|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Saturday, March 27
Buffalo 2 at Boston 3
Goals: Reinhart, Okposo
Goalie: Ullmark (33 saves/36 shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 5/5; Shots: Boston 36 – Buffalo 27
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 146)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zemgus Girgensons (hamstring, Jan. 14; injured reserve) – 33 games
William Borgen (forearm, Feb. 22; injured reserve) – 19 games
Jake McCabe (knee, Feb. 22; injured reserve) – 19 games
Jack Eichel (upper body, March 9; injured reserve) – 10 games
Carter Hutton (lower body, March 24) – 3 games
Tobias Rieder (upper body, March 24; injured reserve) – 3 games
Tage Thompson (illness March 24) – 3 games
Rasmus Asplund (upper body; March 25) – 2 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/23: Reassigned G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen from the Rochester Americans (AHL) to the taxi squad
3/24: Recalled G Michael Houser from the taxi squad; Placed F Kyle Okposo on injured reserve
3/25: Recalled F Steven Fogarty and F C.J. Smith from the taxi squad; Reassigned F Jean-Sebastien Dea and F Brett Murray from the Rochester Americans (AHL) to the taxi squad; Placed F Rasmus Asplund and F Tobias Rieder on injured reserve
3/26: Acquired a third- and fifth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for center Eric Staal
3/27: Activated F Kyle Okposo and G Linus Ullmark from injured reserve; Recalled F Jean-Sebastien Dea from the taxi squad; Loaned F C.J. Smith and G Michael Houser to the taxi squad
3/28: Reassigned F Brett Murray and G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to the Rochester Americans (AHL).
Wednesday, March 31: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, April 1: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 3: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, April 6: Buffalo at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Thursday, April 8: New Jersey at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
FLYERS at SABRES
- This is the sixth of eight meetings between the Sabres and Flyers this season.
- Last meeting: Philadelphia defeated Buffalo 5-4 (SO) in Philadelphia on March 9
- Next meeting: Wednesday, March 31 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 2-7-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Flyers; 4-6-0 at home.
- This is the 187th game all-time between Buffalo and Philadelphia; Buffalo has a 70-91-25 series record.
- The Sabres are 44-36-10 at home against the Flyers all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 6-7-3 all-time on March 29.
- March 29, 2004: Martin Biron stops 23 shots to record his 17th career shutout and 100th NHL victory, a 6-0 win vs. Columbus.
- March 29, 2016: Ryan O’Reilly records his 300th NHL point with a shorthanded goal as part of a two-point night (1+1) in a 5-4 shootout loss at Pittsburgh.
- March 29, 2018: Casey Mittelstadt plays his first NHL game and records his first NHL point, an assist, in a 6-3 loss to Detroit.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The team that has scored first has won all five of the games so far between the Sabres and Flyers this season.
- Buffalo is 11-for-12 on the penalty kill against the Flyers this season, including a perfect 5-for-5 at home. The team’s 91.7 penalty kill percentage is its best rate against any opponent this season.
- Taylor Hall has 29 points (10+19) in 25 career contests against the Flyers. He has recorded five assists in five meetings with Philadelphia this season.
- Sam Reinhart has four goals in five games against Philadelphia this season.
- Rasmus Ristolainen leads the Sabres with 98 hits this season. His 26 hits against the Flyers is his highest total against a single opponent.
- Brandon Montour’s 12 blocked shots against the Flyers are his most against an opponent this season.
OUT OF THE BOX
- Entering play Sunday, the Sabres were the least-penalized team in the NHL with 6:16 of penalty time per game. Buffalo has been assessed 207 total penalty minutes this season, 13 fewer than the closest team, the New Jersey Devils.
- Buffalo has been assessed a league-low 94 penalties this season.
- Taylor Hall was tied for ninth in the NHL entering play Sunday with 14 penalties drawn this season. Hall’s penalty differential was good for 14th in the league at plus-8.
RISTO IN THE RECORD BOOK
- With his goal on March. 4 at the NY Islanders, Rasmus Ristolainen moved into a tie with Tyler Myers and Jim Schoenfeld for the eighth-most goals by a defenseman in Sabres history. He now trails Richard Smehlik by two goals for seventh-most.
- Ristolainen’s first assist on Jan. 24 at Washington moved him past Jim Schoenfeld for the seventh-most career points recorded by a Sabres defenseman. He currently trails Bill Hajt by nine points for sixth-most.
- Ristolainen holds the franchise record for most overtime goals by a defenseman (4) and is tied for ninth all-time among the team’s blueliners with six game-winning goals.
- Ristolainen’s career per-game output ranks him among the franchise’s top 15 defensemen in every major scoring category (min. 82 GP): .09 G/GP (12th), .37 A/GP (15th), .45 PTS/GP (12th)
- Sabres forward Cody Eakin won a silver medal for Team Canada with Flyers forward Sean Couturier at the 2011 IIHF World Junior Championship. The duo would reunite, along with Sabres forward Taylor Hall, at the 2015 IIHF World Championship, winning a gold medal.
- Sabres forwards Taylor Hall and Cody Eakin won a gold medal with Claude Giroux while representing Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forwards Taylor Hall and Jeff Skinner played for Team Canada with Flyers forward Claude Giroux at the 2013 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forwards Taylor Hall and Sam Reinhart won a gold medal for Team Canada with Flyers assistant coach Mike Yeo, who was one of the team’s assistant coaches, at the 2016 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forwards Curtis Lazar and Sam Reinhart and Flyers forward Scott Laughton all played for Team Canada at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Sabres forward Curtis Lazar and Flyers goaltender Brian Elliott both played for the Calgary Flames during the 2016-17 season.
- Sabres forward Victor Olofsson played for Team Sweden at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship with Flyers forward Oskar Lindblom.
- Sabres forward Sam Reinhart and defenseman Brandon Montour both played for Team Canada with Flyers forward Sean Couturier, Flyers defenseman Philippe Myers and Flyers goaltender Carter Hart at the 2019 IIHF World Championship, taking home a silver medal. Flyers Head Coach Alain Vigneault was the Canada’s head coach during the tournament.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings entering play Sunday)
- Okposo: 1 SHG (T-9th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (98), Miller (67), Lazar (64)
Blocked Shots: Montour (43), Irwin (32), Miller (31)
Shots: Hall (79), Olofsson (72), Dahlin (68)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 4-4-2 (10), 30/32, 12/39, 19/23
11-20: 2-7-1 (5), 16/28, 7/23, 18/23
21-30: 0-9-1 (1), 18/45, 0/14, 18/26
31-40: 0-3-0 (0), 4/12, 1/10, 12/14
OVERTIME RESULTS (0-2; 126-136 all-time)
Jan. 28 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Lafrenière, 2:47)
Feb. 25 vs. NJD: L, 4-3 (GWG-Zacha, 1;17)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (2-2; 79-73 all-time)
Jan. 22 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Carlson)
Jan. 24 at WSH: W, 4-3 (GDG-Eichel)
Jan. 30 vs. NJD: W, 4-3 (GDG-Eichel)
March 9 at PHI: L 5-4 (GDG-Couturier)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Rasmus Ristolainen … 2 goals … 47 career goals (T-7th in franchise history, defensemen)
Kyle Okposo … 2 goals … 200 career goals
Colin Miller … 10 assists … 100 career assists
Rasmus Dahlin … 4 points … 100 career points
Steven Fogarty … 1st career point (assist) … March 27 at BOS
Brandon Montour … 100 career points … March 24 at PIT