|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Monday, March 4
Edmonton 4 at Buffalo 3
Goals: Eichel (2), Mittelstadt
Goalie: Ullmark (16 saves/20 shots) / Hutton (7 saves/7shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 1/1; Shots: Buffalo 38 – Toronto 27
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 205)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Vladimir Sobotka (upper body, March 1) – 3 games
Zach Bogosian (lower body, March 4) – 1 game
Jake McCabe (upper body, March 4) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
Saturday, March 9: Buffalo at Colorado, 3 p.m.
Tuesday, March 12: Dallas at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 14: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 16: Buffalo at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Sunday, March 17: St. Louis at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
SABRES at BLACKHAWKS
- This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Blackhawks this season.
- Last meeting: Chicago defeated Buffalo 7-3 in Buffalo on Feb. 1
- The Sabres are 1-6-3 in their last 10 games vs. the Blackhawks; 2-6-2 on the road.
- This is the 123rd game all-time between Buffalo and Chicago; Buffalo has a 54-52-16 series record.
- The Sabres are 19-33-8 on the road against the Blackhawks all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 8-9-5 all-time on March 7.
- March 7, 2002: Martin Biron turns aside 26 New York Islanders shots to earn the first of two shutouts on back-to-back nights, a feat he would complete with another 26-save performance the following night against Montreal.
- March 7, 2016: Jack Eichel becomes the youngest Sabre ever to reach the 20-goal mark (19 years, 131 days) with his goal against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres have scored a power-play goal in three straight meetings with the Blackhawks entering tonight.
- Buffalo needs a win tonight to split the season series with Chicago for the second straight season.
- The Sabres are seeking their first win in Chicago since Jan. 10, 2007.
- Jason Pominville has totaled 10 points (5+5) in his last 10 games against the Blackhawks. He has nine points (7+2) in 12 career visits to Chicago.
- Jeff Skinner has totaled eight points (2+6) in his last seven meetings with Chicago, including three points (0+3) in three road games.
- Jack Eichel has recorded a point in six of seven career matchups with the Blackhawks, including each of the last five (2+3).
- Rasmus Ristolainen has recorded seven assists in his last eight games against the Blackhawks.
- Kyle Okposo has seven points (4+3) in seven career road games in Chicago and four points (3+1) in his four total meetings with the Blackhawks since the beginning of 2016-17.
RISING IN THE RECORD BOOKS
- With his goal on Saturday at Toronto, Jason Pominville tied Don Luce for 10th-most regular-season goals in Sabres history (216). He now trails Rene Robert by six goals for ninth-most all-time.
- Pominville needs nine points to tie Luce for seventh-most in franchise history (526) and nine assists to tie him for seventh-most in that category (310). His 719 games played with the Sabres trail Luce by 47 for seventh-most all-time as well.
Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner have both recorded a point on the same goal 31 times this season, making them the most productive Sabres duo since Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek combined on 39 goals in the 2011-12 season. At least one of the two has recorded a point on 99 of the team’s 186 goals this season (53.2%).
- Entering play Wednesday, Jack Eichel was tied for 11th in the league with 20 points (9+11) in 18 games since the All-Star Break. His nine goals during that span tied for eighth.
- Eichel has totaled 72 points this season, setting a new career-high mark, also tying his previous high with 25 goals. He has joined Rick Martin and Thomas Vanek as the third player in franchise history to record at least 20 goals in each of his first four NHL seasons.
- With 47 assists so far this season, Eichel is the first Sabres player to record at least 45 assists in a season since Tim Connolly recorded 48 in 2009-10. The last Sabre to record at least 50 assists was Jason Pominville (53) in 2007-08.
DAH-LEAN ON ME
- Entering play Wednesday, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and ranked second among all NHL rookies in points (37) and assists (29).
- With 37 points (8+29) through 66 games, Dahlin is scoring at a higher rate than he did in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games for Frölunda.
- Dahlin’s current point total puts him on pace for 46 points this season. He would trail only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83) for the most ever recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 19th birthday.
- With seven multi-point games so far this season, Dahlin has recorded more multi-point games as an 18-year-old than all but two defensemen in NHL history: Phil Housley (13) and Bobby Orr (8).
- Dahlin’s three game-winning goals this season are already the most ever recorded by a Sabres rookie defenseman. His total also ties for ninth-most by any Sabres rookie and eighth-most in a season by any defenseman in franchise history.
SKINNER, SKINNER, CHICKEN DINNER
- Jeff Skinner has scored 36 goals this season, becoming the fifth player ever to score at least 35 in his first season with the Sabres.
- His next goal will match his previous career high of 37 set in the 2016-17 season and his 38th goal would tie Gilbert Perreault (1970-71) and Ray Sheppard (1987-88) for third-most ever scored by a first-year Sabre.
- Skinner’s 28 even-strength goals are already the most ever recorded by player in his first year with the Sabres, breaking a record previously held by Danny Gare (26) since 1974-75.
