|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Friday, March 1
Pittsburgh 3 at Buffalo 4 (OT)
Goals: Sheary (2), Eichel, Montour
Goalie: Ullmark (41 saves/44 shots)
PP: 1/2; PK: 1/3; Shots: Pittsburgh 44 – Buffalo 30
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 201)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Marco Scandella (lower body, March 1) – 1 game
Vladimir Sobotka (upper body, March 1) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/24: Acquired D Brandon Montour from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for D Brendan Guhle and a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft; Signed G Adam Wilcox to a one-year, two-way contract with an AAV of $650,000; Placed Wilcox on waivers
2/25: Activated F Kyle Okposo and D Marco Scandella from IR; Acquired a sixth-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft from the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for D Nathan Beaulieu; Assigned F Danny O’Regan and G Adam Wilcox to Rochester (AHL)
2/26: Recalled F Danny O’Regan from Rochester (AHL)
2/27: Assigned F Danny O’Regan to Rochester (AHL)
Monday, March 4: Edmonton at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 7: Buffalo at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 9: Buffalo at Colorado, 3 p.m.
Tuesday, March 12: Dallas at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 14: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at MAPLE LEAFS
- This is the third of four meetings between the Sabres and Maple Leafs this season.
- Last meeting: Toronto defeated Buffalo 5-3 in Toronto on Feb. 25
- Next meeting: Wednesday, March 20 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Maple Leafs; 3-5-2 on the road.
- This is the 213th game all-time between Buffalo and Toronto; Buffalo has a 115-71-26 series record.
- The Sabres are 45-42-18 on the road against the Maple Leafs all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 10-5-3 all-time on March 2.
- March 2, 1998: Alexei Zhitnik scores the game’s only goal and Dominik Hasek gets his second shutout in as many nights as the Sabres top the New York Rangers 1-0 at Madison Square Garden.
- March 2, 2007: The Sabres score eight goals, including the first two of Mike Ryan’s career, to top the Montreal Canadiens 8-5 and improve to first place in the NHL.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Jack Eichel has totaled 15 points (10+5) in 11 career games against Toronto, including eight (5+3) in six road games.
- Sam Reinhart has recorded 15 points (6+9) in his last 14 games against the Maple Leafs, including at least a point in eight of the last nine meetings.
- Jason Pominville (4+2) and Jeff Skinner (1+5) each enter tonight’s game on five-game point streaks against the Maple Leafs.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has recorded seven assists in his last six games against Toronto.
- Conor Sheary has recorded five points (2+3) in his last four games.
Tonight’s game wraps up Buffalo’s 13th of 16 sets of back-to-back games this season, which began last night with a 4-3 overtime win vs. Pittsburgh. The Sabres are 7-5-1 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 5-5-2 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in their previous back-to-back sets is: four points (3), three points (1), two points (4), one point (2) and zero points (2).
- Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner have both recorded a point on the same goal 30 times this season, making them the most productive Sabres duo since Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek combined on 39 goals in the 2011-12 season.
- At least one of the two has recorded a point on 97 of the team’s 181 goals this season (53.6%).
- Eichel has posted 21 points (8+13) in his last 18 games and Skinner has totaled 12 points (5+7) in his last 14 games.
- Jack Eichel enters tonight’s game on a seven-game point streak (5+4) that ties as his longest streak of the season.
- Eichel has totaled 70 points this season, setting a new career-high mark. With 23 goals so far this season, he has joined Rick Martin and Thomas Vanek as the third player in franchise history to record at least 20 goals in each of his first four NHL seasons.
- With 47 assists so far this season, Eichel is the first Sabres player to record at least 45 assists in a season since Tim Connolly recorded 48 in 2009-10. The last Sabre to record at least 50 assists was Jason Pominville (53) in 2007-08.
- Eichel is currently on pace for 44 even-strength assists this season. Only five different players have recorded at least 45 even-strength assists since the 2005-06 season: Henrik Sedin (3x), Joe Thornton (3x), Connor McDavid (2x), Evgeni Malkin and Michael Nylander. Pat Lafontaine (52 in 1992-93) is the only player in franchise history to record at least 45 in a season.
DAH-LEAN ON ME
- After last night’s game, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and ranked second among all NHL rookies in points (37) and assists (29).
- With 37 points (8+29) through 64 games, Dahlin is scoring at a higher rate than he did in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games for Frölunda.
- Dahlin’s current point total puts him on pace for 47 points this season. He would trail only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83) for the most ever recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 19th birthday.
- With seven multi-point games so far this season, Dahlin has recorded more multi-point games as an 18-year-old than all but two defensemen in NHL history: Phil Housley (13) and Bobby Orr (8).
- Dahlin’s three game-winning goals this season are already the most ever recorded by a Sabres rookie defenseman. His total also ties for ninth-most by any Sabres rookie and eighth-most in a season by any defenseman in franchise history.
SKINNER, SKINNER, CHICKEN DINNER
- Jeff Skinner has scored 36 goals this season, becoming the fifth player ever to score at least 35 in his first season with the Sabres.
- His next goal will match his previous career high of 37 set in the 2016-17 season and his 38th goal would tie Gilbert Perreault (1970-71) and Ray Sheppard (1987-88) for third-most ever scored by a first-year Sabre.
- Skinner’s 28 even-strength goals are already the most ever recorded by player in his first year with the Sabres, breaking a record previously held by Danny Gare (26) since 1974-75.
