|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Sunday, February 23
Winnipeg 1 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Okposo (2)
Goalie: Johansson (25 saves/26 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 1/1; Shots: Winnipeg 26 – Buffalo 25
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 302)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 62 games
Vladimir Sobotka (knee, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 46 games
Tage Thompson (shoulder, Nov. 19; injured reserve) – 42 games
Linus Ullmark (lower body, Jan. 30; injured reserve) – 12 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/21: Placed D Zach Bogosian on unconditional waivers; Assigned F Scott Wilson to Rochester (AHL)
2/24: Acquired F Wayne Simmonds from New Jersey in exchange for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft; Acquired F Dominik Kahun from Pittsburgh in exchange for F Evan Rodrigues and F Conor Sheary
Friday, Feb. 28: Buffalo at Vegas, 10 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 29: Buffalo at Arizona, 8 p.m.
Tuesday, March 3: Buffalo at Winnipeg, 8 p.m.
Thursday, March 5: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 7: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at AVALANCHE
- This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Avalanche this season.
- Last meeting: Colorado defeated Buffalo 6-1 in Buffalo on Feb. 4.
- The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Avalanche; 3-5-2 on the road.
- This is the 147th game all-time between Buffalo and Colorado; Buffalo has a 62-60-24 series record.
- The Sabres are 24-36-13 on the road against the Avalanche all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 9-10-6 all-time on February 26.
- February 26, 1987: Wilf Paiement records the 99th hat trick in Sabres history in a 4-3 win against the visiting St. Louis Blues.
- February 26, 1995: Dominik Hasek plays his 100th game as a member of the Sabres against the New York Rangers.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Jake McCabe has totaled three points (1+2) in three games against the Avalanche since the beginning of the 2017-18 season.
- Michael Frolik has recorded eight points (2+6) in his last nine visits to Colorado.
- Jack Eichel has totaled four points (1+3) in four career road games against the Avalanche.
- Dominik Kahun tied his career high with three points (0+3) in his last meeting with the Avalanche on Jan. 10 in Colorado.
- Kyle Okposo enters today’s game on his first four-game point streak (4+1) since November 2017. With a point tonight, he would have points in at least five consecutive games for the first time since he tallied points in seven straight from Feb. 4 to 14, 2017.
- Rasmus Dahlin has posted at least a point in 14 of his last 18 games (2+14) dating back to Jan. 4.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has recorded six assists and a plus-8 rating in Buffalo’s last five games.
RETURN OF THE ROOKIE
- Victor Olofsson, who missed 15 games with a lower body injury from Jan. 4 to Feb. 11, has recorded five points (3+2) in five games since returning from injury.
- Entering play Tuesday, Olofsson ranked second among all NHL rookies with 19 goals this season. His .85 points per game led all rookies with more than one game played.
- Olofsson’s 40 points in 47 games so far this season (.85 points per game) this season ranks as the seventh-best scoring rate all-time among Sabres rookies with at least 15 games played:
- Rick Martin (1971-72): 1.01
- Gilbert Perreault (1970-71): .92
- Ray Sheppard (1987-88): .88
- Dave Andreychuk (1982-83): .86
- Phil Housley (1982-83): .86
- Christian Ruuttu (1986-87): .86
- Victor Olofsson (2019-20): .85
- Rasmus Dahlin has totaled 81 points (13+68) through his first 134 NHL games, including 37 points (4+33) in 52 games this season.
- With his assist on Feb. 18 at Ottawa, Dahlin passed Ray Bourque (79) for the second-most points recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 20th birthday. He now trails only Phil Housley (132) for the most points ever recorded by a teenage defenseman.
- Entering play Tuesday, Dahlin’s .60 points per game in his career ranked as the 12th-highest rate among active NHL defensemen with at least 10 career games played. His .71 points per game so far this season represent the best single-season scoring rate by a Sabres defenseman with more at least 15 games played since Phil Housley (1.01) in 1989-90.
SETTING THE PACE
- Jack Eichel is currently on pace to finish the season with 46 goals and 102 points, which would be the highest goal and point totals by a Sabre since Pat LaFontaine (53+95) and Alexander Mogilny (76+51) in 1992-93.
- LaFontaine (83 in 1992-93), Mogilny (78 in 1992-93) and Gilbert Perreault (70 in 1975-76 and 67 in 1979-80) are the only Sabres ever to have recorded more even-strength points in a season than the 66 Eichel is currently on pace for.
