|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Monday, October 28
Arizona 3 at Buffalo 2 (SO)
Goals: Eichel, Skinner
Goalie: Hutton (42 saves/44 shots)
PP: 1/2; PK: 1/2; Shots: Arizona 44 – Buffalo 26
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 56)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (hip, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 13 games
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 13 games
Brandon Montour (hand, Oct. 3; injured reserve) – 13 games
Marco Scandella (lower body, Oct. 25) – 2 games
Jimmy Vesey (upper body, Oct. 25) – 2 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
10/26: Assigned D William Borgen from Rochester (AHL)
10/27: Recalled D William Borgen from Rochester (AHL)
10/29: Assigned D William Borgen from Rochester (AHL)
Saturday, Nov. 2: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 8: Tampa Bay at Buffalo (Stockholm, Sweden), 2 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 9: Buffalo at Tampa Bay (Stockholm, Sweden), 1 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 14: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 16: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at CAPITALS
- This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Washington 5-2 in Buffalo on Feb. 23
- Next meeting: Monday, March 9 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 3-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 2-6-2 on the road.
- This is the 162nd game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has an 89-51-21 series record.
- The Sabres are 41-28-12 on the road against the Capitals all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 11-6-3 all-time on November 1.
- November 1, 1981: Bob Sauve stops 37 shots and Tony McKegney scores twice in a 6-2 victory over the Flyers at the Aud.
- November 1, 2008: Ryan Miller earns his eighth NHL shutout and Thomas Vanek scores twice as the Sabres defeat the Capitals 5-0 at home.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres have scored the first goal in 10 of their 13 games so far this season, going 8-1-1 in those contests. Entering play Thursday, no other NHL team had scored first in 10 games this season.
- The Sabres have the No. 2 power play in the league, converting on a league-high 14 of their 47 power plays this season (29.8%).
- Jimmy Vesey has totaled six points (3+3) in his last six games against the Capitals, including points in each of his last three visits to Washington (2+2).
- Marcus Johansson has recorded at least a point in each of his last four games against the Capitals (2+3).
- Rasmus Dahlin recorded four points (2+2) in three meetings with Washington as a rookie last season.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled seven points (4+3) in his last five games against the Capitals.
- Jack Eichel has posted four points (2+2) in four career visits to Washington.
- Rasmus Ristolainen enters tonight’s game with an assist in each of his last three games against the Capitals.
- Buffalo was perfect on the penalty kill in their three matchups with the Capitals last season, killing all 10 Washington power plays in those contests.
EICHEL’S FIRST 300
Jack Eichel is expected to play in his 300th NHL game tonight. With 108 goals, 168 assists and 276 points through his first 299 career games…
- Eichel has already recorded the sixth-most points as a Sabre in his first 300 NHL games.
- Leaders: Alexander Mogilny (354), Rick Martin (341), Gilbert Perreault (300), Pierre Turgeon (297) and Dave Andreychuk (292)
- He has scored the 11th-most goals by a Sabre in his first 300 NHL games.
- Leaders: Rick Martin (194), Alexander Mogilny (176), Danny Gare (146), Thomas Vanek (136), Dave Andreychuk (129), Donald Audette (127), Gilbert Perreault (119), Pierre Turgeon (116), John Tucker (111) and Rene Robert (110)
- Only five Sabres have scored more even-strength goals though 300 NHL games than Eichel’s current total of 75.
- Leaders: Rick Martin (131), Alexander Mogilny (117), Danny Gare (116), Rene Robert (100) and Dave Andreychuk (86).
- Donald Audette, Gilbert Perreault and John Tucker each had 75 thorough 300 games.
- Eichel has the sixth-most assists by a Sabre through 300 NHL games.
- Leaders: Phil Housley (193), Gilbert Perreault (181), Pierre Turgeon (181), Christian Ruuttu (179) and Alexander Mogilny (178)
- Only five players have recorded more multi-point games with the Sabres through their first 300 NHL games than Eichel’s 78 through 299: Alexander Mogilny (101), Rick Martin (96), Pierre Turgeon (87), Gilbert Perreault (82) and Rene Robert (79).
Tonight’s game opens up Buffalo’s third of 14 sets of back-to-back games this season, which continues tomorrow night vs. NY Islanders. The Sabres are 0-2-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 2-0-0 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to-back sets is: four points (0), three points (0), two points (2), one point (0) and zero points (0).
A STRONG START
- The Sabres finished October with a 9-2-2 record. It marked the franchise’s second-highest point total in the opening month of a season, trailing only the team’s 21-point output in October 2006 (10-0-1).
- Buffalo’s plus-11 goal differential in October tied as their fifth-best in a season-opening month and was the best since October 2006 (plus-25).
- Carter Hutton (2) and Linus Ullmark (1) combined for three shutouts through Buffalo’s 13 games in October. It is the first time in franchise history that the Sabres have posted three shutouts in the first month of the season.
- The Sabres’ points percentage of .769 after the opening month ranked October 2019 in the franchise’s top five starts to a season.
Best Points Percentage Through First Month of Season
- All six of Victor Olofsson’s goals this season have come on the power play, tying for third-most in the league entering play Thursday. He also led all rookies in goals (6), tied to lead all rookies in points (10), and led rookie forwards in ice time per game (17:27).
- Entering play Sunday, only James Neal had scored more power-play goals than Olofsson’s eight in 19 games played since he made his NHL debut on March 28, 2019 vs. Detroit. He has set an NHL record by becoming the first player in NHL history to score each of his first seven-plus career goals with a man advantage.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 10/31 games)
- Buffalo Sabres: 9 W (T-1st), 29.8% PP% (2nd), 20 PTS (T-2nd)
- Dahlin: 7 PPA (T-3rd), 7 PPP (T-7th)
- Eichel: 1 OTG (T-1st), 9 PPP (3rd), 250 FO (6th), 4 PPG (T-6th), 17 PTS (T-8th), 7 G (T-9th)
- Hutton: 2 SO (T-1st), 6 W (T-4th), 2.21 GAA (8th), .926 SV% (10th)
- Johansson: 1 OTG (T-1st)
- McCabe: 34 BkS (T-1st)
- Olofsson: 6 PPG (T-3rd), 8 PPP (T-4th)
- Skinner: 52 S (T-5th), 7 G (T-9th)
- Ullmark: .932 SV% (6th), 1 SO (T-4th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (40), McCabe (28), Miller/Sobotka (25)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (34), Ristolainen (19), Jokiharju (15)
Shots: Skinner (52), Eichel (43), Reinhart (29)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 8-1-1 (17), 38/24, 12/39, 23/30
11-20: 1-1-1 (3), 6/9, 2/8, 8/9
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-1; 122-129 all-time)
Oct. 7 at CBJ: L, 4-3 (GWG-Texier, 2:08)
Oct. 9 vs. MTL: W, 5-4 (GWG-Johansson, 1:30)
Oct. 22 vs. SJS: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 3:13)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-1; 76-70 all-time)
Oct. 11 vs. FLA: W, 3-2 (GDG-Eichel)
Oct. 28 vs. ARI: L, 3-2 (GDG-Schmaltz)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Jack Eichel … 1 game … 300 career games played
Carter Hutton … 4 games … 200 career games played
Casey Mittelstadt … 4 games … 100 career games played
Rasmus Dahlin … 5 games … 100 career games played
Sam Reinhart … 9 goals … 100 career goals
Rasmus Ristolainen … 1 point … 200 career points
Jimmy Vesey … 8 points … 100 career points
Kyle Okposo … 8 points … 500 career points