SAM I AM
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 13 points (6+7) in his last 13 games.
- Reinhart has already set career-high totals in points (58), assists (40) and multi-point games (17) this season.
- The Sabres are 22-12-5 this season when Reinhart records at least one point and 30-5-7 (.798) in his career when he records at least two.
LEADING THE WAY
All three of the Sabres’ top three scorers are currently on pace to shatter their previous personal bests in points on the strength of career-best production at even strength:
|Player/Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
|Eichel Career High (2017-18)||67||25||39||64||22||20||42|
|Eichel 2018-19 (Pace)||79||30||61||91||21||44||65|
|Reinhart Career High (2017-18)||82||25||25||50||13||16||29|
|Reinhart 2018-19 (Pace)||82||23||51||74||21||36||56|
|Skinner Career High (2016-17)||79||37||26||63||30||18||48|
|Skinner 2018-19 (Pace)||82||46||27||73||36||18||54|
- At his current pace, Jack Eichel would finish the season tied for the fifth-most even-strength points ever recorded by a Sabre, trailing only Pat LaFontaine (83) and Alexander Mogilny (78) in 1992-93, and Gilbert Perreault in 1975-76 (70) and 1979-80 (68).
- Eichel is on pace to become the first Sabres player to record at least 90 points since Daniel Briere (95) in 2006-07 and would trail only LaFontaine’s franchise-record 52 even-strength assists in 1992-93.
- At his current pace, Jeff Skinner would become the first Sabres player to score at least 40 goals since Thomas Vanek (40) in 2008-09 and would have the highest total since Alexander Mogilny scored 76 in 1992-93. He would become just the 11th different player in Sabres history to score at least 40 in a season.
SCORING WHEN IT COUNTS
- Jeff Skinner’s seven game-winning goals tied for third-most in the NHL this season after last night’s game. He is the first Sabres player with at least seven game-winners in a season since Derek Roy (9) in 2008-09 and is four shy of matching the single-season franchise record of 11 shared by Danny Gare (1979-80) and Alexander Mogilny (1992-93).
- Skinner was also tied for third in the league with three overtime goals this season. Skinner’s total matches the Sabres’ single-season record shared by Daniel Briere (2006-07) and Derek Roy (2009-10) and ties him for 10th-most career overtime goals in franchise history.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings after last night’s game)
- Buffalo Sabres: 82.1% PK% (5th)
- Eichel: 244 S (5th), 34 EVA (T-8th), 2 OTG (T-10th)
- Ristolainen: 24:57 TOI/GP (8th)
- Skinner: 7 GWG (T-3rd), 3 OTG (T-3rd), 28 EVG (4th), 36 G (T-4th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (194), Girgensons (109), McCabe (95)
Blocked Shots: Ristolainen (101), Bogosian (100), McCabe (95)
Shots: Eichel (244), Skinner (212), Ristolainen (154)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 6-4-0 (12), 26/28, 8/38, 22/30
11-20: 6-2-2 (14), 35/27, 4/28, 26/29
21-30: 5-3-2 (12), 31/32, 5/28, 23/29
31-40: 4-4-2 (10), 24/27, 7/31, 27/29
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 30/34, 1/25, 14/20
51-60: 3-6-1 (7), 26/38, 7/30, 19/22
61-70: 2-2-0 (4), 14/15, 5/14, 5/8
OVERTIME RESULTS (7-6; 120-127 all-time)
Oct. 27 at CBJ: L, 5-4 (GWG-Panarin, 0:31)
Oct. 30 vs. CGY: L, 2-1 (GWG-Gaudreau, 2:40)
Nov. 8 at MTL: W, 6-5 (GWG-Ristolainen, 1:38)
Nov. 19 at PIT: W, 5-4 (GWG-Eichel, 0:45)
Nov. 23 vs. MTL: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 3:06)
Nov. 27 vs. SJS: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 1:41)
Nov. 30 at FLA: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barkov, 2:26)
Dec. 4 vs. TOR: L, 4-3 (GWG-Matthews, 4:57)
Dec. 11 vs. LAK: W, 4-3 (GWG-Skinner, 1:49)
Dec. 29 vs. BOS: L, 3-2 (GWG-Kuraly, 3:44)
Jan. 16 at CGY: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 1:10)
Feb. 8 vs. CAR: L, 6-5 (GWG-Teravainen, 3:25)
March 1 vs. PIT: W, 4-3 (GWG-Sheary, 4:11)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (4-2; 74-68 all-time)
Nov. 10 vs. VAN: W, 4-3 (GDG-Mittelstadt)
Nov. 16 at WPG: W, 2-1 (GDG-Sheary)
Nov. 24 at DET: W, 3-2 (GDG-Reinhart)
Dec. 15 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Ovechkin)
Feb. 5 vs. MIN: W, 5-4 (GDG-Reinhart)
Feb. 21 at TBL: L, 2-1 (GDG-Stamkos)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Tage Thompson … 4 games … 100 career games played
Jason Pominville … 1 goal … 216 goals with Sabres (T-10th in franchise history)
Jack Eichel … 4 goals … 100 career goals
Jason Pominville … 9 goals … 300 career goals
Kyle Okposo … 2 assists … 300 career assists
Jeff Skinner … 4 assists … 200 career assists
Matt Hunwick … 7 assists … 100 career assists
Jason Pominville … 9 assists … 310 assists with Sabres (T-7th in franchise history)
Sam Reinhart … 2 points … 200 career points