- Sam Reinhart scored his 20th goal of the season in his 55th game on Feb. 7 at NY Rangers, surpassing the 2015-16 season as his previous quickest season to 20 goals (69 games). Reinhart is currently on pace to set career-high totals in both goals (29) and points (66).
- Despite missing 10 games due to injury, Rasmus Dahlin is currently on pace to record 51 points this season, which would make him the Sabres’ first 50-point defenseman since Garry Galley (54) in 1995-96.
- Victor Olofsson, who has missed 15 games due to injury this season, is on pace for 57 points. If he maintains his current pace, his output will supplant Eichel and Derek Plante as the seventh-most prolific rookie season in Sabres history. It would be the best since Ray Sheppard’s 65 points in 1987-88. He is on pace for 27 goals, which would rank him sixth among all rookies in franchise history.
- Jack Eichel has been held without a point in just five of his last 43 games played. During that stretch, which began with a four-goal performance vs. Ottawa on Nov. 16, Buffalo’s captain has totaled 58 points (27+31) in 43 appearances, also missing one game due to injury. Only Artemi Panarin (62) had more points during that stretch entering play Tuesday.
- With an assist on Feb. 11 vs. Detroit, Eichel became the 14th player ever to record 70 points in consecutive seasons at least once as a member of the Sabres. He needs three points to become just the ninth player in franchise history to record 80 points in back-to-back seasons at least once. He would join Danny Gare, Dale Hawerchuk, Pat LaFontaine, Rick Martin, Alexander Mogilny, Gilbert Perreault, Rene Robert and Pierre Turgeon.
- With his 40th assist on Feb. 13 vs. Columbus, Eichel became the first Sabres player to record 30 goals and 40 assists in a season since Jason Pominville (30+43) in 2011-12. He became the 16th different player in franchise history to accomplish this feat at least once.
POINTS IN BUNCHES
- Jack Eichel has recorded 20 multi-point games this season, ranking as the 11th-most in the NHL before Tuesday’s games. The Sabres are 15-3-2 (.800) in those games.
- Entering play Tuesday, Eichel’s seven multi-goal games tied for fifth-most in the league and his 11 multi-assist games tied for 10-most.
- Sam Reinhart ranks second on the Sabres with 13 multi-point games this season. The team is 10-2-1 this season (.808) and 41-7-8 (.804) in his career when he records at least two points.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/25 games)
- Eichel: 3 OTG (T-2nd), 9 GWG (T-2nd), 35 G (T-5th), 24 EVG (T-6th), 26 PPP (T-6th), 77 PTS (T-7th), 50 EVP (T-8th)
- Olofsson: 11 PPG (T-5th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (179), Girgensons (99), McCabe (81)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (81), Ristolainen (70), Jokiharju (56)
Shots: Eichel (206), Skinner (156), Reinhart (127)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 21/35, 2/26, 21/29
21-30: 3-4-3 (8), 34/34, 4/33, 23/32
31-40: 4-5-1 (9), 24/32, 4/23, 23/30
41-50: 5-5-0 (10), 30/32, 7/29, 21/29
51-60: 5-4-1 (11), 28/33, 5/23, 13/17
61-70: 2-0-0 (4), 7/3, 2/6, 3/3
OVERTIME RESULTS (6-6; 126-134 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (Eichel, 3:13)
Nov. 14 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (Hamilton, 2:28)
Nov. 27 vs. CGY: L, 3-2 (Lindholm, 1:17)
Nov. 30 at TOR: L, 2-1 (Tavares, 1:45)
Dec. 7 at VAN: L, 6-5 (Miller, 3:21)
Dec. 8 at EDM: W, 3-2 (Miller, 1:13)
Dec. 14 at NYI: L, 3-2 (Beauvillier, 3:04)
Jan. 2 vs. EDM: W, 3-2 (Eichel, 1:09)
Feb. 1 vs. CBJ: W, 2-1 (Eichel, 0:36)
Feb. 13 vs. CBJ: W, 4-3 (Olofsson, 2:44)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-2; 76-71 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
Feb. 6 vs. DET: L, 4-3 (GDG-Larkin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Jimmy Vesey … 2 games … 300 career games played
Colin Miller … 4 games … 300 career games played
Kyle Okposo … 7 games … 800 career games played
Sam Reinhart … 7 games … 400 career games played
Kyle Okposo … 4 goals … 200 career goals
Wayne Simmonds … 2 points … 500 career points
Johan Larsson … 5 points … 100 career points
Carter Hutton … 7 wins … 100 career wins
Henri Jokiharju … 100th NHL game … Feb. 23 vs. WPG
Jonas Johansson … 1st NHL win … Feb. 23 vs. WPG