|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Tuesday, January 28
Ottawa 5 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Reinhart, Eichel
Goalie: Ullmark (30 saves/33 shots) / Hutton (4 saves/4 shots); 2 ENG
PP: 1/4; PK: 1/4; Shots: Ottawa 39 – Buffalo 30
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 231)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 50 games
Vladimir Sobotka (knee, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 34 games
Tage Thompson (shoulder, Nov. 19; injured reserve) – 30 games
Victor Olofsson (lower body, Jan. 4; injured reserve) – 8 games
Linus Ullmark (lower body, Jan. 30) – 0 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/26: Recalled D Lawrence Pilut from Rochester (AHL)
1/28: Activated F Jeff Skinner from IR
1/29: Recalled G Jonas Johansson from Rochester (AHL)
Saturday, Feb. 1: Columbus at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 4: Colorado at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 6: Detroit at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 7: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 9: Anaheim at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
CANADIENS at SABRES
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Canadiens this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Montreal 5-4 (OT) in Buffalo on Oct. 9, 2019.
- Next meeting: Thursday, March 12 in Montreal
- The Sabres are 5-3-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Canadiens; 5-3-2 at home.
- This is the 285th game all-time between Buffalo and Montreal; Buffalo has a 130-113-41 series record.
- The Sabres are 75-40-27 at home against the Canadiens all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 10-6-3 all-time on January 30.
- January 30, 2007: Daniel Briere scores his second of two hat tricks as a member of the Sabres as the Sabres defeat the Bruins 7-1 in Buffalo.
- January 30, 2008: Ryan Miller stops all 32 Florida shots and Thomas Vanek scores the lone Buffalo goal as the Sabres defeat the Panthers 1-0 in Florida.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Buffalo is 4-1-0 against Montreal since the beginning of last season. A win tonight would give the Sabres wins in four straight visits from the Canadiens for the first time since they won seven consecutive matchups in Buffalo from Dec. 26, 2001 to March 24, 2004.
- Jack Eichel has been held without a point in just three of his last 31 games played. During that stretch, which began with a four-goal performance vs. Ottawa on Nov. 16, Buffalo’s captain has totaled 44 points (21+23) in 31 appearances, also missing one game due to injury.
- Entering play Wednesday, Eichel trailed only Artemi Panarin (47) and Nathan MacKinnon (46) for the most points in the league during that timeframe.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 22 points (9+13) in the Sabres’ last 22 contests, including at least a point in eight of the last nine (6+5).
HOT AGAINST MONTREAL
- Jeff Skinner has recorded 20 points (14+6) in 20 games against Montreal since the beginning of the 2013-14 season, including eight points (5+3) in five games against the Canadiens since joining the Sabres in 2018-19.
- Marcus Johansson has eight points (1+7) in his last eight games against the Canadiens, including points in each of his three games against Montreal since the beginning of last season.
- Jack Eichel has recorded a multi-point game in each of his last four matchups with Montreal, totaling 10 points (3+7) in those contests.
- Rasmus Dahlin has recorded five assists in five career games against the Canadiens.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled five points (2+3) in five meetings with Montreal since the beginning of last season.
- Colin Miller enters tonight’s game with an assist in each of his last three games against the Canadiens.
- Tonight’s game is the second in a 20-day stretch during which the Sabres will play nine of 10 games at home. The lone road game during that span will take place on Feb. 7 at NY Rangers.
- The Sabres are 14-7-3 through their first 24 home games of the season. The team’s .646 points percentage at home ranked 13th in the NHL before Wednesday’s games. If they finished the season at this pace, it would rank as the Sabres’ 20th-best home record in franchise history.
- The team is averaging 3.38 goals per game at home this season, which would mark Buffalo’s best home scoring rate since the 2007-08 season (3.39).
- With 39 points (21+18) in 24 home games this season, Jack Eichel’s 1.63 points per game at home ranked third in the league entering play Wednesday. His plus-19 rating at home tied for the league lead.
- Sam Reinhart (12+13) is also producing at over a point-per-game rate through 24 home games this season. Reinhart has totaled 14 points (6+8) in his last 10 games at KeyBank Center, including five multi-point outings.
- Jack Eichel, who has already recorded a career-high 29 goals this season, is one goal away from becoming the first Sabres player to record 30 goals and 30 assists in a season since Jason Pominville (30+43) in 2011-12.
- He would become the 23rd different player in franchise history to accomplish this feat at least once. Gilbert Perreault reached the 30/30 mark a franchise-record 10 times in his 17-season career.
- With a goal tonight, Eichel would reach the 30/30 mark in 50 games played, matching Perreault’s personal best for fewest games needed to get to 30 goals and 30 assists (1974-75). Only five Sabres have tallied 30 goals and 30 assists in a season in fewer than 50 games played:
- Pat LaFontaine, 1991-92: 31 GP
- Pat LaFontaine, 1992-93: 42 GP
- Rick Martin, 1974-75: 47 GP
- Alexander Mogilny, 1992-93: 47 GP
- Rene Robert, 1972-73: 48 GP
- Rasmus Dahlin has totaled 72 points (12+60) through his first 124 NHL games, including 28 points (3+25) in 42 games this season.
