|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Sunday, February 17
Buffalo 1 at New Jersey 4
Goalie: Hutton (20 saves/23 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 0/3; PK: 1/2; Shots: Buffalo 35 – New Jersey 24
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 191)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8) – 28 games
Marco Scandella (upper body, Feb. 17; injured reserve) – 1 game
Kyle Okposo (concussion, Feb. 17) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/17: Recalled D Casey Nelson from his conditioning assignment in Rochester (AHL)
2/19: Activated D Casey Nelson from IR; Placed D Marco Scandella on IR
Thursday, Feb. 21: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 23: Washington at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 25: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 26: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 1: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at PANTHERS
- This is the fourth and final meeting between the Sabres and Panthers this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Florida 4-3 in Buffalo on Jan. 3.
- The Sabres are 2-6-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Panthers; 1-7-1 on the road.
- This is the 100th game all-time between Buffalo and Florida; Buffalo has a 49-41-9 series record.
- The Sabres are 21-22-5 on the road against the Panthers all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 13-10-2 all-time on February 19.
- February 19, 1984: Dave Andreychuk records his 100th NHL point and Bill Hajt scores the 4,000th goal in franchise history in a 5-2 win vs. Hartford.
- February 19, 1991: Christian Ruuttu scores the 6,000th goal in franchise history.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres are seeking their first win at Florida since Nov. 12, 2015. A win tonight would give them wins in consecutive matchups with the Panthers for the first time since they won three straight in 2011.
- Sam Reinhart has 17 points (9+8) in 16 career games against the Panthers, including six multi-point games and points in each of the last six meetings (4+5). His 1.06 points per game against Florida represent his best per-game output against any NHL team.
- Jeff Skinner has recorded 10 points (8+2) in his last eight games against Florida.
- Conor Sheary has totaled eight points (2+6) in seven games against the Panthers since the beginning of the 2016-17 season.
- Carter Hutton is 2-1-0 in four career appearances against the Panthers with a .933 save percentage and a 2.03 goals-against average.
- The Panthers join the Canadiens as one of two opponents Jack Eichel has yet to score a goal against. Eichel has recorded 13 points (3+10) in his last 12 games entering tonight’s contest.
- Jeff Skinner has totaled eight points (5+3) in his last eight games.
- Zemgus Girgensons is expected to appear in his 400th NHL game tonight.
- Jack Eichel and Jeff Skinner have both recorded a point on the same goal 27 times this season, making them the most productive Sabres duo since Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek combined on 39 goals in the 2011-12 season.
- At least one of the two has recorded a point on 88 of the team’s 164 goals this season (53.7%).
SKINNER, SKINNER, CHICKEN DINNER
- Jeff Skinner, who scored his 35th and 36th goals of the season on Friday vs. NY Rangers, is now the first Sabres player to score 35 or more goals since Thomas Vanek scored 40 during the 2008-09 season.
- It was Skinner’s eighth multi-goal game of the season, tying his previous career high (2016-17). He is the first player to record at least eight multi-goal games in a season for Buffalo since Vanek recorded 10 in 2008-09.
- Jack Eichel recorded his 44th assist of the season on Sunday vs. New Jersey. He is the first Sabres player to record at least 44 assists in a season since Tim Connolly recorded 48 in 2009-10.
- Entering play Monday, Eichel’s 43 assists tied for 12th-most in the league and his 32 even-strength assists ranked 10th.
- Eichel is currently on pace for 46 even-strength assists this season. Only five different players have recorded at least 45 even-strength assists since the 2005-06 season: Henrik Sedin (3x), Joe Thornton (3x), Connor McDavid (2x), Evgeni Malkin and Michael Nylander. Pat Lafontaine (52 in 1992-93) is the only player in franchise history to record at least 45 in a season.
RISING IN THE RECORD BOOKS
- Jason Pominville is expected to appear in his 713th regular-season game with the Sabres tonight, which would pass Alexei Zhitnik for sole possession of eighth-most regular-season games played by a Sabre.
- With a goal on Feb. 7 vs. Carolina, Jason Pominville moved past Mike Foligno into eighth place in franchise history with his 512th point as a member of the Sabres. He currently trails Don Luce by 12 points for seventh-most.
- Pominville is also just two goals from tying Luce for 10th-most goals in Sabres history and 10 assists behind Luce for seventh-most in franchise history.
DAH-LEAN ON ME
- Entering play Monday, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and ranked second among all NHL rookies with in both points (32) and assists (26).
- With 32 points (6+26) through 58 games, Dahlin is scoring at a higher rate than he did in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games for Frölunda.
- Dahlin’s current point total puts him on pace for 45 points this season. It would trail only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83) for the most ever recorded by a defenseman before his 19th birthday.
- With six multi-point games so far this season, Dahlin has recorded more multi-point games as an 18-year-old than all but two defensemen in NHL history: Phil Housley (13) and Bobby Orr (8).
SAM I AM
Sam Reinhart has already set career-high totals in points (51), assists (37) and multi-point games (15) this season. The Sabres are 20-10-5 this season when Reinhart records at least one point and 29-4-7 (.813) in his career when he records at least two.
