|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Tuesday, April 2
Nashville 3 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Okposo, Skinner
Goalie: Hutton (32 saves/35 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 1/1; Shots: Nashville 35 – Buffalo 28
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 243)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hunwick (upper body, March 23) – 7 games
Zach Bogosian (lower body, March 25) – 6 games
Vladimir Sobotka (upper body, March 30) – 3 games
Marco Scandella (lower body, March 31) – 2 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
4/3: Assigned D William Borgen to Rochester (AHL)
Saturday, April 6: Buffalo at Detroit, 7 p.m.
SENATORS at SABRES
- This is the fourth and final meeting between the Sabres and Senators this season.
- Last meeting: Ottawa defeated Buffalo 4-0 in Ottawa on March 26
- The Sabres are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Senators; 6-3-1 at home.
- This is the 141st game all-time between Buffalo and Ottawa; Buffalo has a 68-52-20 series record.
- The Sabres are 37-23-8 at home against the Senators all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 5-11-2 all-time on April 4.
- April 4, 1973: The Sabres appear in the first playoff game in franchise history, a 2-1 loss at Montreal.
- April 4, 1981: The Sabres chase Red Wings goaltender Larry Lozinski with three goals on eight shots in the first period on the way to a 5-4 win in Detroit that featured two-goal performances by Tony McKegney and Andre Savard.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres have gone 9-3-3 in their last 15 games against the Senators and have a 10-4-4 record in their last 18 meetings in Buffalo.
- Jack Eichel has recorded 16 points (4+12) in 12 career games against the Senators, including at least a point in all but two of those games and eight points (1+7) in six home games. His 1.33 points per game against the Senators represent his highest per-game output against any Eastern Conference opponent.
- Sam Reinhart has posted 12 points (5+7) in his last 13 games against the Senators.
- Jason Pominville and Jeff Skinner have both totaled four points (3+1) in three meetings with the Senators so far this season.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has recorded an assist in both of his first two meetings with Ottawa this season and has 10 assists in his last 12 games against the Senators.
- Scott Wilson has recorded a point in each of his last three games against the Senators (2+1).
- Casey Mittelstadt has recorded three points (1+2) in two career home games against Ottawa.
- With his assist on Tuesday vs. Nashville, Rasmus Ristolainen (5+35) has turned in his fourth consecutive season featuring at least 40 points.
- He has become just the third defenseman in Sabres history to record 40 points in at least four consecutive seasons, joining Phil Housley and Jerry Korab.
- Now in his sixth season with the Sabres, Ristolainen ranks ninth all-time among Sabres defensemen in both assists (155) and points (191).
- Ristolainen’s 26 even-strength points this season (4+22) surpassed his previous single-season high of 20 set in the 2015-16 season.
Entering play Wednesday, Jack Eichel ranked fifth in the NHL with a career-high 298 shots on goal this season. With two more shots this season, Eichel will record the seventh 300-shot season in Sabres history and the first since Alexander Mogilny (360) and Pat LaFontaine (306) in 1992-93.
WELCOME TO THE NHL
- Victor Olofsson, who made his NHL debut on March 28 vs. Detroit, has recorded two points (1+1) in four NHL games.
- According to NaturalStatTrick.com, Olofsson ranks among Buffalo’s leaders in shots (T-2nd, 13), shot attempts (T-2nd, 25) and scoring chances (2nd, 11) in his four games with the team.
- He also leads the team at 5-on-5 during those games in corsi for percentage (57.66%), shots for percentage (60.32%) and scoring chances for percentage (63.64%).
- In his first season in North America, Olofsson has recorded a team-high 60 points (27+33) in 64 AHL games with the Rochester Americans, also leading all Rochester skaters in assists and tying for the team lead in goals. He led all SHL players with 27 goals in 2017-18.
A FRESH START
- Through his first 18 games with the Sabres, Brandon Montour has recorded nine points (2+7), tying Jack Eichel (6+3) for most points during that stretch. Seven of his nine points as a Sabre (2+5) have come at even strength.
- According to NaturalStatTrick.com, Montour’s CF%, FF% and SCF% during 5-on-5 play through 18 games with the Sabres top his full-season rates in each of those categories from both of his first two NHL seasons, as well as his rates through 62 games with Anaheim this season.
- In these 18 games, Montour has also seen a drastic uptick in scoring rates in goals (.36), assists (.72) and points (1.07) per 60 minutes played at 5-on-5 compared to his rates from the last two seasons.
DAH-LEAN ON ME
- Entering play Wednesday, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and ranked fourth among all NHL rookies in points (41). His 33 assists ranked second among all rookies.
- With 41 points (8+33) through 80 games, Dahlin will finish the season with more points per game than he had in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games for Frölunda.
- With his assist on March 20 vs. Toronto, Dahlin passed Bobby Orr (38 points in 1966-67) for the second-most points ever recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 19th birthday, trailing only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83).