LEADING THE WAY
Each of the Sabres’ top three scorers is currently on pace to shatter his previous personal best in points on the strength of career-best production at even strength:
|Player/Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
|Eichel Career High (2017-18)||67||25||39||64||22||20||42|
|Eichel 2018-19 (Pace)||79||31||59||90||21||43||64|
|Reinhart Career High (2017-18)||82||25||25||50||13||16||29|
|Reinhart 2018-19 (Pace)||82||22||50||72||20||35||55|
|Skinner Career High (2016-17)||79||37||26||63||30||18||48|
|Skinner 2018-19 (Pace)||82||45||27||72||35||17||52|
- At his current pace, Jack Eichel would finish the season tied for the seventh-most even-strength points ever recorded by a Sabre, trailing only Pat LaFontaine (83) and Alexander Mogilny (78) in 1992-93, Gilbert Perreault in 1975-76 (70), 1979-80 (68) and 1977-78 (65), and Daniel Briere in 2006-07 (65).
- Eichel is on pace to become the first Sabres player to record at least 90 points since Daniel Briere (95) in 2006-07. At his current pace, he would trail only LaFontaine’s franchise-record 52 even-strength assists in 1992-93.
- Jeff Skinner is on pace to become the first Sabres player to score at least 40 goals since Thomas Vanek (40) in 2008-09 and would have the highest total since Alexander Mogilny scored 76 in 1992-93. He would become just the 11th different player in Sabres history to score at least 40 in a season.
SCORING WHEN IT COUNTS
- Jeff Skinner’s seven game-winning goals tied for third-most in the NHL this season entering play Wednesday. He is the first Sabres player with at least seven game-winners in a season since Derek Roy (9) in 2008-09 and is four shy of matching the single-season franchise record of 11 shared by Danny Gare (1979-80) and Alexander Mogilny (1992-93).
- Skinner was also tied for third in the league with three overtime goals this season. Skinner’s total matches the Sabres’ single-season record shared by Daniel Briere (2006-07) and Derek Roy (2009-10) and ties him for 10th-most career overtime goals in franchise history.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 3/6 games)
- Buffalo Sabres: 82.5% PK% (5th)
- Eichel: 252 S (5th), 34 EVA (T-10th)
- Ristolainen: 24:54 TOI/GP (8th)
- Skinner: 7 GWG (T-3rd), 3 OTG (T-3rd), 28 EVG (5th), 36 G (T-6th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (203), Girgensons (114), McCabe (96)
Blocked Shots: Ristolainen (104), Bogosian (103), McCabe (95)
Shots: Eichel (252), Skinner (220), Ristolainen (159)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 6-4-0 (12), 26/28, 8/38, 22/30
11-20: 6-2-2 (14), 35/27, 4/28, 26/29
21-30: 5-3-2 (12), 31/32, 5/28, 23/29
31-40: 4-4-2 (10), 24/27, 7/31, 27/29
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 30/34, 1/25, 14/20
51-60: 3-6-1 (7), 26/38, 7/30, 19/22
61-70: 2-4-0 (4), 19/24, 6/19, 8/11
OVERTIME RESULTS (7-6; 120-127 all-time)
Oct. 27 at CBJ: L, 5-4 (GWG-Panarin, 0:31)
Oct. 30 vs. CGY: L, 2-1 (GWG-Gaudreau, 2:40)
Nov. 8 at MTL: W, 6-5 (GWG-Ristolainen, 1:38)
Nov. 19 at PIT: W, 5-4 (GWG-Eichel, 0:45)
Nov. 23 vs. MTL: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 3:06)
Nov. 27 vs. SJS: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 1:41)
Nov. 30 at FLA: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barkov, 2:26)
Dec. 4 vs. TOR: L, 4-3 (GWG-Matthews, 4:57)
Dec. 11 vs. LAK: W, 4-3 (GWG-Skinner, 1:49)
Dec. 29 vs. BOS: L, 3-2 (GWG-Kuraly, 3:44)
Jan. 16 at CGY: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 1:10)
Feb. 8 vs. CAR: L, 6-5 (GWG-Teravainen, 3:25)
March 1 vs. PIT: W, 4-3 (GWG-Sheary, 4:11)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (4-2; 74-68 all-time)
Nov. 10 vs. VAN: W, 4-3 (GDG-Mittelstadt)
Nov. 16 at WPG: W, 2-1 (GDG-Sheary)
Nov. 24 at DET: W, 3-2 (GDG-Reinhart)
Dec. 15 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Ovechkin)
Feb. 5 vs. MIN: W, 5-4 (GDG-Reinhart)
Feb. 21 at TBL: L, 2-1 (GDG-Stamkos)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Tage Thompson … 2 games … 100 career games played
Jason Pominville … 1 goal … 217 goals with Sabres (sole possession, 10th in franchise history)
Jack Eichel … 2 goals … 100 career goals
Jason Pominville … 9 goals … 300 career goals
Kyle Okposo … 1 assist … 300 career assists
Jeff Skinner … 3 assists … 200 career assists
Matt Hunwick … 7 assists … 100 career assists
Jason Pominville … 8 assists … 310 assists with Sabres (T-7th in franchise history)
Sam Reinhart … 2 points … 200 career points