|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Friday, February 7
Buffalo 3 at NY Rangers 2
Goals: Girgensons, Reinhart, Vesey
Goalie: Hutton (37 saves/39 shots)
PP: 0/1; PK: 1/2; Shots: NY Rangers 39 – Buffalo 28
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 266)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 55 games
Vladimir Sobotka (knee, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 39 games
Tage Thompson (shoulder, Nov. 19; injured reserve) – 35 games
Victor Olofsson (lower body, Jan. 4; injured reserve) – 13 games
Linus Ullmark (lower body, Jan. 30; injured reserve) – 5 games
Kyle Okposo (upper body, Feb. 1; injured reserve) – 4 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/4: Recalled F Rasmus Asplund from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Kyle Okposo on IR
2/5: Recalled F Scott Wilson from Rochester (AHL); Assigned F Jean Sebastien Dea to Rochester (AHL)
2/8: Assigned F Rasmus Asplund and D Lawrence Pilut to Rochester (AHL)
2/9: Recalled D Lawrence Pilut and G Andrew Hammond from Rochester (AHL)
Tuesday, Feb. 11: Detroit at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 13: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 16: Toronto at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 18: Ottawa at Buffalo, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 22: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 1 p.m.
DUCKS at SABRES
- This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Ducks this season.
- Last meeting: Anaheim defeated Buffalo 5-2 in Anaheim on Oct. 16, 2019.
- The Sabres are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Ducks; 5-4-1 at home.
- This is the 40th game all-time between Buffalo and Anaheim; Buffalo has a 20-15-4 series record.
- The Sabres are 9-6-4 at home against the Ducks all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 9-6-4 all-time on February 9.
- February 9, 1984: Gilbert Perreault records his 700th NHL assist in an 8-5 win vs. New Jersey.
- February 9, 2019: Rasmus Ristolainen appears in his 400th NHL game and Linus Ullmark makes 28 saves, finishing the game with the best save percentage through 50 career games among any goaltender to play those first 50 NHL games with the Sabres, in a 3-1 win vs. Detroit.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Today’s game is the seventh in a 20-day stretch during which the Sabres play nine of 10 games at home. The lone road game during that span took place on Friday at NY Rangers.
- The Sabres are 5-1-2 in afternoon games this season, including a 5-1-0 record at home.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 14 points (8+6) in the Sabres’ last 14 contests.
- The Ducks have averaged just 2.44 goals per game in their 39 all-time meetings against the Sabres, marking Buffalo’s fewest goals against per game against any opponent.
- Jeff Skinner has recorded at least a point in each of his last eight games against the Ducks (6+5).
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 10 points (1+9) in his last nine games against Anaheim, including points in each of his last five (1+7).
- Jack Eichel has nine points (3+6) in nine career games against the Ducks and enters today’s game on a four-game point streak against Anaheim (2+4).
- Marcus Johansson has posted six points (4+2) in his last five games against Anaheim.
SHUTTING OUT THE DUCKS
- The Sabres have shut out the Ducks eight times in the 39 games all-time between the clubs (Dominik Hasek-3, Martin Biron-2, Chad Johnson-1, Ryan Miller-1, Linus Ullmark-1).
- This amounts to one shutout for every 4.875 meetings, the Sabres’ highest shutout-to-games ratio against any current NHL team. The next highest ratio is 11.33 games per shutout (Columbus, three shutouts in 34 games).
- The Sabres’ last shutout against the Ducks occurred in the Ducks’ last visit to Buffalo on Dec. 22, 2018.
- Rasmus Dahlin has totaled 74 points (12+62) through his first 127 NHL games, including 30 points (3+27) in 45 games this season.
- With his assist on Jan. 30 vs. Montreal, Dahlin passed Bobby Orr (72) for fourth-most points recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 20th birthday. He now trails only Phil Housley (132), Ray Bourque (79) and Rick Hampton (76) for most points ever recorded by a teenage defenseman.
- Aaron Ekblad’s 61 points (22+39) in 129 games as a teenager led active NHL defensemen for most points before turning 20 until Dahlin recorded his 62nd point with an assist in his 108th NHL game on Dec. 14 at NY Islanders. Andrei Svechnikov is the only active teenager in the NHL with more career points than Dahlin’s 72.
- Entering play Saturday, Dahlin’s .58 points per game in his career ranked as the 18th-highest rate among active NHL defensemen with at least 10 career games played. His .67 points per game so far this season represent the best single-season scoring rate by a Sabres defenseman since Brian Campbell (.68) in 2007-08.
SETTING THE PACE
- With his 29th goal in his 49th game of the season on Jan. 28 vs. Ottawa, Jack Eichel topped his previous best total set in the 2018-19 season (77 GP). He now has 31 goals in 54 games played this season.
