|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Tuesday, March 3
Buffalo 1 at Winnipeg 3
Goalie: Hutton (32 saves/35 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 2/3; Shots: Winnipeg 35 – Buffalo 26
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 319)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 66 games
Vladimir Sobotka (knee, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 50 games
Tage Thompson (shoulder, Nov. 19; injured reserve) – 46 games
Linus Ullmark (lower body, Jan. 30; injured reserve) – 16 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
Saturday, March 7: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Monday, March 9: Washington at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 12: Buffalo at Montreal, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 13: Boston at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, March 15: Carolina at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
PENGUINS at SABRES
- This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Penguins this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Pittsburgh 5-2 in Pittsburgh on Feb. 22.
- The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Penguins; 2-8-0 at home.
- This is the 194th game all-time between Buffalo and Pittsburgh; Buffalo has a 69-81-43 series record.
- The Sabres are 42-31-22 at home against the Penguins all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 9-11-2 all-time on March 5.
- March 5, 2010: Thomas Vanek records his 300th career NHL point with a goal vs. Philadelphia.
- March 5, 2017: Jack Eichel scores a goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins, becoming the second player in NHL history to record a point against 29 different opponents in his first two seasons in the league.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres are 4-1-0 against the Penguins since the beginning of last season.
- With a win tonight, Buffalo would have three straight wins against Pittsburgh for the first time since the team won five consecutive meetings from Oct. 10, 2005 to Nov. 17, 2006.
- It would be the Sabres’ first season series sweep against the Penguins since the 2005-06 season.
- The Sabres are 7-4-3 against the Metropolitan Division this season with wins in each of their last four games against the division. Buffalo has gone 4-1-1 at home against Metropolitan Division opponents this season.
- If he dresses tonight, Colin Miller will appear in his 300th NHL game.
HOT AGAINST PITTSBURGH
- Jack Eichel has totaled nine points (6+3) in nine games against the Penguins since the beginning of the 2016-17 season.
- Carter Hutton is 5-1-0 with two shutouts and a .940 save percentage in his eight career appearances against Pittsburgh.
- Sam Reinhart has recorded 10 points (3+7) in his last 10 games against the Penguins.
- Marcus Johansson has recorded four points (1+3) in his last four games against the Penguins
- Colin Miller has posted three assists in his last three meetings with Pittsburgh.
- Rasmus Dahlin has a point in both of this season’s matchups with the Penguins (1+1).
THE LOG LINE
- According to NaturalStatTrick.com, the line of Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson and Kyle Okposo has outscored opponents 6-1, outshot them 44-34 and out-attempted them 70-60 when on the ice together in Buffalo’s last seven games games despite having an offensive zone start percentage of just 35.0 percent.
- Girgensons’ 19 points through 66 games are his highest total since his career-best 30 points in 2014-15. He needs three more goals to tie his career high of 15 set in 2014-15.
- With an assist on Tuesday at Winnipeg, Larsson surpassed his previous career high with his 18th point in his 59th game of the season. All 18 points have come at even-strength, topping his previous career high of 15 in 2017-18.
- Larsson is now four goals and one assist from tying his career highs in those categories.
- Okposo has recorded seven points (4+3) in Buffalo’s last eight games.
- Rasmus Dahlin has totaled 81 points (13+68) through his first 138 NHL games, including 37 points (4+33) in 56 games this season.
- With his assist on Feb. 18 at Ottawa, Dahlin passed Ray Bourque (79) for the second-most points recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 20th birthday. He now trails only Phil Housley (132) for the most points ever recorded by a teenage defenseman.
- Dahlin’s .59 points per game in his career rank as the 17th-highest rate among active NHL defensemen with at least 10 career games played. His .66 points per game so far this season represent the best single-season scoring rate by a Sabres defenseman since Brian Campbell (.68) in 2007-08.
SETTING THE PACE
- Jack Eichel is currently on pace to finish the season with 44 goals and 96 points, which would be the highest goal and point totals by a Sabre since Pat LaFontaine (53+95) and Alexander Mogilny (76+51) in 1992-93.
