|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Thursday, February 21
Buffalo 1 at Tampa Bay 2 (SO)
Goalie: Hutton (39 saves/40 shots)
PP: 0/4; PK: 3/3; Shots: Tampa Bay 40 – Buffalo 30
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 196)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Marco Scandella (upper body, Feb. 17; injured reserve) – 3 games
Kyle Okposo (concussion, Feb. 17; injured reserve) – 3 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/17: Recalled D Casey Nelson from his conditioning assignment in Rochester (AHL)
2/19: Activated D Casey Nelson from IR; Placed D Marco Scandella on IR
2/22: Recalled F Danny O’Regan and Scott Wilson from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Kyle Okposo on IR; Assigned D Lawrence Pilut to Rochester
Monday, Feb. 25: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 26: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 1: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 2: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Monday, March 4: Edmonton at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
CAPITALS at SABRES
- This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
- Last meeting: Washington defeated Buffalo 2-1 in Washington on Dec. 21, 2018
- The Sabres are 2-6-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 4-3-3 at home.
- This is the 161st game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has an 88-51-21 series record.
- The Sabres are 47-23-9 at home against the Capitals all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 13-6-0 all-time on February 23.
- February 23, 1986: Tom Barrasso stops 34 Washington shots as the Sabres beat the Capitals 4-1 in Buffalo.
- February 23, 2011: The Sabres defeat the Atlanta Thrashers 4-1 in the team’s first game under the ownership of the Pegulas, a day after Terry and Kim Pegula announced their purchase of the team. All three members of the French Connection surprise Terry on the ice in a pre-game ceremony.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Today’s game is Buffalo’s eighth afternoon game of the season. The Sabres are 5-2-0 in the first seven.
- The Sabres are perfect on the penalty kill in their two previous matchups with the Capitals this season, killing all eight Washington power plays in those contests.
- Rasmus Dahlin recorded a career-high three points (1+2) during the season’s first meeting between these teams on Dec. 15.
- Sam Reinhart has four points (1+3) in his last four games against the Capitals.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has recorded an assist in both previous matchups with Washington this season.
- Buffalo enters today’s game with a 17-9-4 (.633) record at home. The team’s .633 points percentage at home ranked 10th in the NHL before Friday’s games.
- Carter Hutton is 10-6-2 at home this season with a .922 save percentage and a 2.48 goals-against average.
- Jeff Skinner leads all Sabres with 32 points (20+12) in 30 home games this season. He’s the first player to score 20 goals at KeyBank Center since Derek Roy had 20 in 2007-08. Thomas Vanek (30 in 2006-07) was the last player to score more than 20 at home in a season for the Sabres.
- With 29 points (11+18) in 28 home games, Jack Eichel is also playing above a point-per-game pace at KeyBank Center this season.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 26 points (6+20) in 24 home games since the beginning of November, posting nine multi-point home games during that stretch.
- Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner have both recorded a point on the same goal 28 times this season, making them the most productive Sabres duo since Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek combined on 39 goals in the 2011-12 season.
- At least one of the two has recorded a point on 90 of the team’s 167 goals this season (53.9%).
- Eichel has posted 15 points (4+11) in his last 14 games and Skinner has totaled nine points (5+4) in his last 10 games.
- Jack Eichel’s next point will be his 65th of the season, setting a new career high mark. His next goal will make him the third player in franchise history to record 20 goals in each of his first four NHL seasons, joining Rick Martin and Thomas Vanek.
- With 45 assists so far this season, Eichel is the first Sabres player to record at least 45 assists in a season since Tim Connolly recorded 48 in 2009-10.
- Eichel is currently on pace for 46 even-strength assists this season. Only five different players have recorded at least 45 even-strength assists since the 2005-06 season: Henrik Sedin (3x), Joe Thornton (3x), Connor McDavid (2x), Evgeni Malkin and Michael Nylander. Pat Lafontaine (52 in 1992-93) is the only player in franchise history to record at least 45 in a season.
DAH-LEAN ON ME
- Entering play Friday, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and ranked second among all NHL rookies in points (33) and assists (26).
- With 33 points (7+26) through 60 games, Dahlin is scoring at a higher rate than he did in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games for Frölunda.
- Dahlin’s current point total puts him on pace for 45 points this season. He would trail only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83) for the most ever recorded by a defenseman before his 19th birthday.
- With six multi-point games so far this season, Dahlin has recorded more multi-point games as an 18-year-old than all but two defensemen in NHL history: Phil Housley (13) and Bobby Orr (8).
- Dahlin’s 33 points rank him fifth in franchise history among rookie defensemen and his seven goals tie for fourth.
SKINNER, SKINNER, CHICKEN DINNER
- Jeff Skinner has scored 36 goals this season, becoming the fifth player ever to score at least 35 in his first season with the Sabres.
- His next goal will match his previous career high of 37 set in the 2016-17 season and his 38th goal would tie Gilbert Perreault (1970-71) and Ray Sheppard (1987-88) for third-most ever scored by a first-year Sabre.
- Skinner’s 28 even-strength goals are already the most ever recorded by player in his first year with the Sabres, breaking a record previously held by Danny Gare (26) since 1974-75.
SAM I AM
Sam Reinhart has already set career-high totals in points (52), assists (38) and multi-point games (15) this season. The Sabres are 20-11-5 this season when Reinhart records at least one point and 29-4-7 (.813) in his career when he records at least two.
