th NHL game … March 7 at PHI
Kyle Okposo … 800th NHL game … March 9 vs. WSH
Sam Reinhart … 400th NHL game … March 9 vs. WSH