|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Monday, March 22
Buffalo 3 at NY Rangers 5
Goals: Asplund, Cozens, Skinner
Goalie: Hutton (2 saves/2 shots), Tokarski (33 saves/37 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 0/2; PK: 1/3; Shots: Rangers 40 – Buffalo 19
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 119)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zemgus Girgensons (hamstring, Jan. 14; injured reserve) – 30 games
William Borgen (forearm, Feb. 22; injured reserve) – 16 games
Jake McCabe (knee, Feb. 22; injured reserve) – 16 games
Linus Ullmark (lower body, Feb. 27; injured reserve) – 13 games
Jack Eichel (upper body, March 9; injured reserve) – 7 games
Kyle Okposo (upper body, March 22) – 1 game
Carter Hutton (lower body) – 0 games
Colin Miller (upper body) – 0 games
Tobias Rieder (upper body) – 0 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/18: Recalled D Jacob Bryson from the taxi squad; Loaned D Brandon Davidson to the taxi squad
3/19: Signed G Michael Houser to a one-year contract worth $700,000
3/20: Acquired a sixth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for G Jonas Johansson
3/21: Reassigned F Steven Fogarty from the Rochester Americans (AHL) to the taxi squad; Loaned G Michael Houser to the taxi squad
3/22: Recalled F Rasmus Asplund and G Dustin Tokarski from the taxi squad
3/23: Reassigned G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen from the Rochester Americans (AHL) to the taxi squad
3/24: Recalled G Michael Houser from the taxi squad
Thursday, March 25: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 27: Buffalo at Boston, 1 p.m.
Monday, March 29: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, March 31: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, April 1: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
PENGUINS at SABRES
- This is the third of eight meetings between the Sabres and Penguins this season.
- Last meeting: Pittsburgh defeated Buffalo 3-0 in Buffalo on March 13.
- The Sabres are 4-6-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Penguins; 3-5-2 on the road.
- This is the 197th game all-time between Buffalo and Pittsburgh; Buffalo has a 69-84-43 series record.
- The Sabres are 27-50-21 on the road against the Penguins all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 13-8-2 all-time on March 24.
- March 24, 1976: The Sabres earn the 200th win in franchise history with a 7-3 win at home against the New York Rangers.
- March 24, 1998: Dominik Hasek makes 29 saves to record the 100th shutout in franchise history in a 2-0 win at Calgary.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- A win tonight would give Buffalo victories in four consecutive trips to Pittsburgh for the second time in the all-time series and the first time since Jan. 5, 1980 to Feb. 21, 1981.
- The road team has won each of the last six meetings between Buffalo and Pittsburgh.
- The Sabres have gone 2-1-0 in each of the last two seasons against the Penguins, winning consecutive season series against Pittsburgh for the first time since 2005-06 and 2006-07. If Buffalo wins this year’s series, it would be the first time it has won three consecutive season series against Pittsburgh since 1979-80 to 1981-82.
- The last seven meetings between the Sabres and Penguins have been won by the team who scored first.
- Taylor Hall has recorded 23 points (9+14) in 20 career meetings with Pittsburgh, including four multi-point outings.
- Eric Staal has 56 points (23+33) in 59 career contests against the Penguins, including 10 (4+6) in his last 11.
- Sam Reinhart has recorded eight points (2+6) and a plus-3 rating in his last six games in Pittsburgh.
- Casey Mittelstadt has three points (1+2) in two career road games against the Penguins.
- Entering play Tuesday, Buffalo tied for ninth in the NHL with a 25.0 percent conversion rate on the power play.
- Entering Tuesday’s games, the Sabres tied the Colorado Avalanche, trailing only the Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Nashville Predators and Tampa Bay Lightning (11) for the NHL lead with 10 different players with at least one goal on the power play.
- Victor Olofsson’s 19 career power-play tallies trail only David Pastrnak (26), Leon Draisaitl (25), and Auston Matthews (21) for the most in the league since he made his NHL debut on March 28, 2019.
OUT OF THE BOX
- Entering Tuesday’s games, the Sabres were the least-penalized team in the NHL with 5:58 of penalty time per game. Buffalo has been assessed 179 total penalty minutes this season, 27 fewer than the next closest team, the New Jersey Devils.
- Buffalo has been assessed 80 penalties this season. Entering play Tuesday, it marked the fewest in the league and was 9 penalties fewer than the next closest teams, the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Taylor Hall is tied for seventh in the NHL with 14 penalties drawn this season. Hall’s penalty differential is tied for 14th in the league at plus-eight.
- Eric Staal scored his 439th career goal on Jan. 30 vs. New Jersey to pass Gary Roberts and improve to 68th on the NHL’s all-time goal-scoring list. His next goal will tie Rick Tocchet for 67th.