- With seven multi-point games so far this season, Dahlin has recorded more multi-point games as an 18-year-old than all but two defensemen in NHL history: Housley (13) and Orr (8).
- Dahlin’s three game-winning goals this season are the most ever recorded by a Sabres rookie defenseman. His total also ties for ninth-most by any Sabres rookie and eighth-most in a season by any defenseman in franchise history.
- Jack Eichel has set new career-high marks in goals (27), assists (50) and points (77) this season. He is the first Sabres player to record at least 75 points in a season since Derek Roy (81) and Jason Pominville (80) both did so in 2007-08.
- Eichel is also the first Sabres player to record at least 50 assists since Jason Pominville (53) in 2007-08.
- He has joined Rick Martin and Thomas Vanek as the third player in franchise history to record at least 20 goals in each of his first four NHL seasons.
SKINNER, SKINNER, CHICKEN DINNER
- Jeff Skinner has scored a career-high 38 goals this season, becoming the fifth player ever to score at least 35 in his first season with the Sabres.
- He has tied Gilbert Perreault (1970-71) and Ray Sheppard (1987-88) for third-most ever scored by a first-year Sabre, trailing only Pat LaFontaine (46 in 1991-92) and Rick Martin (44 in 1971-72).
- Skinner’s 30 even-strength goals are already the most ever recorded by player in his first year with the Sabres, breaking a record previously held by Danny Gare (26) since 1974-75.
- Skinner needs two goals to become the first Sabres player to score at least 40 goals since Thomas Vanek (40) in 2008-09. He would become just the 11th different player in Sabres history to score at least 40 in a season.
LEADING THE WAY
Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart have both shattered their previous career high point totals on the strength of improved production at even strength:
|Player/Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
|Eichel Career High (2017-18)||67||25||39||64||22||20||42|
|Reinhart Career High (2017-18)||82||25||25||50||13||16||29|
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 4/3 games)
- Eichel: 298 S (5th)
- Ristolainen: 24:42 TOI/GP (9th)
- Skinner: 3 OTG (T-3rd), 30 EVG (T-6th), 7 GWG (T-9th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (225), Girgensons (139), Larsson (107)
Blocked Shots: Ristolainen (121), Bogosian (116), McCabe (95)
Shots: Eichel (298), Skinner (262), Ristolainen (177)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 6-4-0 (12), 26/28, 8/38, 22/30
11-20: 6-2-2 (14), 35/27, 4/28, 26/29
21-30: 5-3-2 (12), 31/32, 5/28, 23/29
31-40: 4-4-2 (10), 24/27, 7/31, 27/29
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 30/34, 1/25, 14/20
51-60: 3-6-1 (7), 26/38, 7/30, 19/22
61-70: 2-8-0 (4), 23/39, 6/27, 18/26
71-80: 1-8-1 (3), 20/42, 4/24, 17/22
OVERTIME RESULTS (7-7; 120-128 all-time)
Oct. 27 at CBJ: L, 5-4 (GWG-Panarin, 0:31)
Oct. 30 vs. CGY: L, 2-1 (GWG-Gaudreau, 2:40)
Nov. 8 at MTL: W, 6-5 (GWG-Ristolainen, 1:38)
Nov. 19 at PIT: W, 5-4 (GWG-Eichel, 0:45)
Nov. 23 vs. MTL: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 3:06)
Nov. 27 vs. SJS: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 1:41)
Nov. 30 at FLA: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barkov, 2:26)
Dec. 4 vs. TOR: L, 4-3 (GWG-Matthews, 4:57)
Dec. 11 vs. LAK: W, 4-3 (GWG-Skinner, 1:49)
Dec. 29 vs. BOS: L, 3-2 (GWG-Kuraly, 3:44)
Jan. 16 at CGY: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 1:10)
Feb. 8 vs. CAR: L, 6-5 (GWG-Teravainen, 3:25)
March 1 vs. PIT: W, 4-3 (GWG-Sheary, 4:11)
March 28 vs. DET: L, 5-4 (GWG-Bertuzzi, 2:18)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (5-3; 75-69 all-time)
Nov. 10 vs. VAN: W, 4-3 (GDG-Mittelstadt)
Nov. 16 at WPG: W, 2-1 (GDG-Sheary)
Nov. 24 at DET: W, 3-2 (GDG-Reinhart)
Dec. 15 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Ovechkin)
Feb. 5 vs. MIN: W, 5-4 (GDG-Reinhart)
Feb. 21 at TBL: L, 2-1 (GDG-Stamkos)
March 7 at CHI: L, 5-4 (GDG-Kane)
March 17 vs. STL: W, 4-3 (GDG-Reinhart)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Jason Pominville … 1 goal … 217 goals with Sabres (sole possession, 10th in franchise history)
Kyle Okposo … 1 assist … 300 career assists
Jeff Skinner … 2 assists … 200 career assists
Victor Olofsson … 1st NHL goal … March 30 at NYI