|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Monday, November 25
Buffalo 2 at Tampa Bay 5
Goals: Reinhart, Vesey
Goalie: Hutton (24 saves/29 shots)
PP: 0/4; PK: 3/4; Shots: Buffalo 30 – Tampa Bay 29
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 110)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 24 games
Vladimir Sobotka (knee, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 8 games
Marcus Johansson (upper body, Nov. 14) – 7 games
Kyle Okposo (concussion, Nov. 17; injured reserve) – 5 games
Tage Thompson (upper body, Nov. 19; injured reserve) – 4 games
Evan Rodrigues (lower body, Nov. 25) – 1 game
Rasmus Dahlin (concussion, Nov. 27; injured reserve) – 0 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/21: Activated D Zach Bogosian from IR; Placed F Tage Thompson on IR
11/22: Placed D John Gilmour on waivers
11/23: Assigned D John Gilmour to Rochester (AHL)
11/24: Acquired D Matthew Spencer from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for D Devante Stephens; Assigned Spencer to Cincinnati (ECHL)
11/25: Recalled F Jean-Sebastien Dea from Rochester (AHL)
11/27: Activated F Marcus Johansson from IR; Placed D Rasmus Dahlin on IR
Friday, Nov. 29: Toronto at Buffalo, 4 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 30: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 2: New Jersey at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 5: Buffalo at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 7: Buffalo at Vancouver, 4 p.m.
FLAMES at SABRES
- This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Flames this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Calgary 4-3 (OT) in Calgary on Jan. 16
- Next meeting: Thursday, Dec. 5 in Calgary
- The Sabres are 5-3-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Flames; 7-1-2 at home.
- This is the 110th game all-time between Buffalo and Calgary; Buffalo has a 53-37-19 series record.
- The Sabres are 33-14-7 at home against the Flames all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 12-6-5 all-time on November 27.
- November 27, 1971: Craig Ramsay appears in his first NHL game, a 5-2 loss at Vancouver. Ramsay would go on to play 1,070 games during the course of his NHL career, all with the Sabres, trailing only Gilbert Perreault (1,191) for most in franchise history.
- November 27, 2005: Jason Pominville scores his first career NHL goal on Olaf Kolzig in a 3-2 win at Washington.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres and Flames have split their season series in each of the last five seasons. They will meet again in eight days to wrap up the two-game season series.
- Brandon Montour is expected to appear in his 200th NHL game tonight.
- With his 30th point of the season on Monday at Tampa Bay, Jack Eichel became the first Sabre to reach the 30-point mark in 24 or fewer games since Thomas Vanek did so in 24 games in 2012-13.
- All nine of Jeff Skinner’s goals this season have come during 5-on-5 play. According to NaturalStatTrick.com, he entered play Tuesday tied for sixth-most in the league.
- Jack Eichel has scored in each of his last four meetings with Calgary, totaling five points (4+1) in those games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has totaled eight points (4+4) in eight games against the Flames since the beginning of the 2015-16 season.
- Jeff Skinner has posted nine points (3+6) in his last nine matchups with the Flames.
- Jack Eichel enters tonight’s game on a six-game point streak that began on Nov. 16. Entering play Tuesday, his six goals and 11 points during the streak both led the NHL during that timeframe.
- Victor Olofsson has recorded points in eight of his last nine games (2+6), including an assist in each of his last four home games. He enters tonight on his third four-game point streak of the season (1+3). With a point tonight, he would extend the streak to a career-best five games.
- Sam Reinhart and Jimmy Vesey each enter tonight’s game with points in Buffalo’s last two games (1+1). With a point tonight, Vesey would have his longest point streak of the season.
SETTING THE PACE
- With 14 goals in 24 games so far this season, Jack Eichel is already halfway to his previous best goal total (28), set in the 2018-19 season.
- Eichel’s output through 24 games currently has him on pace to finish the season with 48 goals and 103 points, which would be the highest goal and point totals by a Sabre since Pat LaFontaine (53+95) and Alexander Mogilny (76+51) in 1992-93.