- Among active players, Staal’s total of 439 career regular-season goals trails only Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Marleau, and Sidney Crosby.
- With 1,031 career points, Staal has recorded the 80th-most points in NHL history and trails Alexander Mogilny by one point for 79th.
RISTO IN THE RECORD BOOK
- With his goal on March. 4 at the NY Islanders, Rasmus Ristolainen moved into a tie with Tyler Myers and Jim Schoenfeld for the eighth-most goals by a defenseman in Sabres history. He now trails Richard Smehlik by two goals for seventh-most.
- Ristolainen’s first assist on Jan. 24 at Washington moved him past Jim Schoenfeld for the seventh-most career points recorded by a Sabres defenseman. He currently trails Bill Hajt by nine points for sixth-most.
- Ristolainen holds the franchise record for most overtime goals by a defenseman (4) and is tied for ninth all-time among the team’s blueliners with six game-winning goals.
- Ristolainen’s career per-game output ranks him among the franchise’s top 15 defensemen in every major scoring category (min. 82 GP): .09 G/GP (T-11th), .37 A/GP (T-12th), .46 PTS/GP (11th)
- Sabres assistant coach Mike Bales was part of the Penguins organization for six seasons (2011-12 to 2016-17). He began as a goaltending development coach before becoming the team’s goaltending coach at the start of the 2013-14 season.
- Sabres forward Riley Sheahan played for the Penguins for parts two seasons (2017-18 to 2018-19), totaling 41 points (18+23) in 122 games.
- Penguins forward Evan Rodrigues played for the Sabres for parts of five seasons (2015-16 to 2019-20) after being signed by the team as a college free agent in 2015. Rodrigues totaled 71 points (26+45) in 192 games with the club.
- Penguins defenseman Chad Ruhwedel played parts of four seasons (2012-13 to 2015-16) with the Sabres, tallying two assists in 33 games.
- Sabres forwards Cody Eakin and Taylor Hall won a gold medal for Team Canada with Penguins forward Sidney Crosby at the 2015 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Cody Eakin and Penguins forward Colton Sceviour were teammates in Dallas from 2012-13 to 2015-16. Penguins hockey operations advisor Trevor Daley also played for the Stars during Eakin’s tenure with the team.
- Sabres forward Taylor Hall and Sam Reinhart won a gold medal for Team Canada with Penguins defensemen Cody Ceci and Mike Matheson at the 2016 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Curtis Lazar played in Ottawa with Penguins defenseman Cody Ceci for parts of three seasons (2014-15 to 2016-17).
- Sabres forwards Curtis Lazar and Tobias Rieder both played with Penguins forward Mark Jankowski in Calgary, Lazar from 2016-17 to 2018-19 and Rieder in 2019-20. Penguins president of hockey operations Brian Burke held the same role with the Flames during Lazar’s tenure with the team.
- Sabres defenseman Brandon Montour, forward Sam Reinhart and Penguins forward Jared McCann were all on Canada’s silver-medal-winning roster at the 2019 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen and Penguins defenseman Juuso Riikola represented Finland together at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Sabres forward Jeff Skinner and Penguins defenseman Mike Matheson won a silver medal together for Team Canada at the 2017 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Eric Staal and Penguins forward Sidney Crosby won a gold medal together while playing for Canada’s National Team at the 2010 Olympics.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings entering play Tuesday)
- Buffalo Sabres:0% PP% (T-9th), 51.6% FOW% (9th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (88), Miller (58), Lazar (56)
Blocked Shots: Montour (40), Irwin (29), Dahlin/Miller/Ristolainen (25)
Shots: Hall (73), Olofsson (65), Eichel (61)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 4-4-2 (10), 30/32, 12/39, 19/23
11-20: 2-7-1 (5), 16/28, 7/23, 18/23
21-30: 0-9-1 (1), 18/45, 0/14, 18/26
OVERTIME RESULTS (0-2; 126-136 all-time)
Jan. 28 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Lafrenière, 2:47)
Feb. 25 vs. NJD: L, 4-3 (GWG-Zacha, 1;17)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (2-2; 79-73 all-time)
Jan. 22 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Carlson)
Jan. 24 at WSH: W, 4-3 (GDG-Eichel)
Jan. 30 vs. NJD: W, 4-3 (GDG-Eichel)
March 9 at PHI: L 5-4 (GDG-Couturier)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Rasmus Ristolainen … 2 goals … 47 career goals (T-7th in franchise history, defensemen)
Kyle Okposo … 3 goals … 200 career goals
Colin Miller … 10 assists … 100 career assists
Eric Staal … 8 assists … 600 career assists
Brandon Montour … 1 point … 100 career points
Rasmus Dahlin … 5 points … 100 career points
Carter Hutton … 6 wins … 100 career wins