The Sabres have signed defenseman Brandon Montour to a one-year contract with an AAV of $3.85 million.
- Since making his Sabres debut on Feb. 26, 2019, Montour leads all Sabres defensemen with eight goals and a plus-9 rating. He ranks third among the team’s blueliners in points (28) and second in average ice time (20:07) in that time frame.
- Named to the AHL’s First All-Star Team after leading the league in assists by a defenseman and by a rookie in 2015-16. He also played in the 2016 and 2017 AHL All-Star Classics.
- Captured a silver medal with Team Canada at the 2019 IIHF World Championship in Slovakia.
The Sabres have signed defenseman Brandon Davidson to a one-year contract with an AAV of $700,000.
- Led all Stockton defensemen in points per game (.59) last season (min. five games played) while setting an AHL career high with 20 points (3+17) in 34 games.
- Tied his NHL career highs in games played (51) and goals (4) between the Montreal Canadiens, Edmonton Oilers and New York Islanders during the 2017-18 season.
- Named to the WHL (East) Second All-Star Team in 2012 after a 49-point campaign as the captain of the Regina Pats in his last junior season.
The Sabres have signed defenseman Matt Irwin to a one-year contract with an AAV of $700,000.
- An eight-year NHL veteran, Irwin has recorded 82 points (22+60) in 359 career games for the San Jose Sharks, Boston Bruins, Nashville Predators and Anaheim Ducks.
- Has posted four points (1+3) in 47 career playoff games for San Jose and Nashville and played in all 22 of Nashville’s postseason contests during their 2017 Stanley Cup Final run.
- Has a career shot attempts percentage of 51.3 percent and has never finished a full NHL season below 50.1 percent.
The Sabres have signed forward Tobias Rieder to a one-year contract with an AAV of $700,000.
- Has played 434 games through seven NHL seasons with the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings and Arizona Coyotes.
- Recorded five points (3+2) in 10 playoff contests in 2020 with the Flames, tying an NHL postseason record with three shorthanded goals.
- Has represented Germany in seven major international competitions, including four appearances at the IIHF World Championship. He was also a member of the Ralph Krueger-coached Team Europe at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
The Buffalo Sabres have signed forward Zemgus Girgensons to a three-year contract with an AAV of $2.2 million.
- Tied his previous career high with 11 even-strength goals in 2019-20.
- His 19 points (12+7) in 69 games last season marked his highest points-per-game total since he recorded a career-best 30 points (15+15) in 61 games in 2014-15.
- Ranks 32nd on the franchise’s all-time games played list and has totaled seven shorthanded goals in seven seasons with the Sabres, tying for 15th-most in franchise history.