|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Saturday, February 23
Washington 2 at Buffalo 5
Goals: Reinhart (3), Pominville, Dahlin
Goalie: Hutton (31 saves/33 shots)
PP: 1/4; PK: 2/2; Shots: Buffalo 38 – Washington 33
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 199)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Marco Scandella (upper body, Feb. 17; injured reserve) – 4 games
Kyle Okposo (concussion, Feb. 17; injured reserve) – 4 games
Casey Mittelstadt (illness, Feb. 23) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/19: Activated D Casey Nelson from IR; Placed D Marco Scandella on IR
2/22: Recalled F Danny O’Regan and Scott Wilson from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Kyle Okposo on IR; Assigned D Lawrence Pilut to Rochester
2/23: Assigned F CJ Smith to Rochester (AHL)
2/24: Acquired D Brandon Montour from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for D Brendan Guhle and a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft; Signed G Adam Wilcox to a one-year, two-way contract with an AAV of $650,000; Placed Wilcox on waivers
Tuesday, Feb. 26: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 1: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 2: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Monday, March 4: Edmonton at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 7: Buffalo at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
SABRES at MAPLE LEAFS
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Maple Leafs this season.
- Last meeting: Toronto defeated Buffalo 4-3 (OT) in Buffalo on Dec. 4, 2018
- Next meeting: Saturday, March 2 in Toronto
- The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Maple Leafs; 3-4-3 on the road.
- This is the 212th game all-time between Buffalo and Toronto; Buffalo has a 115-70-26 series record.
- The Sabres are 45-41-18 on the road against the Maple Leafs all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 12-8-3 all-time on February 25.
- February 25, 1978: The Sabres and Cleveland Barons combine for 16 goals as the Sabres pick up a 13-3 road victory. Danny Gare tallies five points (3+2) and Andre Savard, Jerry Korab and Gary McAdam each score two goals in the game.
- February 25, 1998: Dominik Hasek makes 33 saves in his return from Olympic action and Geoff Sanderson scores just 1:22 into his Sabres debut as the Sabres battle to a 2-2 tie at home against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Jack Eichel has totaled 13 points (8+5) in 10 career games against Toronto, including six (3+3) in five road games.
- Sam Reinhart has recorded 13 points (5+8) in his last 13 games against the Maple Leafs, including at least a point in seven of the last eight meetings.
- Carter Hutton is 3-0-0 against Toronto in his career with a .930 save percentage and a 1.99 goals-against average.
- Jason Pominville (3+2) and Jeff Skinner (1+4) each enter tonight’s game on four-game point streaks against the Maple Leafs.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has recorded six assists in his last five games against Toronto.
Today’s game opens up Buffalo’s 12th of 16 sets of back-to-back games this season, which continues tomorrow night at Philadelphia. The Sabres are 6-4-1 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 5-4-2 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in their previous back-to-back sets is: four points (3), three points (1), two points (4), one point (2) and zero points (1).
Buffalo entered play Sunday ranked fifth in the league with a penalty kill percentage of 82.7 percent this season. The team’s 87.5 percent success rate since the beginning of February tied for third in the league. The Sabres have allowed just one power-play goal in their last seven games, going 11-for-12 on the penalty kill (91.7%) during that stretch.
- Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner have both recorded a point on the same goal 29 times this season, making them the most productive Sabres duo since Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek combined on 39 goals in the 2011-12 season.
- At least one of the two has recorded a point on 92 of the team’s 172 goals this season (53.5%).
- Eichel has posted 17 points (4+13) in his last 15 games and Skinner has totaled 10 points (5+5) in his last 11 games.
- Jack Eichel has totaled 66 points this season, setting a new career high mark. His next goal will make him the third player in franchise history to record 20 goals in each of his first four NHL seasons, joining Rick Martin and Thomas Vanek.
- With 47 assists so far this season, Eichel is the first Sabres player to record at least 45 assists in a season since Tim Connolly recorded 48 in 2009-10. The last Sabre to record at least 50 assists was Jason Pominville (53) in 2007-08.
- Eichel is currently on pace for 46 even-strength assists this season. Only five different players have recorded at least 45 even-strength assists since the 2005-06 season: Henrik Sedin (3x), Joe Thornton (3x), Connor McDavid (2x), Evgeni Malkin and Michael Nylander. Pat Lafontaine (52 in 1992-93) is the only player in franchise history to record at least 45 in a season.
DAH-LEAN ON ME
- Entering play Sunday, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and ranked second among all NHL rookies in points (34) and assists (26).
- With 34 points (8+26) through 61 games, Dahlin is scoring at a higher rate than he did in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games for Frölunda.
- Dahlin’s current point total puts him on pace for 46 points this season. He would trail only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83) for the most ever recorded by an NHL defenseman before his 19th birthday.
- Dahlin’s three game-winning goals this season are already the most ever recorded by a Sabres rookie defenseman. His total also ties for ninth-most by any Sabres rookie and eighth-most in a season by any defenseman in franchise history.
SKINNER, SKINNER, CHICKEN DINNER
- Jeff Skinner has scored 36 goals this season, becoming the fifth player ever to score at least 35 in his first season with the Sabres.
- His next goal will match his previous career high of 37 set in the 2016-17 season and his 38th goal would tie Gilbert Perreault (1970-71) and Ray Sheppard (1987-88) for third-most ever scored by a first-year Sabre.
- Skinner’s 28 even-strength goals are already the most ever recorded by player in his first year with the Sabres, breaking a record previously held by Danny Gare (26) since 1974-75.
