|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Sunday, November 17
Buffalo 1 at Chicago 4
Goalie: Hutton (23 saves/27 shots)
PP: 0/4; PK: 4/5; Shots: Buffalo 34 – Chicago 27
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 86)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (hip, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 20 games
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 20 games
Vladimir Sobotka (lower body, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 4 games
Marcus Johansson (upper body, Nov. 14; injured reserve) – 3 games
Johan Larsson (upper body, Nov. 16) – 2 games
Kyle Okposo (concussion, Nov. 17; injured reserve) – 1 game
Tage Thompson (upper body, Nov. 19) – 0 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/13: Recalled F Curtis Lazar from Rochester (AHL)
11/14: Activated D Marco Scandella from IR; Placed F Vladimir Sobotka on IR
11/15: Recalled F Rasmus Asplund from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Marcus Johansson on IR
11/17: Recalled F Tage Thompson from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Kyle Okposo on IR
Thursday, Nov. 21: Buffalo at Boston, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 24: Buffalo at Florida, 5 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 25: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 27: Calgary at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 29: Toronto at Buffalo, 4 p.m.
WILD at SABRES
- This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Wild this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Minnesota 5-4 (SO) in Buffalo on Feb. 5
- Next meeting: Saturday, March 28 in Minnesota
- The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Wild; 2-7-1 at home.
- This is the 25th game all-time between Buffalo and Minnesota; Buffalo has a 11-12-1 series record.
- The Sabres are 3-8-1 at home against the Wild all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 11-9-4 all-time on November 19.
- November 19, 1993: Dale Hawerchuk records three points (1+2) against his former team, including his 300th point as a member of the Sabres, in a 6-0 win vs. Winnipeg.
- November 19, 1999: Martin Biron records his first NHL shutout with 18 saves in a 4-0 win vs. Atlanta.
- November 19, 2002: Ryan Miller makes his first NHL start, recording 21 saves in a 4-3 overtime loss at New Jersey.
- November 19, 2018: Jeff Skinner appears in his 600th NHL game and Jack Eichel records his 200th NHL point (assist) before scoring the overtime winner in a 5-4 win at Pittsburgh.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Buffalo won both matchups with Minnesota last season. With a win tonight, the Sabres would have three straight wins against the Wild for the first time since Minnesota joined the league in 2000-01.
- Sam Reinhart has nine points (4+5) in his last nine games, including four multi-point outings.
- Jack Eichel has seven multi-point games this season, tying for 12th-most in the league entering play Monday. His three multi-goal games leave him one shy of the league lead.
- All eight of Jeff Skinner’s goals this season have come during 5-on-5 play. According to NaturalStatTrick.com, he is tied for fourth-most in the league entering play Monday, trailing only Leon Draisaitl (12), Brad Marchand (11) and Auston Matthews (9).
- Jack Eichel has seven points (2+5) in six career games against the Wild, including five points (2+3) in three home games and two assists in both meetings last season.
- Colin Miller has recorded at least one point in each of his last five games against the Wild, totaling six assists during that span.
- Jake McCabe enters tonight’s game with points in four straight games against Minnesota (1+4). His five points in eight career games against the Wild trails only his six points (1+5) in 14 games against the Blue Jackets as his highest total against any opponent.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled four points (3+1) in four games against Minnesota since the beginning of the 2017-18 season.
- Brandon Montour posted three assists in three games against the Wild in 2018-19.
- Rasmus Dahlin totaled three points (2+1) in two games against Minnesota as a rookie last season.
- Linus Ullmark has stopped 106 of 114 shots (.930) to earn a 3-0-0 record in three career games against the Wild.
THE FIRST TWENTY
- The Sabres enter tonight’s game with a 10-7-3 record through their first 20 games this season, tying the 1983-84 season as the team’s 16th-best start through 20 games.
- Jack Eichel has totaled 24 points (13+11) through 20 games this season, topping his previous best starts in both goals (8, 2016-17) and points (22, 2018-19) and putting him on pace for career highs in both categories. His nine even-strength goals also represent his highest-ever total through 20 games (5, 2017-18).
- With 17 points (8+9) through 20 games, Sam Reinhart has also surpassed his previous best starts in goals (4, 2015-16) and points (13, 2018-19) and is on pace for career highs in both categories.
- Victor Olofsson’s seven goals so far this season are the most by a Sabres rookie through the team’s first 20 games of the season since Derek Plante had eight (in 15 games played) though Buffalo’s first 20 games in 1994-94. Olofsson is currently on pace for 29 goals, which would be the most by a Sabres rookie since Donald Audette (31) in 1991-92.
