Friday, April 9
Washington 4 at Buffalo 3
Goals: Jokiharju, Mittelstadt, Thompson
Goalie: Tokarski (29 saves/ 33 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 1/1; Shots: Washington 33 – Buffalo 33
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 195)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zemgus Girgensons (hamstring, Jan. 14; injured reserve) – 40 games
William Borgen (forearm, Feb. 22; injured reserve) – 26 games
Jake McCabe (knee, Feb. 22; injured reserve) – 26 games
Jack Eichel (upper body, March 9; injured reserve) – 17 games
Carter Hutton (lower body, March 24) – 10 games
Dylan Cozens (upper body, March 31) – 6 games
Curtis Lazar (upper body, April 1; injured reserve) – 5 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
4/5: Reassigned F Arttu Ruotsalainen from the Rochester Americans (AHL) to the taxi squad; Reassigned F Jean-Sebastien Dea to Rochester
4/6: Signed Linus Weissbach to a two-year, entry-level contract
4/7: Reassigned F C.J. Smith and D Brandon Davidson to the Rochester Americans (AHL)
4/8: Reassigned F C.J. Smith and D Brandon Davidson from the Rochester Americans (AHL) to the taxi squad
4/9: Claimed F Drake Caggiula off waivers; Recalled F Arttu Ruotsalainen from the taxi squad; Reassigned F Steven Fogarty to the taxi squad
4/10: Acquired a third-round pick from the Florida Panthers in exchange for D Brandon Montour; Reassigned F Jean-Sebastien Dea to the taxi squad; Loaned F Steven Fogarty to the Rochester Americans (AHL)
Tuesday, April 13: Buffalo at Boston, 7 p.m.
Thursday, April 15: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 17: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
Sunday, April 18: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
Tuesday, April 20: Boston at Buffalo, 6:30 p.m.
SABRES at FLYERS
- This is the eighth and final meeting between the Sabres and Flyers this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Philadelphia 6-1 in Buffalo on March 31
- The Sabres are 2-6-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Flyers; 1-7-2 on the road.
- This is the 189th game all-time between Buffalo and Philadelphia; Buffalo has a 71-91-26 series record.
- The Sabres are 26-55-15 on the road against the Flyers all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 1-4-1 all-time on April 11 (regular season).
- April 11, 2001: Dominik Hasek makes 31 saves on 32 shots as the Sabres open the playoffs with a 2-1 win at Philadelphia.
- April 11, 2009: Thomas Vanek scores twice, reaching the 40-goal mark for the second time in his career, as the Sabres close the 2008-09 season with a 6-1 win at home against Boston.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW.
- The team that has scored first has won six of the seven games so far between the Sabres and Flyers this season.
- Buffalo is 16-for-17 on the penalty kill and has added two shorthanded goals for a plus-1 shorthanded goal differential against the Flyers this season. The team’s 94.1 penalty-kill percentage is its best rate against any opponent this season.
- Of the Sabres’ 28 individual multi-point performances this season, 11 have come against the Flyers.
- Sam Reinhart’s ten road goals this season are tied for fifth in the NHL.
- Kyle Okposo has nine points (2+7) in his last ten outings.
- Rasmus Dahlin (0.09, 13th) and Rasmus Ristolainen (0.09, 14th) both rank in the top 15 in goals-per-game in franchise history among defensemen who have played in at least 82 games.
- Following Thursday’s game, the Sabres were the least-penalized team in the NHL with 6:10 of penalty time per game. Buffalo has been assessed 247 total penalty minutes this season, 15 fewer than the closest team, the New Jersey Devils.
- In the team’s last three games, the line of Rasmus Asplund, Casey Mittelstadt and Tage Tompson has skated together more than any other forward line at 5-on-5 (29:43). During that time, they have outshot their opponents 17-12, outscored opponents 2-0 and have a 60.6 expected-goals percentage at 5-on-5.
- All three players have scored during the three-game stretch – Asplund on April 6, Mittelstadt on April 6 and 9, and Thompson on April 8 and 9.
- Mittelstadt enters tomorrow’s game having recorded six points (4+2) in his last six games, the best six-game stretch of his career.
- With a point tomorrow, Thompson would extend his point streak to a career-best four games. If Thompson were to score in tomorrow’s contest, it would mark the first time in his career that he would have goals in three consecutive games.
HOT AGAINST THE FLYERS
- Sam Reinhart has five goals in seven games against Philadelphia this season.
- Rasmus Ristolainen leads the Sabres with 126 hits this season. His 36 hits against the Flyers is his highest total against a single opponent. Ristolainen set the teams single-game high with eight hits on Jan. 18 at Philadelphia.
- Kyle Okposo has recorded four assists in five contests against Philadelphia this season.
- Linus Ullmark is 1-0-1 with .926 save percentage and 2.49 goals against average against Philadelphia this season.
BULLYING THE BULLIES
Buffalo’s 6-1 win March 31 tied the Sabres’ second-best goal differential in their 188 regular-season matchups with the Flyers. It was the second time this season the Sabres defeated the Flyers 6-1. The only other time Buffalo scored six or more goals against Philadelphia at least twice in the same season was Oct. 17, 2006 and Feb. 20, 2007.
|Buffalo’s Biggest Wins Against Philadelphia
|Oct. 17, 2006
|Nov. 10, 1982
|Nov. 13, 1993
|Feb. 23, 1996
|Jan. 18, 2021
|March 31, 2021
KEEPIN’ IT 100
- Rasmus Dahlin’s assist April 8 marked his 100th career NHL point.
