BUFFALO, N.Y. (January 13, 2015) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has recalled forward Matt Ellis from the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL).
Ellis (6’0”, 208 lbs., 08/31/81) is joining the Sabres for his first recall of the 2014-15 season. He last played for the Sabres in 2013-14, scoring a goal in the team’s season finale against the Islanders on April 13. In parts of eight NHL seasons with the Sabres, Los Angeles Kings and Detroit Red Wings, Ellis has appeared in 317 games and recorded 47 points (20+27).
Serving as an alternate captain for the Amerks this season, Ellis has played in 36 games and tallied 13 points so far in 2014-15.
Ellis, a Welland, Ontario native, joined the Sabres organization in 2008 and signed a two-year contract with the club in July 2013.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 30, 2014) — The Buffalo Sabres have assigned seven players to the Rochester Americans (AHL). The Sabres’ training camp roster is now at 30 players: 17 forwards, 10 defensemen and three goaltenders.
The following players have been assigned to Rochester: Forwards Joel Armia, Matt Ellis (pending waivers), and Tim Schaller; Defensemen Drew Bagnall (pending waivers) and Nick Petrecki; and goaltenders Nathan Lieuwen and Andrey Makarov.
- The Sabres have earned their first win against the Jets since their 6-5 overtime win on Nov. 8, 2011, the first meeting between the teams after the Thrashers’ move to Winnipeg.
- With a 31-27 advantage tonight, the Sabres have now outshot or tied their opponents in five consecutive games for the first time since they did it in six straight from Nov. 6 to 17, 2010.
- The Sabres had 12 different point-scorers tonight for the first time since their 6-2 win vs. PIT on Feb. 19, 2012.
- Tonight’s win was the Sabres’ first of the season in games in which they trailed after two periods.
- With his goal tonight, Matt Moulson now has 18 points (11+7) in 16 games against Winnipeg/Atlanta, including eight (5+3) in his last seven.
- In his second game of the season, Matt Ellis scored his first goal since Jan. 13, 2012.
Sabres interim head coach Ted Nolan
Sabres forward Steve Ott
Sabres forward Marcus Foligno
Sabres forward Matt Ellis
Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller
Jets head coach Claude Noel
Jets forward Eric O’Dell
Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien
Jets forward Olli Jokinen
BUFFALO, N.Y. (December 14, 2013) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has recalled forward Matt Ellis from the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL).
Ellis (8/31/81, 6’1″, 208 lbs) joins the Sabres for his first call-up of the season. He last played for the Sabres in a six-game stint to start the 2012-13 season. While serving as captain for the Amerks this season, Ellis has appeared in 25 games and notched 10 points (5+5).
Ellis has totaled 33 points (13+20) in 197 games with the Sabres since the team claimed him off waivers from the Los Angeles Kings in 2008. In 267 total NHL games with Buffalo, Los Angeles and Detroit, Ellis has amassed 41 points (16+25). He signed a two-year, two-way NHL contract with the Sabres in July 2013.