The Sabres have acquired a third- and fifth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for center Eric Staal.
The Buffalo Sabres have acquired forward Eric Staal from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for forward Marcus Johansson.
- Ranks in the top 10 among active NHL players in career regular-season games played (7th), goals (6th) and points (8th).
- Ranked third among Wild skaters in goals (19) and points (47) in 2019-20, tying for the team lead with 14 even-strength goals and earning his sixth career NHL All-Star Game selection.
- One of six active NHL members of the Triple Gold Club, winning the 2006 Stanley Cup and gold medals with Canada at 2007 IIHF World Championship and 2010 Winter Olympics.
- Helped lead the Carolina Hurricanes to a Stanley Cup championship with an NHL-best 28 points (9+19) in the 2006 NHL Playoffs.
- Played in six NHL All-Star Games and was selected as the All-Star Game MVP in 2008.
- Has represented Canada in four major international competitions, captaining the nation’s 2013 IIHF World Championship team. Won a gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics and at the 2007 IIHF World Championship.
- Has served as a captain or alternate captain in 12 of his 16 NHL seasons, including seven seasons as captain of the Hurricanes.
- Named to the NHL’s second All-Star Team in 2005-06 and the CHL’s First All-Star Team in 2002-03.
- Played in the 2005 AHL All-Star Game, the 2004 NHL YoungStars Game and the 2003 CHL Top Prospects Game.
- The Sabres earned their first win at First Niagara Center since Jan. 4 (2-1 W vs. NJD).
- With two assists tonight, Ryan Miller became the first NHL goaltender to record two assists in a game since Cory Schneider (12/11/10 vs. TBL). He is the first Sabres goaltender to accomplish this feat since Daren Puppa (1/14/91 at TOR). –via Elias Sports Bureau
- The assists were the eighth and ninth of Miller’s career. His last came on March 20, 2011 vs. NSH.
- Miller improved to 13-9-4 in his career against the Hurricanes, with a .914 save percentage and a 2.67 goals against average.
- After picking up two assists tonight, Drew Stafford now has 11 points (6+5) in his last eight games.
- Christian Ehrhoff scored twice, including the game-winner, and now has seven points (3+4) in his last seven games.
- With his assist tonight, Tyler Ennis stretched his point streak to three games. Ennis now has seven points (2+5) in his last seven games.
Sabres interim head coach Ted Nolan
Sabres forward Tyler Ennis
Sabres defenseman Christian Ehrhoff
Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller
Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller
Hurricanes forward Eric Staal
Hurricanes forward Jiri Tlusty