- With his assist on Jan.18 at Dallas, Dahlin tied Bobby Orr for fourth-most points recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 20th birthday. He now trails only Phil Housley (132), Ray Bourque (79) and Rick Hampton (76) for most points ever recorded by a teenage defenseman.
- Aaron Ekblad’s 61 points (22+39) in 129 games as a teenager led active NHL defensemen for most points before turning 20 until Dahlin recorded his 62nd point with an assist in his 108th NHL game on Dec. 14 at NY Islanders.
- Andrei Svechnikov is the only active teenager in the NHL with more career points than Dahlin’s 72. He has 82 points (39+43) in 132 career games.
- Entering play Wednesday, Dahlin’s .58 points per game in his career ranked as the 20th-highest rate among active NHL defensemen with at least 10 career games played. His .67 points per game so far this season represent the best single-season scoring rate by a Sabres defenseman since Brian Campbell (.68) in 2007-08.
SETTING THE PACE
- With his 29th goal in his 49th game of the season on Jan. 28 vs. Ottawa, Jack Eichel topped his previous best total set in the 2018-19 season (77 GP).
- Eichel’s output through 50 team games currently has him on pace to finish the season with 48 goals and 104 points, which would be the highest goal and point totals by a Sabre since Pat LaFontaine (53+95) and Alexander Mogilny (76+51) in 1992-93.
- LaFontaine (83 in 1992-93) and Mogilny (78 in 1992-93) are the only Sabres ever to have recorded more even-strength points in a season than the 71 Eichel is currently on pace for.
- Sam Reinhart is currently on pace to set career-high totals in goals (30) and points (69).
- Entering play Wednesday, Jack Eichel’s 29 goals this season ranked him fifth among all NHL players and his 63 points tied for eighth in the league.
- Eichel represented the Sabres at NHL All-Star Weekend on Jan. 24 and 25 in St. Louis. With his third consecutive All-Star nod, Eichel became the seventh player in franchise history to represent the team in at least three NHL All-Star Games. His four assists at this year’s event moved him past Rick Martin (7) for the most career All-Star Game points as a member of the Sabres (2+6).
- He joins Martin as the only other player in franchise history to record at least 20 goals and 50 points in each of his first five NHL seasons.
- With his 60th point of the season on Jan. 14 vs. Vegas, Eichel became the first Sabre to reach 60 points in 46 or fewer games since 1992-93 (Pat LaFontaine and Alexander Mogilny).
- Eichel hasn’t been held without a point in three consecutive appearances since early November. In his 33 games played since then, he has totaled 46 points (22+24), including a stretch of 18 straight appearances (Nov. 16 to Dec. 21) that tied Gilbert Perreault (Oct. 24 to Dec. 4, 1971) for the most consecutive games played with a point in franchise history.
POINTS IN BUNCHES
- Jack Eichel has recorded 17 multi-point games this season, tying for the 10th-most in the NHL before Wednesday’s games. The Sabres are 12-3-2 (.765) in those games.
- Entering play Wednesday, Eichel’s six multi-goal games tied for third-most in the league and his nine multi-assist games tied for eighth-most.
- Eichel has recorded at least three points seven times this season, topping his previous career-high total (6) set in the 2016-17 season. Only Connor McDavid (11), Leon Draisaitl (9), Artemi Panarin (8) and David Pastrnak (8) had more games with at least three points this season entering play Wednesday.
- Sam Reinhart ranks second on the Sabres with 11 multi-point games this season. The team is 8-2-1 this season (.773) and 39-7-8 (.796) in his career when he records at least two points.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 1/29 games)
- Eichel: 22 EVG (T-3rd), 6 GWG (T-3rd), 43 EVP (T-4th), 29 G (5th), 63 PTS (T-8th)
- Hutton: 2 SO (T-8th)
- Olofsson: 9 PPG (T-8th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (149), Girgensons (78), McCabe (65)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (63), Ristolainen (56), Jokiharju (45)
Shots: Eichel (166), Skinner (129), Reinhart (104)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 21/35, 2/26, 21/29
21-30: 3-4-3 (8), 34/34, 4/33, 23/32
31-40: 4-5-1 (9), 24/32, 4/23, 23/30
41-50: 5-5-0 (10), 30/32, 7/29, 21/29
OVERTIME RESULTS (4-6; 124-134 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (GWG-Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (GWG-Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 3:13)
Nov. 14 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Hamilton, 2:28)
Nov. 27 vs. CGY: L, 3-2 (GWG-Lindholm, 1:17)
Nov. 30 at TOR: L, 2-1 (GWG-Tavares, 1:45)
Dec. 7 at VAN: L, 6-5 (GWG-Miller, 3:21)
Dec. 8 at EDM: W, 3-2 (GWG-Miller, 1:13)
Dec. 14 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Beauvillier, 3:04)
Jan. 2 vs. EDM: W, 3-2 (GWG-Eichel, 1:09)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-1; 76-70 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Linus Ullmark … 4 games … 100 career games played
Kyle Okposo … 8 goals … 200 career goals
Jack Eichel … 8 assists … 200 career assists
Kyle Okposo … 1 point … 500 career points
Zach Bogosian … 6 points … 200 career points
Johan Larsson … 9 points … 100 career points