- Sam Reinhart’s nine goals through 24 games put him on pace for a career-high total (31).
- Victor Olofsson’s goal and point totals currently have him on pace for the best offensive season by a Sabres rookie in decades. If he maintains his current pace, he would finish the season with the most goals by a Sabres rookie (27) since Donald Audette’s 31 in 1991-92 and the most points by a Sabres rookie (62) since Ray Sheppard’s 65 in 1987-88.
POINTS IN BUNCHES
- Jack Eichel has recorded eight multi-point games this season, tying for 12th-most in the league before Tuesday’s games.
- Entering play Tuesday, his three multi-goal games tied for fifth-most (two shy of the league lead) and his six multi-assist games tied for fourth-most (one behind the league leaders).
- Eichel has already recorded at least three points five times this season, matching his previous career-high total set in the 2016-17 season. Only Leon Draisaitl (8) and Connor McDavid (8) had more games with at least three points this season entering play Tuesday.
- Entering play Tuesday, Eichel’s three games with at least four points this season tied Connor McDavid for the league lead. Since he entered the league in 2015-16, only six players have totaled at least four points more times than Eichel’s eight: Nikita Kucherov (15), Patrick Kane (10), Connor McDavid (10), Johnny Gaudreau (9), Brad Marchand (9), Steven Stamkos (9)
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 11/26 games)
- Eichel: 480 FO (4th), 10 EVG (T-6th), 14 G (T-7th), 30 PTS (T-7th), 1 OTG (T-9th), 20 EVP (T-10th)
- Hutton: 2 SO (T-1st)
- Johansson: 1 OTG (T-9th)
- Olofsson: 6 PPG (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 78 hits (7th)
- Ullmark: 1 SO (T-8th)
- Sabres forward Curtis Lazar was a part of the Flames’ organization for three seasons (2016-17 to 2018-19). He totaled 15 points (3+12) in 70 games with Calgary.
- Sabres defenseman Zach Bogosian played in Winnipeg with Flames forward Michael Frolik for two seasons (2013-14 to 2014-15).
- Sabres forward Jack Eichel and Flames forward Derek Ryan played for Team USA together at the 2019 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Jack Eichel won a bronze medal with Flames defenseman Noah Hanifin while representing the United States at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship. The two were later teammates at the 2017 and 2019 IIHF World Championships.
- Sabres forward Johan Larsson and Flames forward Mikael Backlund won a gold medal together while representing Sweden at the 2018 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Colin Miller was a teammate of Flames forward Zac Rinaldo in Boston for one season (2015-16).
- Sabres defenseman Jake McCabe and forward Jimmy Vesey won a gold medal for Team USA with Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Jake McCabe played with Flames defenseman Noah Hanifin at the 2016 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Sam Reinhart won a gold medal for Team Canada with Flames goaltender Cam Talbot at the 2016 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Marco Scandella won a silver medal with Flames defenseman Travis Hamonic at the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Sabres forward Jeff Skinner played for the Hurricanes with Flames defenseman Noah Hanifin (2015-16 to 2017-18), forward Elias Lindholm (2013-14 to 2017-18) and forward Derek Ryan (2015-16 to 2017-18).
- Sabres forward Jeff Skinner played for Team Canada with Flames defenseman TJ Brodie at the 2013 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres goaltender Linus Ullmark and Flames forward Mikael Backlund played for Team Sweden together at the 2014 IIHF World Championship.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (78), McCabe (43), Girgensons (34)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (41), Ristolainen (35), Jokiharju (23)
Shots: Skinner (86), Eichel (84), Olofsson (60)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 21/35, 2/26, 21/29
21-30: 1-3-0 (2), 10/14, 1/13, 12/17
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-2; 122-130 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (GWG-Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (GWG-Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 3:13)
Nov. 14 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Hamilton, 2:28)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-1; 76-70 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Brandon Montour … 1 game … 200 career games played
Jake McCabe … 3 games … 300 career games played
Sam Reinhart … 4 goals … 100 career goals
Jimmy Vesey … 6 points … 100 career points