LEADING THE WAY
- All three of the Sabres’ top three scorers are currently on pace to shatter their previous personal bests in points on the strength of career-best production at even strength:
|Player/Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
|Eichel Career High (2017-18)||67||25||39||64||22||20||42|
|Eichel 2018-19 (Pace)||79||26||63||89||20||46||66|
|Skinner Career High (2016-17)||79||37||26||63||30||18||48|
|Skinner 2018-19 (Pace)||82||51||24||75||40||18||58|
|Reinhart Career High (2017-18)||82||25||25||50||13||16||29|
|Reinhart 2018-19 (Pace)||82||20||52||72||18||38||57|
- At his current pace, Jack Eichel would finish the season with the fifth-most even-strength points ever recorded by a Sabre, trailing only Pat LaFontaine (83) and Alexander Mogilny (78) in 1992-93, and Gilbert Perreault in 1975-76 (70) and 1979-80 (68).
- Eichel is one point off of the pace to become the first Sabres player to record at least 90 points since Daniel Briere (95) in 2006-07 and would trail only LaFontaine’s franchise-record 52 even-strength assists in 1992-93.
- Jeff Skinner is on pace to log the seventh 50-goal season in Sabres history and the first since 1992-93 (Mogilny and LaFontaine). His 40 even-strength goals would be the fourth-most in team history behind only Mogilny’s even-strength total from 1992-93 (49), Rick Martin’s 44 in 1973-74 and Danny Gare’s 41 in 1975-76.
SCORING WHEN IT COUNTS
- Jeff Skinner’s seven game-winning goals tied for second-most in the NHL this season entering play Monday. He is the first Sabres player with at least seven game-winners in a season since Derek Roy (9) in 2008-09 and is four shy of matching the single-season franchise record of 11 shared by Danny Gare (1979-80) and Alexander Mogilny (1992-93).
- Skinner was also tied for third in the league with three overtime goals this season. Skinner’s total matches the Sabres’ single-season record shared by Daniel Briere (2006-07) and Derek Roy (2009-10) and ties him for 10th-most career overtime goals in franchise history.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/18 games)
- Buffalo Sabres: 81.7% PK% (10th)
- Eichel: 2 OTG (T-8th), 215 S (10th), 32 EVA (10th)
- Ristolainen: 25:00 TOI/GP (9th)
- Skinner: 36 G (2nd), 28 EVG (2nd), 7 GWG (T-2nd), 3 OTG (T-3rd)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (170), Girgensons (93), McCabe (78)
Blocked Shots: Ristolainen (90), Bogosian (89), McCabe (78)
Shots: Eichel (215), Skinner (189), Ristolainen (145)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 6-4-0 (12), 26/28, 8/38, 22/30
11-20: 6-2-2 (14), 35/27, 4/28, 26/29
21-30: 5-3-2 (12), 31/32, 5/28, 23/29
31-40: 4-4-2 (10), 24/27, 7/31, 27/29
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 30/34, 1/25, 14/20
51-60: 3-4-1 (7), 23/32, 6/22, 12/15
OVERTIME RESULTS (6-6; 119-127 all-time)
Oct. 27 at CBJ: L, 5-4 (GWG-Panarin, 0:31)
Oct. 30 vs. CGY: L, 2-1 (GWG-Gaudreau, 2:40)
Nov. 8 at MTL: W, 6-5 (GWG-Ristolainen, 1:38)
Nov. 19 at PIT: W, 5-4 (GWG-Eichel, 0:45)
Nov. 23 vs. MTL: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 3:06)
Nov. 27 vs. SJS: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 1:41)
Nov. 30 at FLA: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barkov, 2:26)
Dec. 4 vs. TOR: L, 4-3 (GWG-Matthews, 4:57)
Dec. 11 vs. LAK: W, 4-3 (GWG-Skinner, 1:49)
Dec. 29 vs. BOS: L, 3-2 (GWG-Kuraly, 3:44)
Jan. 16 at CGY: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 1:10)
Feb. 8 vs. CAR: L, 6-5 (GWG-Teravainen, 3:25)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (4-1; 74-67 all-time)
Nov. 10 vs. VAN: W, 4-3 (GDG-Mittelstadt)
Nov. 16 at WPG: W, 2-1 (GDG-Sheary)
Nov. 24 at DET: W, 3-2 (GDG-Reinhart)
Dec. 15 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Ovechkin)
Feb. 5 vs. MIN: W, 5-4 (GDG-Reinhart)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Zemgus Girgensons … 1 game … 400 career games played
Jason Pominville … 1 game … 713 games with Sabres (sole possession, 8th in franchise history)
Tage Thompson … 9 games … 100 career games played
Jason Pominville … 2 goals … 213 goals with Sabres (T-10th in franchise history)
Jack Eichel … 9 goals … 100 career goals
Kyle Okposo … 3 assists … 300 career assists
Matt Hunwick … 8 assists … 100 career assists
Jeff Skinner … 8 assists … 200 career assists
Jason Pominville … 10 assists … 300 assists with Sabres (T-7th in franchise history)
Sam Reinhart … 9 points … 200 career points