SAM I AM
Sam Reinhart has already set career-high totals in points (55), assists (38) and multi-point games (16) this season. The Sabres are 21-11-5 this season when Reinhart records at least one point and 30-4-7 (.817) in his career when he records at least two.
LEADING THE WAY
All three of the Sabres’ top three scorers are currently on pace to shatter their previous personal bests in points on the strength of career-best production at even strength:
|Player/Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
|Eichel Career High (2017-18)||67||25||39||64||22||20||42|
|Eichel 2018-19 (Pace)||79||26||64||90||19||46||65|
|Skinner Career High (2016-17)||79||37||26||63||30||18||48|
|Skinner 2018-19 (Pace)||82||48||26||74||38||19||56|
|Reinhart Career High (2017-18)||82||25||25||50||13||16||29|
|Reinhart 2018-19 (Pace)||82||23||51||74||22||36||58|
- At his current pace, Jack Eichel would finish the season tied for the fifth-most even-strength points ever recorded by a Sabre, trailing only Pat LaFontaine (83) and Alexander Mogilny (78) in 1992-93, and Gilbert Perreault in 1975-76 (70) and 1979-80 (68).
- Eichel is on pace to become the first Sabres player to record at least 90 points since Daniel Briere (95) in 2006-07 and would trail only LaFontaine’s franchise-record 52 even-strength assists in 1992-93.
- Jeff Skinner is two goals off the pace to log the seventh 50-goal season in Sabres history and the first since 1992-93 (Mogilny and LaFontaine). His 38 even-strength goals would be the fifth-most in team history behind only Mogilny’s even-strength total from 1992-93 (49), Rick Martin’s 44 in 1973-74, and Danny Gare’s 41 in 1975-76 and 39 in 1979-80.
SCORING WHEN IT COUNTS
- Jeff Skinner’s seven game-winning goals tied for third-most in the NHL this season entering play Sunday. He is the first Sabres player with at least seven game-winners in a season since Derek Roy (9) in 2008-09 and is four shy of matching the single-season franchise record of 11 shared by Danny Gare (1979-80) and Alexander Mogilny (1992-93).
- Skinner was also tied for third in the league with three overtime goals this season. Skinner’s total matches the Sabres’ single-season record shared by Daniel Briere (2006-07) and Derek Roy (2009-10) and ties him for 10th-most career overtime goals in franchise history.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/24 games)
- Buffalo Sabres: 82.7% PK% (5th)
- Eichel: 34 EVA (T-8th), 230 S (9th), 2 OTG (T-9th)
- Ristolainen: 24:58 TOI/GP (9th)
- Skinner: 36 G (T-3rd), 28 EVG (T-3rd), 7 GWG (T-3rd), 3 OTG (T-3rd)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (183), Girgensons (103), McCabe (88)
Blocked Shots: Bogosian (95), Ristolainen (92), McCabe (88)
Shots: Eichel (230), Skinner (198), Ristolainen (150)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 6-4-0 (12), 26/28, 8/38, 22/30
11-20: 6-2-2 (14), 35/27, 4/28, 26/29
21-30: 5-3-2 (12), 31/32, 5/28, 23/29
31-40: 4-4-2 (10), 24/27, 7/31, 27/29
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 30/34, 1/25, 14/20
51-60: 3-6-1 (7), 26/38, 7/30, 19/22
61-70: 1-0-0 (2), 5/2, 1/4, 2/2
OVERTIME RESULTS (6-6; 119-127 all-time)
Oct. 27 at CBJ: L, 5-4 (GWG-Panarin, 0:31)
Oct. 30 vs. CGY: L, 2-1 (GWG-Gaudreau, 2:40)
Nov. 8 at MTL: W, 6-5 (GWG-Ristolainen, 1:38)
Nov. 19 at PIT: W, 5-4 (GWG-Eichel, 0:45)
Nov. 23 vs. MTL: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 3:06)
Nov. 27 vs. SJS: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 1:41)
Nov. 30 at FLA: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barkov, 2:26)
Dec. 4 vs. TOR: L, 4-3 (GWG-Matthews, 4:57)
Dec. 11 vs. LAK: W, 4-3 (GWG-Skinner, 1:49)
Dec. 29 vs. BOS: L, 3-2 (GWG-Kuraly, 3:44)
Jan. 16 at CGY: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 1:10)
Feb. 8 vs. CAR: L, 6-5 (GWG-Teravainen, 3:25)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (4-2; 74-68 all-time)
Nov. 10 vs. VAN: W, 4-3 (GDG-Mittelstadt)
Nov. 16 at WPG: W, 2-1 (GDG-Sheary)
Nov. 24 at DET: W, 3-2 (GDG-Reinhart)
Dec. 15 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Ovechkin)
Feb. 5 vs. MIN: W, 5-4 (GDG-Reinhart)
Feb. 21 at TBL: L, 2-1 (GDG-Stamkos)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Tage Thompson … 6 games … 100 career games played
Jason Pominville … 1 goal … 216 goals with Sabres (T-10th in franchise history)
Jack Eichel … 8 goals … 100 career goals
Kyle Okposo … 3 assists … 300 career assists
Jeff Skinner … 6 assists … 200 career assists
Matt Hunwick … 7 assists … 100 career assists
Jason Pominville … 10 assists … 310 assists with Sabres (T-7th in franchise history)
Sam Reinhart … 5 points … 200 career points
Zemgus Girgensons … 400th NHL game … Feb. 19 at FLA
Jason Pominville … 713th game with Sabres (sole possession, 8th in franchise history) … Feb. 19 at FLA