- Dahlin (180 games played) is the second-fastest Sabres defenseman to reach the milestone after making his NHL debut with the team. He is second only to Phil Housley, who recorded his 100th point in his 106th game.
- Dahlin, who turns 21 on April 13, is now the youngest Swedish defenseman in NHL history and the second-youngest Sabres blueliner to reach 100 career points, trailing only Housley (19 years, 273 days).
- With the assist, Dahlin is now the first defenseman and third player from the 2018 NHL Draft to record 100 career points (Andrei Svechnikov, Brady Tkachuk).
- Dahlin’s career per-game output ranks him among the franchise’s top 15 defensemen in every major scoring category (min. 82 GP): .09 G/GP (13th), .47 A/GP (5th), .56 PTS/GP (5th).
- Dahlin’s power-play production positions him among the top 20 defensemen in franchise history with eight goals (T-16th), 40 assists (14th) and 48 points (15th).
ROAD TO 100 GAMES
- Victor Olofsson played his 100th career NHL game on April 9.
- Among players who have debuted with the Sabres, Olofsson’s 19 career power-play goals ties Gilbert Perreault and trails only Rick Martin (23) for the most power-play goals by a Sabre in a player’s first 100 NHL games.
- Since his NHL debut on March 28, 2019, Olofsson is third on the Sabres in goals (33) and points (69) He leads the team with 19 power-play goals and ranks second with 31 power-play points.
- Olofsson’s 19 power-play goals ties him for fifth in the NHL since his debut.
- His 0.69 points per game ranks sixth among players selected in the 2014 NHL Draft.
- Among goaltenders who have played at least 10 games this season, Ullmark ranks sixth in the NHL with a .935 5-on-5 save percentage.*
- Ullmark ranks ninth in the NHL at goals saved above average at 5-on-5 (7.35).*
- His .862 save percentage when facing high-danger chances at 5-on-5 ranks seventh in the league (min. 10 GP).*
*Stats courtesy of NaturalStatTrick.com
RISTO IN THE RECORD BOOK
- With his goal on April 6 at New Jersey, Rasmus Ristolainen took sole possession of the eighth-most goals by a defenseman in Sabres history. He now trails Richard Smehlik by one goal for seventh-most.
- Ristolainen’s first assist on Jan. 24 at Washington moved him past Jim Schoenfeld for the seventh-most career points recorded by a Sabres defenseman. He currently trails Bill Hajt by four points for sixth-most.
- Ristolainen holds the franchise record for most overtime goals by a defenseman (4) and is tied for ninth all-time among the team’s blueliners with six game-winning goals.
- Ristolainen’s career per-game output ranks him among the franchise’s top 15 defensemen in every major scoring category (min. 82 GP): .09 G/GP (14th), .37 A/GP (14th), .46 PTS/GP (11th)
- Sabres forward Cody Eakin won a gold medal with Claude Giroux while representing Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Jeff Skinner played for Team Canada with Flyers forward Claude Giroux at the 2013 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Sam Reinhart won a gold medal for Team Canada with Flyers assistant coach Mike Yeo, who was one of the team’s assistant coaches, at the 2016 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Sam Reinhart and Flyers forward Scott Laughton played for Team Canada at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Sabres forward Victor Olofsson played for Team Sweden at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship with Flyers forward Oskar Lindblom and Flyers defenseman Robert Hagg.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings entering play Saturday)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (126), Miller (76), Lazar (64)
Blocked Shots: Miller (39), Ristolainen (39), Irwin (38)
Shots: Olofsson (91), Hall (88), Reinhart (79)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 4-4-2 (10), 30/32, 12/39, 19/23
11-20: 2-7-1 (5), 16/28, 7/23, 18/23
21-30: 0-9-1 (1), 18/45, 0/14, 18/26
31-40: 3-5-2 (8), 28/35, 3/23, 28/34
OVERTIME RESULTS (0-4; 126-138 all-time)
Jan. 28 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Lafrenière, 2:47)
Feb. 25 vs. NJD: L, 4-3 (GWG-Zacha, 1:17)
March 29 vs. PHI: L 4-3 (GWG-Provorov, 0:42)
April 1 vs. NYR: L 3-2 (GWG Zibanejad, 4:32)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (3-2; 80-73 all-time)
Jan. 22 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Carlson)
Jan. 24 at WSH: W, 4-3 (GDG-Eichel)
Jan. 30 vs. NJD: W, 4-3 (GDG-Eichel)
March 9 at PHI: L 5-4 (GDG-Couturier)
April 3 vs. NYR: W 3-2 (GDG-Thompson)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Rasmus Ristolainen … 1 goal … 47 career goals (T-7th in franchise history, defensemen)
Kyle Okposo … 2 goals … 200 career goals
Rasmus Ristolainen … 6 assists … 200 career assists
Colin Miller … 8 assists … 100 career assists
Rasmus Dahlin … 100 career points … April 8 vs. NJD
Arttu Ruotsalainen … 1st NHL game … April 9 vs. WSH
Victor Olofsson … 100 games played … April 9 vs. WSH