|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Thursday, November 21
Buffalo 2 at Boston 3
Goals: Ristolainen, Montour
Goalie: Ullmark (24 saves/27 shots)
PP: 1/4; PK: 0/2; Shots: Buffalo 38 – Boston 27
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 99)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (hip, Oct. 3) – 22 games
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 22 games
Vladimir Sobotka (lower body, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 6 games
Marcus Johansson (upper body, Nov. 14; injured reserve) – 5 games
Kyle Okposo (concussion, Nov. 17; injured reserve) – 3 games
Tage Thompson (upper body, Nov. 19; injured reserve) – 2 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/21: Activated D Zach Bogosian from IR; Placed F Tage Thompson on IR
11/22: Placed D John Gilmour on waivers
11/23: Assigned D John Gilmour to Rochester (AHL)
Monday, Nov. 25: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 27: Calgary at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 29: Toronto at Buffalo, 4 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 30: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 2: New Jersey at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at PANTHERS
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Panthers this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Florida 3-2 in Buffalo on Oct. 11
- Next meeting: Saturday, Jan. 4 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 2-7-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Panthers; 1-7-2 on the road.
- This is the 102nd game all-time between Buffalo and Florida; Buffalo has a 50-42-9 series record.
- The Sabres are 21-23-5 on the road against the Panthers all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 8-9-3 all-time on November 24.a
- November 24, 1974: Bill Hajt scores his first NHL goal, and the Sabres and Canadiens combine for 154 penalty minutes, as Buffalo defeats Montreal 6-4 at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium.
- November 24, 1986: Gilbert Perreault announces his retirement from the NHL and Lindy Ruff is selected to serve as the sixth captain in franchise history.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- A win tonight would give Buffalo multiple victories against Florida in a season for the first time since 2016-17. The Sabres would have wins in consecutive meetings between the teams for the first time since they won three straight from Feb. 10 to Oct. 20, 2011.
- Jack Eichel has seven multi-point games this season, tying for 14th-most in the league entering play Saturday night. His three multi-goal games tied for fifth-most, leaving him two shy of the league lead.
- All eight of Jeff Skinner’s goals this season have come during 5-on-5 play. According to NaturalStatTrick.com, he is tied for ninth-most in the league entering play Saturday night.
HOT AGAINST FLORIDA
- Sam Reinhart has 18 points (9+9) in 18 career games against the Panthers, including six multi-point games. His career point-per-game output against Florida is his best rate against any NHL team and his nine goals tie his output against Tampa Bay as his highest total against any opponent.
- Jeff Skinner has recorded 11 points (8+3) in his last 10 games against Florida.
- Conor Sheary has totaled eight points (2+6) in eight games against the Panthers since the beginning of the 2016-17 season.
- Jack Eichel has posted five points (1+4) in his last five meetings with the Panthers, including the shootout winner in the last game between the teams.
- Zemgus Girgensons has tallied three assists in his last two games against Florida. Johan Larsson (1+1) has also contributed a point in both of the Sabres’ last two games against the Panthers.
- Carter Hutton is 2-1-0 in four career appearances against the Panthers with a .933 save percentage and a 2.03 goals-against average.
A STRONG START
- With 13 goals in 22 games so far this season, Jack Eichel is already nearly halfway to his previous best goal total (28), set in the 2018-19 season.
- Eichel’s output through 22 games currently has him on pace to finish the season with 48 goals and 97 points, which would be the highest goal and point totals by a Sabre since Pat LaFontaine (53+95) and Alexander Mogilny (76+51) in 1992-93.
- Sam Reinhart’s eight goals through 22 games put him on pace for a career-high total (30).
Tonight’s game opens Buffalo’s sixth of 14 sets of back-to-back games this season, which continues tomorrow night at Tampa Bay. The Sabres are 1-4-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 2-3-0 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to-back sets is: four points (0), three points (0), two points (3), one point (0) and zero points (2).
- The Sabres and the Buffalo Bills are playing on the same day for the second of five times this season after doing so three times last season.
- The teams have played on the same date 221 times, with both teams winning their respective games on 49 of those days.
- The Sabres are 118-69-34 when playing on a Bills game day and the Bills enter this game 94-125-2 on those dates.
- The last time the Sabres and Bills both won on the same date was Dec. 16, 2018.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 11/23 games)
- Eichel: 444 FO (5th), 13 G (T-7th), 1 OTG (T-8th), 9 EVG (T-10th)
- Hutton: 2 SO (T-1st)
- Johansson: 1 OTG (T-8th)
- Olofsson: 6 PPG (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 75 hits (T-5th)
- Ullmark: 1 SO (T-8th)
- Panthers defenseman Mark Pysyk was the Sabres’ first-round selection (23rd overall) in the 2010 NHL draft. He played four seasons (2012-13 to 2015-16) in Buffalo, totaling 26 points (5+21) in 125 games.
- Sabres forward Jack Eichel, Panthers defenseman Aaron Ekblad and Panthers forward Vincent Trocheck all played for Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Sabres forward Jack Eichel and Panthers forward Frank Vatrano were teammates on the United States National Team at the 2019 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Curtis Lazar played with Panthers forward Mike Hoffman for three seasons (2014-15 to 2016-17) in Ottawa.
- Sabres forwards Curtis Lazar and Sam Reinhart played for Team Canada with Panthers defenseman Aaron Ekblad at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Jake McCabe, forward Jimmy Vesey and Panthers forward Vincent Trocheck all won a gold medal together while representing the United States at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship. McCabe and Trocheck later played together at the 2014 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Jake McCabe played with Panthers forward Frank Vatrano for Team USA at the 2016 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Sam Reinhart won a gold medal for Team Canada with Panthers defensemen Mark Pysyk and Mike Matheson at the 2016 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Jeff Skinner and Panthers defensemen Mark Pysyk and Mike Matheson all played for Team Canada at the 2017 IIHF World Championship. The trio won a silver medal together.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (75), McCabe (39), Miller (31)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (40), Ristolainen (33), Jokiharju (21)
Shots: Skinner (80), Eichel (78), Olofsson (54)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 21/35, 2/26, 21/29
21-30: 0-2-0 (0), 3/7, 1/7, 6/9
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-2; 122-130 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (GWG-Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (GWG-Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 3:13)
Nov. 14 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Hamilton, 2:28)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-1; 76-70 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Brandon Montour … 3 games … 200 career games played
Jake McCabe … 4 games … 300 career games played
Sam Reinhart … 5 goals … 100 career goals
Jimmy Vesey … 8 points … 100 career points