- With 13 goals in 20 games so far this season, Jack Eichel is already nearly halfway to his previous best goal total (28), set in the 2018-19 season.
- Eichel’s output through 20 games currently has him on pace to finish the season with 53 goals and 98 points, which would be the highest goal and point totals by a Sabre since Pat LaFontaine (53+95) and Alexander Mogilny (76+51) in 1992-93.
- On Saturday vs. Ottawa, Eichel scored his second career hat trick and then added an empty-netter to become the seventh different player in franchise history to score four goals in a regular-season game. He joined Rick Martin (4x), Dave Andreychuk (3x), Alexander Mogilny (2x), Lindy Ruff, Miroslav Satan and Thomas Vanek.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 11/18 games)
- Eichel: 9 EVG (T-4th), 13 G (T-6th), 399 FO (7th), 1 OTG (T-7th), 72 S (T-9th)
- Hutton: 2 SO (T-1st)
- Johansson: 1 OTG (T-7th)
- Olofsson: 6 PPG (T-5th)
- Ristolainen: 74 hits (T-4th)
- Skinner: 72 S (T-9th)
- Ullmark: 1 SO (T-8th)
- Sabres defenseman Marco Scandella played for the Wild for seven seasons (2010-2017) after being selected by the team in the second round (55th overall) of the 2008 NHL Draft. In 373 games with Minnesota, Scandella scored 27 goals and totaled 89 points.
- Wild forward Marcus Foligno spent six seasons in Buffalo (2011-2017) after the team drafted him in the fourth round (104th overall) of the 2009 NHL Draft. A native of Buffalo, Foligno recorded 116 points (49+67) in 347 games with the Sabres. He is the son of former Sabre Mike Foligno.
- Sabres forward Rasmus Asplund and Wild forward Joel Eriksson Ek played together for Team Sweden at the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship. The duo played together again the following year along with Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Zach Bogosian played with Wild defenseman Ryan Suter on Team USA at the 2009 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Jack Eichel and Wild forward Ryan Hartman were teammates on Team USA at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Sabres forward Jack Eichel and Wild forward Jordan Greenway were both members of Team USA at the 2017 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres forward Jack Eichel, Wild forward Luke Kunin and Wild defenseman Ryan Suter all played together on the United States National Team at the 2019 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres goaltender Carter Hutton and Wild forward Kevin Fiala played for the Predators together from 2014 to 2016. Hutton and Wild goaltender Devan Dubnyk were also teammates in Nashville during the 2013-14 season.
- Sabres forwards Curtis Lazar and Sam Reinhart played on Team Canada with Wild defenseman Matt Dumba at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship. Reinhart and Dumba would later win a gold medal together at the 2016 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Jake McCabe, Sabres forward Jimmy Vesey and Wild forward Ryan Hartman won a gold medal together while representing the United States at the 2013 IIHF World Championship.
- Sabres defenseman Colin Miller and Wild defenseman Brad Hunt were both members of the Golden Knights’ inaugural team. The two played together in Vegas for two seasons from 2017 to 2019.
- Sabres defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen and Wild forward Mikko Koivu both played for Finland’s national team at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Sabres forward Jeff Skinner and Wild forward Eric Staal played for the Hurricanes together for six seasons, from 2010 to 2016. Skinner also played with Wild forward Victor Rask in Carolina from 2014 to 2018.
- Sabres forward Jeff Skinner and Wild goaltender Devan Dubnyk have played for Team Canada together three times: at the 2011, 2012 and 2013 IIHF World Championships. Wild forward Eric Staal was also a member of the 2013 squad.
- Sabres goaltender Carter Hutton was a teammate of Wild defenseman Brad Hunt in St. Louis for one season (2016-17).
- Sabres forward Jimmy Vesey and defenseman John Gilmour both played for the Rangers with Wild forward Mats Zuccarello.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (74), McCabe (36), Miller (31)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (39), Ristolainen (32), Jokiharju (18)
Shots: Eichel (72), Skinner (72), Olofsson (48)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 21/35, 2/26, 21/29
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-2; 122-130 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (GWG-Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (GWG-Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 3:13)
Nov. 14 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Hamilton, 2:28)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-1; 76-70 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Brandon Montour … 5 games … 200 career games played
Jake McCabe … 6 games … 300 career games played
Sam Reinhart … 5 goals … 100 career goals
Jimmy Vesey … 8 points … 100 career points
Rasmus Dahlin … 100th NHL game … Nov. 14 vs. CAR
Rasmus Asplund … 1st NHL game … Nov. 16 vs. OTT
Carter Hutton … 200th NHL game … Nov. 17 at CHI