Sunday, January 7
Buffalo 1 at Philadelphia 4
Goalie: Lehner (25 saves/27 shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 2/3; Shots: Buffalo 31 – Philadelphia 29
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 157)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Victor Antipin (illness, Dec. 29; injured reserve) – 5 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/5: Activated D Taylor Fedun from IR; Assigned Fedun to Rochester (AHL)
1/8: Recalled D Brendan Guhle and G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Victor Antipin on IR
Thursday, Jan. 11: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 18: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 20: Dallas at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Monday, Jan. 22: Buffalo at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 23: Buffalo at Edmonton, 9 p.m.
JETS at SABRES
- This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Jets this season.
- Last meeting: Winnipeg defeated Buffalo 4-3 in Winnipeg on Jan. 5
- The Sabres are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Jets; 6-3-1 at home.
- This is the 61st game all-time between Buffalo and Winnipeg/Atlanta; Buffalo has a 26-23-11 series record.
- The Sabres are 17-9-4 at home against the Jets/Thrashers all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 7-8-4 all-time on January 9.
- January 9, 1977: Andre Savard scores three times in a span of 6:25 in the first period to earn the fourth natural hat trick in franchise history and help the Sabres down the Cleveland Barons 7-4 at the Aud.
- January 9, 2007: Danny Briere, Brian Campbell and Ryan Miller are announced as starters for the 2007 NHL All-Star Game.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres are back at KeyBank Center for the first time since Dec. 22 after playing seven consecutive games away from Buffalo.
- The Jets are seeking their first win in Buffalo since Nov. 26, 2014 after suffering one-goal losses in each of their last two visits to KeyBank Center.
- Jack Eichel has totaled 12 points (7+5) in his last 10 games. Since beginning that stretch on Dec. 15, Eichel ranked in the top five in the league in goals (T-4th, 7), even-strength goals (T-3rd, 6) and even-strength points (T-9th, 10) entering play Monday.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has six points (2+4) in his last five games despite getting a game misconduct after just 5:43 of ice time on Thursday at Minnesota.
- Jason Pominville has three assists in his last three games.
HOT AGAINST WINNIPEG
- Jason Pominville has 16 points (4+12) in his last 16 games against Winnipeg, including six points (2+4) in his last two.
- Kyle Okposo has 12 points (5+7) in his last 13 games against the Jets. In 25 career games against Winnipeg/Atlanta, Okposo has eight multi-point outings.
- Sam Reinhart has recorded six points (4+2) in five career games against the Jets, including his first career hat trick on Jan. 10 in Winnipeg.
- Scott Wilson and Marco Scandella each have four points (2+2) in their last four games against the Jets.
- Robin Lehner is 3-0-0 against the Jets in his career, with a .949 save percentage and a 1.67 goals-against average.
Brendan Guhle (GOO-lee) was recalled by the Sabres yesterday, joining the team for the first time this season after appearing in his first three NHL games with the team in December 2016. Buffalo’s second-round pick (51st overall) in the 2015 NHL Draft, Guhle has 20 points (7+13) and a team-high 91 shots through 35 AHL games with the Rochester Americans in his first full professional season, ranking second in points among rookie AHL defensemen.
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
Entering play Monday, Robin Lehner’s stats in home games ranked him third in the league in save percentage (.935) and goals-against average (2.01) among regular goaltenders (min. 10 games played at home).
I LIKE EICH
- Jack Eichel is currently on pace to surpass his personal bests in goals (24), assists (33) and points (57) on the strength of improved production at even strength (T-12th in NHL in ES goals, T-16th in ES points).
- Eichel’s 14 even-strength goals through 42 games match his total from last season (61 games) and are just two shy of his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games).
- Eichel’s 29 even-strength points through 42 games are four shy of his total from last season (61 games) and are just six shy of his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games).
Jack Eichel’s Production by Season
SETTING THEM UP AND KNOCKING THEM DOWN
- Of Jack Eichel’s 36 points so far this season, 22 have been goals or primary assists recorded during 5-on-5 play (excludes empty-net goals).
- Through 42 games, Eichel’s 22 primary points (11+11) during 5-on-5 play have already surpassed his 61-game total from last season (11+10) and are just two shy of his total from his 81-game rookie season (12+12).
