The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has named Matt Ellis director of player development.
- Played in 356 NHL games during his nine-year career for the Buffalo Sabres, Los Angeles Kings and Detroit Red Wings.
- Spent the last four seasons working for the Academy of Hockey in LECOM Harborcenter, where he served as a development coach before being named director in September 2019.
- Served as the head of coaching for the Buffalo Jr. Sabres beginning in April 2018. During his time with the organization, Ellis also coached several teams ranging from the 9U to 13U levels.
“The traits that made Matt a successful NHL player are the same ones that have made him successful in player development in the years since.
It’s evident through his thorough planning and execution that Matt is passionate about developing young talent and our players will benefit from his approach to the game.”
– Sabres General Manager Kevyn Adams
BUFFALO, N.Y. (October 2, 2015) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has released eight players from its training camp roster.
**An updated training camp roster can be found here**
Six players have been loaned to the Rochester Americans (AHL): Forwards William Carrier, Evan Rodrigues, and Tim Schaller; defensemen Jerome Leduc (pending waivers) and Chad Ruhwedel (pending waivers); goaltender Nathan Lieuwen.
Two players have been released from their tryouts and will report to Rochester for training camp: Forwards Matt Ellis and Patrick Kaleta.
The Sabres now have 30 players (16 forwards, 11 defensemen and three goaltenders) on their training camp roster.
- With the win, the Sabres improved to 15-1-1 in their last 17 home games against the Maple Leafs. The Leafs haven’t won in Buffalo since Jan. 29, 2013. The home team has now won the last 11 games in this series.
- Matt Ellis scored his first goal of the season and added an assist, marking his fourth career multi-point game (last: March 31, 2010 vs. FLA).
- With two assists tonight, Brian Gionta now has 11 points (4+7) in his last nine games. It is his most prolific nine-game stretch since Dec. 2008.
- Matt Moulson’s goal gives him 18 points (11+7) in his last 13 games against Toronto, dating back to the beginning of the 2011-12 season. He has 24 points (16+8) in 24 career games against the Maple Leafs.
- Zac Dalpe scored his first goal as a member of the Sabres and is now on a career-best three-game point streak (1+2).
Sabres head coach Ted Nolan
Sabres forward Cody Hodgson
Sabres forward Matt Ellis
Sabres forward Zac Dalpe
Maple Leafs head coach Peter Horacheck
Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri
Maple Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk
Maple Leafs forward Casey Bailey
Maple Leafs goaltender Jonathan Bernier
BUFFALO, N.Y. (January 26, 2015) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has recalled forward Matt Ellis from the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL).
Ellis (6’0”, 208 lbs., 8/31/81) will join the Sabres for his second recall of the 2014-15 season after appearing in four NHL games leading up to the All-Star break. In parts of nine NHL seasons with the Sabres, Los Angeles Kings and Detroit Red Wings, Ellis has appeared in 321 games and recorded 47 points (20+27).
Serving as an alternate captain for the Amerks this season, Ellis has played in 38 games and tallied 13 points so far in 2014-15.
Ellis, a Welland, Ontario native, joined the Sabres organization in 2008 and signed a two-year contract with the club in July 2013.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (January 19, 2015) — The Buffalo Sabres have assigned forwards Phil Varone and Matt Ellis to the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL).