|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Saturday, November 2
NY Islanders 1 at Buffalo 0
Goalie: Hutton (20 saves/21 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 1/1; Shots: Buffalo 27 – NY Islanders 21
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 64)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (hip, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 15 games
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 15 games
Marco Scandella (lower body, Oct. 25; injured reserve) – 4 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/2: Activated D Brandon Montour from IR
11/3: Recalled D Lawrence Pilut from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Marco Scandella on IR
Saturday, Nov. 9: Buffalo at Tampa Bay (Stockholm, Sweden), 1 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 14: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 16: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 17: Buffalo at Chicago, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 19: Minnesota at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
LIGHTNING at SABRES
- This is the first of four meetings between the Sabres and Lightning this season.
- Last meeting: Tampa Bay defeated Buffalo 2-1 (SO) in Tampa Bay on Feb. 21.
- Next meeting: Saturday, Nov. 9 in Stockholm, Sweden
- The Sabres are 3-5-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Lightning; 3-6-1 at home.
- This is the 103rd game all-time between Buffalo and Tampa Bay; Buffalo has an 55-38-9 series record.
- The Sabres are 26-19-5 at home against the Lightning all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 8-5-4 all-time on November 8.
- November 8, 1980: Danny Gare scores twice in a 10-second span in a 3-3 tie at Washington.
- November 8, 2001: The Sabres get goals from seven different scorers and Martin Biron makes 16 saves as Buffalo shuts out the Atlanta Thrashers by a score of 8-0 at home.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres are 20-17-4 all-time in the first game after a break of at least five days (excludes season-openers).
- Buffalo had the No. 3 power play in the league before Thursday’s games, converting on 14 of the team’s 52 power plays this season (26.9%). Only the Boston Bruins (16) had scored more goals with the man advantage this season.
- The Sabres have scored the first goal in 10 of their 15 games so far this season, going 8-1-1 in those contests. Only Boston (11) had scored first in more games entering play Thursday.
- Sam Reinhart recorded four points (3+1) in four games against the Lightning last season.
- Jimmy Vesey totaled three points (1+2) in three meetings with Tampa Bay in 2018-19.
- Rasmus Dahlin has recorded a point in each of his last two games against the Lightning (1+1).
- Tonight’s game is the second of three NHL games to be contested in Europe this season as part of the 2019 NHL Global Series, following the season-opening matchup between the Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers in Prague, Czech Republic.
- The final game of the series will take place between the Sabres and Lightning tomorrow at Ericsson Globe.
- This marks the third straight year (and the eighth season overall) that the NHL has contested regular-season games in Europe. This is the second time the Sabres have been part of those games, as the team defeated the Anaheim Ducks in Helsinki, Finland and the Los Angeles Kings in Berlin, Germany as part of the 2011 NHL Premiere.
HOME AWAY FROM HOME
The Sabres are playing a regular-season home game away from the team’s home arena for the eighth time in franchise history. Buffalo is 1-3-3 in the seven previous games, with the win coming against the Anaheim Ducks in Helsinki, Finland as part of the 2011 NHL Premiere.
Sabres Regular-Season Home Games Away From Home Arena
|1992-93||March 3, 1993||Vancouver||5-2 loss||Hamilton, Ontario|
|1993-94||Nov. 3, 1993||Pittsburgh||6-2 loss||Sacramento, California|
|2003-04||Nov. 12, 2003||New Jersey||2-2 tie||Rochester, New York|
|2005-06||Oct. 26, 2005||Washington||3-2 loss||Rochester, New York|
|2007-08||Jan. 1, 2008||Pittsburgh||2-1 loss (SO)||Orchard Park, New York|
|2011-12||Oct. 7, 2011||Anaheim||4-1 win||Helsinki, Finland|
|2017-18||Jan. 1, 2018||NY Rangers||3-2 loss (OT)||Queens, New York|
- Entering today’s game, the Sabres have wins in five straight games against Atlantic Division opponents dating back to last season, including a 3-0-0 record so far in 2019-20.
- A win today would give Buffalo wins in six consecutive divisional matchups for the first time since the team won seven in a row against Northeast Division opponents from Dec. 15, 2010 to Feb. 15, 2011.
- While today’s game is being contested at a neutral-site venue, it represents the first game in a home-and-home series between the Sabres and the Lightning. It concludes with tomorrow’s rematch at Ericsson Globe in Stockholm, Sweden.
- It is the third home-and-home series ever to be played between the teams. Buffalo previously went 0-2-0 in a series against Tampa Bay on Oct. 22 and 25, 2011 and 1-1-0 on Dec. 2 and 4, 2014.
- The Sabres have played in 164 previous home-and-home series in franchise history, going 93-48-23 (.637) in the home games and 57-78-29 (.436) in the road games in previous series.
- The team is 71-64-29 (.521) all-time in the first game of these previous series and 79-62-23 (.552) in the second.
- Buffalo’s points breakdown in these previous series is as follows: four points (32), three points (24), two points (67), one point (17), zero points (24).
- Buffalo swept San Jose in their last home-and-home series on Oct. 19 and 22. They will face the Toronto Maple Leafs in their next one on Nov. 29 and 30.
Tonight’s game opens Buffalo’s fourth of 14 sets of back-to-back games this season, which continues tomorrow at Tampa Bay. The Sabres are 0-3-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 2-1-0 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to-back sets is: four points (0), three points (0), two points (2), one point (0) and zero points (1).
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 11/7 games)
- Buffalo Sabres: 26.9% PP% (3rd)
- Dahlin: 7 PPA (T-3rd)
- Eichel: 9 PPP (T-4th), 1 OTG (T-5th), 4 PPG (T-6th), 282 FO (10th)
- Hutton: 2 SO (T-1st), 2.09 GAA (6th), .928 SV% (8th)
- Johansson: 1 OTG (T-5th)
- McCabe: 36 BkS (T-9th)
- Olofsson: 6 PPG (T-3rd), 8 PPP (T-8th)
- Ullmark: 1 SO (T-6th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (45), McCabe (29), Miller (28)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (36), Ristolainen (22), Jokiharju (17)
Shots: Skinner (55), Eichel (52), Reinhart (31)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 1-3-1 (3), 7/16, 2/13, 10/11
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-1; 122-129 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (GWG-Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (GWG-Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 3:13)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-1; 76-70 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Casey Mittelstadt … 2 games … 100 career games played
Carter Hutton … 3 games … 200 career games played
Rasmus Dahlin … 3 games … 100 career games played
Brandon Montour … 10 games … 200 career games played
Sam Reinhart … 9 goals … 100 career goals
Rasmus Ristolainen … 1 point … 200 career points
Jimmy Vesey … 8 points … 100 career points
Kyle Okposo … 8 points … 500 career points