The Buffalo Sabres have acquired forward Eric Staal from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for forward Marcus Johansson.
- Ranks in the top 10 among active NHL players in career regular-season games played (7th), goals (6th) and points (8th).
- Ranked third among Wild skaters in goals (19) and points (47) in 2019-20, tying for the team lead with 14 even-strength goals and earning his sixth career NHL All-Star Game selection.
- One of six active NHL members of the Triple Gold Club, winning the 2006 Stanley Cup and gold medals with Canada at 2007 IIHF World Championship and 2010 Winter Olympics.
- Helped lead the Carolina Hurricanes to a Stanley Cup championship with an NHL-best 28 points (9+19) in the 2006 NHL Playoffs.
- Played in six NHL All-Star Games and was selected as the All-Star Game MVP in 2008.
- Has represented Canada in four major international competitions, captaining the nation’s 2013 IIHF World Championship team. Won a gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics and at the 2007 IIHF World Championship.
- Has served as a captain or alternate captain in 12 of his 16 NHL seasons, including seven seasons as captain of the Hurricanes.
- Named to the NHL’s second All-Star Team in 2005-06 and the CHL’s First All-Star Team in 2002-03.
- Played in the 2005 AHL All-Star Game, the 2004 NHL YoungStars Game and the 2003 CHL Top Prospects Game.