2017-18 Primary Points Leaders at 5-on-5 (Before 1/8 games)
*All primary point stats via NaturalStatTrick.com
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 1/8 games)
- Kane: 3 SHG (T-2nd), 3 SHP (T-3rd), 170 S (5th)
- O’Reilly: 605 FOW (1st), 60.9% FO% (1st), 994 FO (2nd)
- Ristolainen: 26:05 TOI/GP (5th)
- Joel Armia was taken in the first round (16th overall) of the 2011 NHL Draft and played in one game for the Sabres during the 2014-15 season.
- Dmitry Kulikov spent the 2016-17 season as a member of the Sabres, posting five points (2+3) and 26 penalty minutes in 47 games.
- Buffalo drafted Tyler Myers in the first round (12th overall) of the 2008 NHL Draft. Myers went on to win the Calder Trophy after the 2009-10 season, and finished his Sabres career with 151 points (45+106) in 365 games over six seasons.
- Zach Bogosian was drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in the first round (3rd overall) of the 2008 NHL Draft. In seven seasons with Atlanta/Winnipeg, the defenseman had 127 points (40+84) in 393 games.
- The Thrashers selected Evander Kane with the fourth overall selection in the first round of the 2009 NHL Draft. He went on to score 222 points (109+113) in 361 games for the Thrashers/Jets.
- Played with Andrew Copp for the United States at the 2014 World Junior Championship.
- Teammates with Connor Hellebuyck and Jacob Trouba for Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Played with Tyler Myers for Team Canada at the 2009 World Junior Championship and the 2010 World Championship.
- Played with Jacob Trouba for the United States at the 2013 World Junior Championship and the 2014 World Championship. Andrew Copp was also on the 2014 squad.
- Represented the United States alongside Kyle Conner at the 2016 World Championship.
- Teammates with Blake Wheeler for the University of Minnesota (NCAA) from 2006-2008.
- Teammates with Matt Hendricks for the Colorado Avalanche during the 2009-10 season.
- Teammates with Matt Hendricks for the Edmonton Oilers from 2014-2017.
- Represented Finland alongside Joel Armia at the 2011 World U-18 Championship and the 2012 and 2013 World Junior Championships.
- Played with Patrick Laine for Team Finland at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Represented Canada alongside Josh Morrissey at the 2014 World Junior Championship.
- Won a gold medal for Team Canada with Mark Scheifele at the 2016 World Championship.
- Kyle Okposo (7th overall) and Bryan Little (12th overall) were both selected in the first round of the 2006 NHL Draft.
- Zach Bogosian and Tyler Myers were both taken in the first round of the 2008 NHL Draft. Bogosian was taken 3rd overall and Myers was taken 12th overall.
- Evander Kane (4th overall), Jacob Josefson (20th overall) and Dmitry Kulikov (14th overall) were all first-round picks in the 2009 NHL Draft.
- The first round of the 2011 NHL Draft saw both Nathan Beaulieu (17th overall) and Joel Armia (16th overall) all go off the board.
- Zemgus Girgensons (14th overall) and Jacob Trouba (9th overall) were both first-round selections in the 2012 NHL Draft.
- The first round of the 2013 NHL Draft saw Rasmus Ristolainen (8th overall), Josh Morrissey (13th overall) and Marko Dano (27th overall) all go off the board.
- Hudson Fasching (118th overall) and Andrew Copp (104th overall) were both taken in the fourth round of the 2013 NHL Draft.
- Sam Reinhart (2nd overall) and Nikolaj Ehlers (9th overall) were both first-round picks in the 2014 NHL Draft.
- The first round of the 2015 NHL Draft saw Jack Eichel (2nd overall), Kyle Connor (17th overall) and Jack Roslovic (25th overall) all go off the board.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (95), McCabe (92), Kane (87)
Blocked Shots: Scandella (65), McCabe (62), Ristolainen (54)
Shots: Kane (170), Eichel (143), O’Reilly (102)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-2 (6), 18/31, 2/32, 24/32
31-40: 3-3-4 (9), 22/27, 3/22, 21/26
41-50: 0-3-0 (0), 6/14, 1/11, 6/10
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-8; 110-119 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling)
Dec. 10 at STL: L, 3-2 (GWG-Tarasenko)
Dec. 15 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Slavin)
Dec. 27 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barzal)
Dec. 29 at NJD: W, 4-3 (GWG-Ristolainen)
Jan. 1 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Miller)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Buffalo Sabres … 2 home wins … 1,000 regular-season home wins
Robin Lehner … 2 games … 200 career games played
Jacob Josefson … 6 games … 300 career games played
Rasmus Ristolainen … 2 assists … 100 career assists
Marco Scandella … 100th NHL point … Jan. 4 at Minnesota