The Buffalo Sabres have agreed to terms with forward Brandon Biro (BIGH-roh) on a two-year, entry-level contract.
“Brandon will bring a combination of skill, hockey sense and character to our organization. We’re confident that his four years at Penn State with Coach Gadowsky have prepared him well for the next phase of his development.”
– Sabres General Manager Jason Botterill
- Recorded a point per game as captain in his senior season with Penn State in 2019-20. Led the Nittany Lions to a 20-10-4 record, including a 12-8-4 conference record that topped the Big Ten.
- Finished his NCAA career ranked in Penn State’s all-time top 10 in goals (T-8th), assists (3rd) and points (4th).
- Won the Big Ten championship as a freshman in 2016-17 and was a Big Ten All-Star Honorable Mention after recording career highs in goals, assists and points as a junior in 2018-19.
- Took part in Buffalo’s Development Camp in June 2018.
The Sabres have recalled defenseman John Gilmour from the Rochester Americans (AHL).
- Signed with the Sabres on July 1, 2019 and appeared in his first four games with the team earlier this season.
- Made his Sabres debut on Oct. 25 at Detroit and logged a season-high 19:56 of ice time on Nov. 1 at Washington.
- Was named to the 2018-19 AHL First All-Star Team after finishing last season among the AHL’s top 10 defensemen in goals (2nd), assists (8th), points (2nd) and game-winning goals (2nd).
The Sabres have recalled defenseman Lawrence Pilut from the Rochester Americans (AHL) and assigned defenseman John Gilmour to Rochester.
- Joins the Sabres for his fifth recall of the season after appearing in 33 games with the team last season.
- Has appeared in 11 games with the Sabres in 2019-20, averaging 16:08 of ice time and tallying five shots on goal.
- Leads all Amerks defensemen in points per game (.62) and has scored a career-high six goals in his second AHL season.
The Buffalo Sabres have acquired forward Dominik Kahun from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for forwards Evan Rodrigues and Conor Sheary.
- Has recorded 27 points through 50 games in his second NHL season after tying for seventh among NHL rookies with 37 points (13+24) in 82 games with the Chicago Blackhawks in 2018-19. Led all Chicago forwards with a plus-10 rating.
- Won three straight DEL championships (2015-16 to 2017-18) with Red Bull München before beginning his North American career with the Blackhawks.
- His five points (2+3) in seven contests at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games helped Germany to a silver medal. Has also represented Germany at four IIHF World Championships (2016 to 2019) and three IIHF World Junior Championships (2013 to 2015).
The Buffalo Sabres have acquired forward Wayne Simmonds from the New Jersey Devils in exchange for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft.
- Has recorded 498 points in 12 NHL seasons, scoring at least 20 goals six times. Has totaled 21 points (8+13) in 44 games in seven career playoff appearances.
- Served as an alternate captain for the Philadelphia Flyers for five seasons (2014-15 to 2018-19) and won the Mark Messier Leadership Award in 2019.
- Represented Canada at the 2013 and 2017 IIHF World Championships, earning a silver medal in 2017.
- Earned MVP honors at the 2017 NHL All-Star Game after helping lead the Metropolitan Division to the All-Star Game title with three goals.