BUFFALO, N.Y. (January 11, 2019) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has assigned forward C.J. Smith to the Rochester Americans (AHL).
- The five-goal second period was Buffalo’s most prolific period at home since the Sabres scored five goals in the third period to earn a 5-1 win vs. Carolina on Nov. 28, 2009.
- The Sabres had 14 players record a point in the second period. It tied the Sabres’ franchise record for most players with a point in a single period. The other instances were on Nov. 2, 2006 vs. Tampa Bay and Oct. 21, 2009 at Florida.
- With the win, Buffalo improved to 14-5-3 at KeyBank Center this season.
- C.J. Smith and Lawrence Pilut each scored their first NHL goals tonight. The game was the sixth time in franchise history in which two Sabres have recorded their first NHL goals in the same contest.
- The last such game was April 6, 2018, when Casey Mittelstadt and Alexander Nylander each scored their first career goals at Tampa Bay.
- Including tonight, four of the six instances saw players score their first NHL goals in the same period.
- Jeff Skinner’s goal tonight was his 29th of the season and 23rd at even strength, giving him sole possession of the NHL lead in even-strength tallies.
- Skinner now has six points (4+2) in his last six games against New Jersey.
- Jake McCabe’s goal was the first shorthanded point of his career and gives him a point in each of his last three games against the Devils (2+1).
|Updated Season Stats
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward C.J. Smith
Sabres forward Evan Rodrigues
Sabres defenseman Lawrence Pilut
Sabres goaltender Carter Hutton
Devils head coach John Hynes
Devils defenseman Andy Greene
Devils defenseman Ben Lovejoy
BUFFALO, N.Y. (December 31, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has recalled forward C.J. Smith from the Rochester Americans (AHL).
In his second full professional season, Smith (5’11”, 181 lbs., 12/1/1994) is currently tied for the Amerks’ team lead with 29 points (13+16) in 33 games this season. In his last 10 games for Rochester, Smith has recorded 11 points (6+5) and 38 shots on goal, propelling him into a tie for third in the AHL with 108 shots on goal this season.
In 2017-18, Smith tied for 10th among AHL rookies with 44 points (17+27) in 57 games and was named MVP of the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic. The Des Moines, Iowa native recorded one assist in two NHL contests in 2016-17 after the conclusion of his three-year collegiate career at UMass-Lowell, where he was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team in 2015 and garnered Hockey East All-Tournament honors in 2016 and 2017.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 16, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward C.J. Smith to a one-year, two-way contract with an AAV of $874,125.
After making his NHL debut with one assist in two games for the Sabres in 2016-17, Smith (5’11”, 181 lbs., 12/1/1994) completed his first full professional season in 2017-18 by tallying 44 points (17+27) in 57 AHL games with the Rochester Americans. His totals ranked third among Amerks skaters in points, tied for second in goals and tied for third in assists. Smith’s fast start in 2017-18 earned him a spot in the 2018 AHL All-Star Challenge, where he recorded five points (3+2) to earn Most Valuable Player honors.
Prior to signing with the Sabres as a free agent in March 2017, Smith finished his three-year college career at UMass Lowell with 125 points (56+69) in 120 games. Among his collegiate accolades were Hockey East All-Tournament Team selections in each of his final two seasons and a Hockey East Tournament MVP nod in 2017 following an eight-point (4+4) output in five games as a member of the champion River Hawks.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (June 25, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has tendered a qualifying offer to forwards Justin Bailey, Nick Baptiste, Sean Malone, Danny O’Regan, Sam Reinhart and C.J. Smith.