|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Thursday, January 14
Washington 6 at Buffalo 4
Goals: Hall, Rieder, McCabe, Olofsson
Goalie: Hutton (22 saves/27 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 1/3; PK: 1/2; Shots: Washington 28 – Buffalo 26
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 2)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zemgus Girgensons (hamstring, Jan. 14; injured reserve) – 1 game
Kyle Okposo (lower body, Jan. 14) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/11: Assigned F Brandon Biro, F Steven Fogarty, F Brett Murray, F C.J. Smith, D Casey Fitzgerald, D Ryan Jones, G Michael Houser and G Dustin Tokarski to Rochester (AHL)
1/12: Assigned F Andrew Oglevie, F Arttu Ruotsalainen, D Jacob Bryson and D Mattias Samuelsson to Rochester (AHL)
1/13: Assigned F Rasmus Asplund, F Casey Mittelstadt, D William Borgen, D Brandon Davidson and G Jonas Johansson to the taxi squad
1/14: Assigned F Jack Quinn to the taxi squad
Monday, Jan. 18: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 19: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7: p.m.
Friday, Jan. 22: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 24: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 26: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
CAPITALS at SABRES
- This is the second of eight meetings between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
- Last meeting: Washington defeated Buffalo 6-4 in Buffalo on Jan. 14
- Next meeting: Thursday, Feb. 11 vs. Washington
- The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 4-4-2 at home.
- This is the 165th game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has a 90-53-21 series record.
- The Sabres are 49-24-9 at home against the Capitals all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 9-9-3 all-time on January 15.
- January 15, 1982: Buffalo defeats Toronto 8-2 on the strength of a hat trick by Yvon Lambert.
- January 15, 1992: The Sabres tie the New Jersey Devils 8-8 in New Jersey in the highest scoring tie in franchise history. Dale Hawerchuk ties a franchise record with five assists in the game.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Jake McCabe recorded his eighth career multi-point game (1+1) last night; it was his first since Nov. 17, 2018 at Minnesota.
- Rasmus Dahlin has recorded seven points (2+5) in six career meetings with the Capitals.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled eight points (4+4) in his last eight games against Washington.
- Taylor Hall has recorded eight points (3+5) in his last seven meetings with the Capitals.
- Jack Eichel has posted eight points (3+5) in seven games against the Capitals since the beginning of the 2017-18 season.
GOOD FIRST IMPRESSIONS
- Taylor Hall and Tobias Rieder both scored in their Sabres debuts last night vs. Washington.
- If either player scores tonight, he will become the first Sabres player to score in each of his first two games with the franchise since Jochen Hecht did so on Oct. 10 and 12, 2002.
- Dylan Cozens recorded his first NHL point in his NHL debut last night with the primary assist on Rieder’s goal.
WELCOME TO BUFFALO
The Sabres had seven new players on their opening-day roster this season:
|Player, Pos.||How Acquired||Pronunciation||Notes|
|Dylan Cozens, C||Draft (2019)||KUH-zihns||Buffalo’s first-round pick (7th overall) in the 2019 NHL Draft recently earned a silver medal and was named to the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship all-star team after leading all players with eight goals in the tournament.|
|Cody Eakin, C||Free Agency||EE-kihn||His 10 career shorthanded goals tie for 20th-most in the NHL since he entered the league in 2011-12.|
|Taylor Hall, LW||Free Agency||HAWL||Won the Hart Memorial Trophy as the NHL’s MVP in 2017-18; his 1.05 points per game in the last three seasons ranks 17th in the NHL.|
|Matt Irwin, D||Free Agency||UHR-wihn||Has a career shot attempts percentage (SAT%) of 51.3 percent and has never finished a full NHL season below 50.1 percent.|
|Tobias Rieder, LW||Free Agency||REE-duhr||His three shorthanded goals in the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs tied an NHL postseason record; he was the seventh player ever to score three in a single postseason.|
|Riley Sheahan, C||Free Agency||SHAY-uhn||His 5.42 goals against per 60 minutes on the penalty kill in 2019-20 ranked 15th-best among the top 100 NHL forwards in shorthanded ice time.|
|Eric Staal, C||Trade (MIN)||STAWL||Enters the 2020-21 season ranked in the top 10 among active NHL players in career regular-season games played (7th), goals (6th) and points (8th).|
Tonight’s game wraps up Buffalo’s first of eight sets of back-to-back games this season, which began with a 6-4 loss last night vs. Washington. The Sabres were 4-6-2 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 6-5-1 in the second game last season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in 2019-20 back-to-back sets was: four points (1), three points (3), two points (5), one point (0) and zero points (3).
2020-21 ROSTER NOTES
Of the 22 players on Buffalo’s opening night roster:
- Eight were originally drafted by the Sabres — five were first-round selections (Ristolainen, 2013; Reinhart, 2014; Eichel, 2015; Dahlin, 2018; Cozens, 2019), one was a second-round pick (McCabe, 2012), one was a sixth-round pick (Ullmark, 2012) and one was a seventh-round pick (Olofsson, 2014).
- Six were acquired in trades: Jokiharju, Miller, Montour, Skinner, Staal, Thompson
- Eight were signed as free agents: Eakin, Hall, Hutton, Irwin, Lazar, Okposo, Rieder, Sheahan
- Fifteen played in Buffalo at some point last season: Dahlin, Eichel, Hutton, Jokiharju, Lazar, McCabe, Miller, Montour, Okposo, Olofsson, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Skinner, Thompson, Ullmark
- Eight are new to the Sabres this season: Cozens, Eakin, Hall, Irwin, Rieder, Sheahan, Staal
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen/Thompson (3), Eichel/Lazar/McCabe (2)
Blocked Shots: Ristolainen/Staal (2), McCabe/Miller/Olofsson (1)
Shots: Dahlin (4), Rieder (3), Several Players (2)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 0-1-0 (0), 4/6, 1/3, 1/2
OVERTIME RESULTS (0-0; 126-134 all-time)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-0; 77-71 all-time)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Linus Ullmark … 3 games … 100 career games played
Rasmus Ristolainen … 6 games … 500 career games played
Kyle Okposo … 4 goals … 200 career goals
Brandon Montour … 9 points … 100 career points
Carter Hutton … 7 wins … 100 career wins
Dylan Cozens … 1st NHL game … Jan. 14 vs. WSH
Dylan Cozens … 1st NHL point (assist) … Jan. 14 vs. WSH