- Eichel’s output through 55 team games currently has him on pace to finish the season with 46 goals and 102 points, which would be the highest goal and point totals by a Sabre since Pat LaFontaine (53+95) and Alexander Mogilny (76+51) in 1992-93.
- LaFontaine (83 in 1992-93), Mogilny (78 in 1992-93) are the only Sabres ever to have recorded more even-strength points in a season than the 71 Eichel is currently on pace for.
- Sam Reinhart has scored 20 goals through his first 55 games this season, surpassing the 2015-16 season as his previous quickest season to 20 goals (69 games). Reinhart is currently on pace to set career-high totals in both goals (30) and points (67).
- Entering play Saturday, Jack Eichel’s 31 goals this season ranked fourth among all NHL players and his 68 points tied for seventh in the league.
- Eichel has been held without a point in just four of his last 35 games played. During that stretch, which began with a four-goal performance vs. Ottawa on Nov. 16, Buffalo’s captain has totaled 49 points (23+26) in 35 appearances, also missing one game due to injury.
- Eichel represented the Sabres at NHL All-Star Weekend on Jan. 24 and 25 in St. Louis. With his third consecutive All-Star nod, Eichel became the seventh player in franchise history to represent the team in at least three NHL All-Star Games. His four assists at this year’s event moved him past Rick Martin (7) for the most career All-Star Game points as a member of the Sabres (2+6).
- He joins Martin as the only other player in franchise history to record at least 20 goals and 50 points in each of his first five NHL seasons.
- Eichel’s 60th point of the season on Jan. 14 vs. Vegas made him the first Sabre to reach 60 points in 46 or fewer games since 1992-93 (Pat LaFontaine and Alexander Mogilny).
- With his 30th goal on Jan. 30 vs. Montreal, Jack Eichel became the first Sabres player to record 30 goals and 30 assists in a season since Jason Pominville (30+43) in 2011-12. He became the 23rd different player in franchise history to accomplish this feat at least once and tied Gilbert Perreault’s 1974-75 season as the sixth-fewest games needed to reach the 30/30 mark (50).
POINTS IN BUNCHES
- Jack Eichel has recorded 18 multi-point games this season, tying as the 10th-most in the NHL before Saturday’s games. The Sabres are 13-3-2 (.778) in those games.
- Entering play Saturday, Eichel’s six multi-goal games tied for fourth-most in the league and his 10 multi-assist games tied for ninth-most.
- Eichel has recorded at least three points seven times this season, topping his previous career-high total (6) set in the 2016-17 season. Only Connor McDavid (11), Leon Draisaitl (10), David Pastrnak (9) and Artemi Panarin (8) had more games with at least three points this season entering play Saturday.
- Sam Reinhart ranks second on the Sabres with 11 multi-point games this season. The team is 8-2-1 this season (.773) and 39-7-8 (.796) in his career when he records at least two points.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/8 games)
- Eichel: 3 OTG (T-2nd), 23 EVG (3rd), 7 GWG (3rd), 31 G (4th), 47 EVP (T-4th), 68 PTS (T-7th)
- Ristolainen: 166 hits (10th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (166), Girgensons (91), McCabe (73)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (72), Ristolainen (62), Jokiharju (50)
Shots: Eichel (179), Skinner (143), Reinhart (115)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 21/35, 2/26, 21/29
21-30: 3-4-3 (8), 34/34, 4/33, 23/32
31-40: 4-5-1 (9), 24/32, 4/23, 23/30
41-50: 5-5-0 (10), 30/32, 7/29, 21/29
51-60: 2-2-1 (5), 10/16, 1/10, 7/9
OVERTIME RESULTS (5-6; 125-134 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (Eichel, 3:13)
Nov. 14 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (Hamilton, 2:28)
Nov. 27 vs. CGY: L, 3-2 (Lindholm, 1:17)
Nov. 30 at TOR: L, 2-1 (Tavares, 1:45)
Dec. 7 at VAN: L, 6-5 (Miller, 3:21)
Dec. 8 at EDM: W, 3-2 (Miller, 1:13)
Dec. 14 at NYI: L, 3-2 (Beauvillier, 3:04)
Jan. 2 vs. EDM: W, 3-2 (Eichel, 1:09)
Feb. 1 vs. CBJ: W, 2-1 (Eichel, 0:36)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-2; 76-71 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
Feb. 6 vs. DET: L, 4-3 (GDG-Larkin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Henri Jokiharju … 7 games … 100 career games played
Jimmy Vesey … 9 games … 300 career games played
Scott Wilson … 9 games … 200 career games played
Jack Eichel … 5 assists … 200 career assists
Zach Bogosian … 6 points … 200 career points
Johan Larsson … 9 points … 100 career points
Jonas Johansson … 1st NHL game … Feb. 4 vs. COL