- Sam Reinhart scored his 20th goal of the season in his 55th game on Feb. 7 at NY Rangers, surpassing the 2015-16 season as his previous quickest season to 20 goals (69 games). Reinhart is currently on pace to set a new career high in goals (27).
- Victor Olofsson, who has missed 15 games due to injury this season, is on pace to score 25 goals. If he maintains his current pace, his output will tie Thomas Vanek (25) for sixth-most among all rookies in franchise history. It would be the most goals scored by a Sabres rookie since Donald Audette scored 31 in 1991-92.
- With an assist on Feb. 11 vs. Detroit, Jack Eichel became the 14th player ever to record 70 points in consecutive seasons at least once as a member of the Sabres.
- He needs three points to become just the ninth player in franchise history to record 80 points in back-to-back seasons at least once. He would join Danny Gare, Dale Hawerchuk, Pat LaFontaine, Rick Martin, Alexander Mogilny, Gilbert Perreault, Rene Robert and Pierre Turgeon.
- With his 40th assist on Feb. 13 vs. Columbus, Eichel became the first Sabres player to record 30 goals and 40 assists in a season since Jason Pominville (30+43) in 2011-12. He became the 16th different player in franchise history to accomplish this feat at least once.
POINTS IN BUNCHES
- Jack Eichel has recorded 20 multi-point games this season, tying as the 11th-most in the NHL entering play Wednesday. The Sabres are 15-3-2 (.800) in those games.
- Eichel’s seven multi-goal games tied for fifth-most in the league and his 11 multi-assist games tied for 11th-most.
- Sam Reinhart ranks second on the Sabres with 13 multi-point games this season. The team is 10-2-1 this season (.808) and 41-7-8 (.804) in his career when he records at least two points.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 3/4 games)
- Eichel: 3 OTG (T-2nd), 9 GWG (T-3rd), 35 G (T-6th), 26 PPP (T-7th), 77 PTS (T-10th), 24 EVG (T-10th)
- Olofsson: 11 PPG (T-8th)
- Ristolainen: 195 hits (9th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (195), Girgensons (106), McCabe (85)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (86), Ristolainen (81), Jokiharju (58)
Shots: Eichel (217), Skinner (169), Reinhart (135)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 21/35, 2/26, 21/29
21-30: 3-4-3 (8), 34/34, 4/33, 23/32a
31-40: 4-5-1 (9), 24/32, 4/23, 23/30
41-50: 5-5-0 (10), 30/32, 7/29, 21/29
51-60: 5-4-1 (11), 28/33, 5/23, 13/17
61-70: 2-4-0 (4), 14/18, 2/13, 8/11
OVERTIME RESULTS (6-6; 126-134 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (Eichel, 3:13)
Nov. 14 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (Hamilton, 2:28)
Nov. 27 vs. CGY: L, 3-2 (Lindholm, 1:17)
Nov. 30 at TOR: L, 2-1 (Tavares, 1:45)
Dec. 7 at VAN: L, 6-5 (Miller, 3:21)
Dec. 8 at EDM: W, 3-2 (Miller, 1:13)
Dec. 14 at NYI: L, 3-2 (Beauvillier, 3:04)
Jan. 2 vs. EDM: W, 3-2 (Eichel, 1:09)
Feb. 1 vs. CBJ: W, 2-1 (Eichel, 0:36)
Feb. 13 vs. CBJ: W, 4-3 (Olofsson, 2:44)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-2; 76-71 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
Feb. 6 vs. DET: L, 4-3 (GDG-Larkin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Colin Miller … 1 game … 300 career games played
Kyle Okposo … 3 games … 800 career games played
Sam Reinhart … 3 games … 400 career games played
Rasmus Ristolainen … 10 games … 500 career games played
Kyle Okposo … 4 goals … 200 career goals
Wayne Simmonds … 1 point … 500 career points
Johan Larsson … 3 points … 100 career points
Carter Hutton … 7 wins … 100 career wins
Jimmy Vesey … 300th NHL game … Feb. 28 at VGK