LEADING THE WAY
All three of the Sabres’ top three scorers are currently on pace to shatter their previous personal bests in points on the strength of career-best production at even strength:
|Player/Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
|Eichel Career High (2017-18)||67||25||39||64||22||20||42|
|Eichel 2018-19 (Pace)||79||26||62||89||19||46||65|
|Skinner Career High (2016-17)||79||37||26||63||30||18||48|
|Skinner 2018-19 (Pace)||82||49||25||74||38||18||56|
|Reinhart Career High (2017-18)||82||25||25||50||13||16||29|
|Reinhart 2018-19 (Pace)||82||19||52||71||18||37||55|
- At his current pace, Jack Eichel would finish the season tied for the fifth-most even-strength points ever recorded by a Sabre, trailing only Pat LaFontaine (83) and Alexander Mogilny (78) in 1992-93, and Gilbert Perreault in 1975-76 (70) and 1979-80 (68).
- Eichel is one point off of the pace to become the first Sabres player to record at least 90 points since Daniel Briere (95) in 2006-07 and would trail only LaFontaine’s franchise-record 52 even-strength assists in 1992-93.
- Jeff Skinner is one goal off the pace to log the seventh 50-goal season in Sabres history and the first since 1992-93 (Mogilny and LaFontaine). His 38 even-strength goals would be the fifth-most in team history behind only Mogilny’s even-strength total from 1992-93 (49), Rick Martin’s 44 in 1973-74, and Danny Gare’s 41 in 1975-76 and 39 in 1979-80.
SCORING WHEN IT COUNTS
- Jeff Skinner’s seven game-winning goals tied for third-most in the NHL this season entering play Friday. He is the first Sabres player with at least seven game-winners in a season since Derek Roy (9) in 2008-09 and is four shy of matching the single-season franchise record of 11 shared by Danny Gare (1979-80) and Alexander Mogilny (1992-93).
- Skinner was also tied for third in the league with three overtime goals this season. Skinner’s total matches the Sabres’ single-season record shared by Daniel Briere (2006-07) and Derek Roy (2009-10) and ties him for 10th-most career overtime goals in franchise history.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/22 games)
- Buffalo Sabres: 82.5% PK% (6th)
- Eichel: 2 OTG (T-9th), 226 S (T-9th), 33 EVA (T-9th)
- Ristolainen: 24:58 TOI/GP (10th)
- Skinner: 36 G (T-3rd), 28 EVG (T-3rd), 7 GWG (T-3rd), 3 OTG (T-3rd)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (180), Girgensons (100), McCabe (87)
Blocked Shots: Bogosian (95), Ristolainen (91), McCabe (86)
Shots: Eichel (226), Skinner (196), Ristolainen (148)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 6-4-0 (12), 26/28, 8/38, 22/30
11-20: 6-2-2 (14), 35/27, 4/28, 26/29
21-30: 5-3-2 (12), 31/32, 5/28, 23/29
31-40: 4-4-2 (10), 24/27, 7/31, 27/29
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 30/34, 1/25, 14/20
51-60: 3-6-1 (7), 26/38, 7/30, 19/22
OVERTIME RESULTS (6-6; 119-127 all-time)
Oct. 27 at CBJ: L, 5-4 (GWG-Panarin, 0:31)
Oct. 30 vs. CGY: L, 2-1 (GWG-Gaudreau, 2:40)
Nov. 8 at MTL: W, 6-5 (GWG-Ristolainen, 1:38)
Nov. 19 at PIT: W, 5-4 (GWG-Eichel, 0:45)
Nov. 23 vs. MTL: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 3:06)
Nov. 27 vs. SJS: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 1:41)
Nov. 30 at FLA: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barkov, 2:26)
Dec. 4 vs. TOR: L, 4-3 (GWG-Matthews, 4:57)
Dec. 11 vs. LAK: W, 4-3 (GWG-Skinner, 1:49)
Dec. 29 vs. BOS: L, 3-2 (GWG-Kuraly, 3:44)
Jan. 16 at CGY: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 1:10)
Feb. 8 vs. CAR: L, 6-5 (GWG-Teravainen, 3:25)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (4-2; 74-68 all-time)
Nov. 10 vs. VAN: W, 4-3 (GDG-Mittelstadt)
Nov. 16 at WPG: W, 2-1 (GDG-Sheary)
Nov. 24 at DET: W, 3-2 (GDG-Reinhart)
Dec. 15 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Ovechkin)
Feb. 5 vs. MIN: W, 5-4 (GDG-Reinhart)
Feb. 21 at TBL: L, 2-1 (GDG-Stamkos)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Tage Thompson … 7 games … 100 career games played
Jason Pominville … 2 goals … 216 goals with Sabres (T-10th in franchise history)
Jack Eichel … 8 goals … 100 career goals
Kyle Okposo … 3 assists … 300 career assists
Jeff Skinner … 7 assists … 200 career assists
Matt Hunwick … 8 assists … 100 career assists
Jason Pominville … 10 assists … 310 assists with Sabres (T-7th in franchise history)
Sam Reinhart … 8 points … 200 career points
Zemgus Girgensons … 400th NHL game … Feb. 19 at FLA
Jason Pominville … 713th game with Sabres (sole possession, 8th in franchise history) … Feb. 19 at FLA