|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Thursday, February 7
Carolina 6 at Buffalo 5 (OT)
Goals: Skinner (2), Rodrigues, Pominville, Scandella
Goalie: Ullmark (24 saves/30 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 2/3; Shots: Buffalo 39 – Carolina 30
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 180)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 24 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/3: Assigned F Remi Elie to Rochester (AHL)
2/4: Recalled F C.J. Smith from Rochester (AHL)
2/8: Assigned Casey Nelson to Rochester (AHL) on a conditioning loan
Sunday, Feb. 10: Winnipeg at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 12: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 15: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 17: Buffalo at New Jersey, 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 19: Buffalo at Florida, 7 p.m.
RED WINGS at SABRES
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Red Wings this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Detroit 3-2 (SO) in Detroit on Nov. 24, 2018
- Next meeting: Thursday, March 28 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Red Wings; 3-6-1 at home.
- This is the 139th game all-time between Buffalo and Detroit; Buffalo has a 61-59-18 series record.
- The Sabres are 37-20-10 at home against the Red Wings all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 8-6-4 all-time on February 9.
- February 9, 1984: Gilbert Perreault records his 700th NHL assist in an 8-5 win vs. New Jersey.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Today’s game is Buffalo’s sixth afternoon game of the season. The Sabres are 4-1-0 in the first five.
- Today’s matchup is the fourth game of a seven-game homestand that ties the stretch from Jan. 20 to Feb. 2, 1997 as the longest in franchise history.
- The Sabres have killed 22 of 23 penalties (95.7%) against Detroit in their last six meetings, dating back to March 20, 2017.
- Marco Scandella (500) and Rasmus Ristolainen (400) are both expected to reach games played milestones today.
- After tying his career high with his eighth goal of the season on Thursday vs. Carolina, Evan Rodrigues has totaled seven points (6+1) in his last eight games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has tallied eight assists in his last eight contests.
- Casey Mittelstadt enters today’s game seeking his first career four-game point streak, and has six points (1+5) in his last eight games.
- Since the beginning of the 2016-17 season, Buffalo is 6-2-1 against Detroit.
- Jack Eichel has seven points (3+4) in seven games against Detroit since the beginning of the 2016-17 season.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has totaled 13 points (1+12) in 13 games against Detroit since the beginning of the 2015-16 season.
- In his last two games against the Red Wings, Carter Hutton has stopped 60 of his 61 shots faced and won both contests.
Today’s game opens up Buffalo’s 11th of 16 sets of back-to-back games this season, which continues tomorrow afternoon vs. Winnipeg. The Sabres are 5-4-1 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 5-3-2 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in their previous back-to-back sets is: four points (3), three points (1), two points (3), one point (2) and zero points (1).
- Buffalo enters today’s game with a 15-7-4 (.654) record at home. The team’s .654 points percentage at home tied for eighth in the NHL entering play Friday.
- Carter Hutton is 10-5-2 at home this season with a .922 save percentage and a 2.50 goals-against average.
- Jeff Skinner (17+11) and Sam Reinhart (7+21) tie to lead all Sabres with 28 points in 26 home games this season. Reinhart has yet to play two consecutive home games without recording a point in 2018-19.
- Jack Eichel is also playing above a point-per-game pace at KeyBank Center this season, totaling 25 points (10+15) in 24 home games.
- Conor Sheary has recorded an assist in five of his last six home games.
- Jack Eichel recorded his 40th assist of the season on Thursday vs. Carolina, setting a new career high and becoming the first Sabres player to record 40 assists in a season since Jason Pominville tallied 43 in the 2011-12 season.
- Entering play Friday, Eichel was tied for 15th in the league in assists and his 29 even-strength assists tied for ninth.
- Eichel is currently on pace for 45 even-strength assists this season. Only five different players have recorded at least 45 even-strength assists since the 2005-06 season: Henrik Sedin (3x), Joe Thornton (3x), Connor McDavid (2x), Evgeni Malkin and Michael Nylander.
RISING IN THE RECORD BOOKS
- With his goal on Thursday vs. Carolina, Jason Pominville moved past Mike Foligno into eighth place in franchise history with 512 points (213+299) as a member of the Sabres. He now trails Don Luce by 14 points for seventh-most.
- Pominville is also just three goals from tying Luce for 10th-most goals in Sabres history, 11 assists behind Luce for seventh-most in franchise history and five games played from tying Alexei Zhitnik for eighth-most regular-season games played by a Sabre.
DAH-LEAN ON ME
- Entering play Friday, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and ranked second among all NHL rookies with 29 points this season. His 23 assists tied for the rookie lead.
- With 29 points (6+23) through 53 games, Dahlin is scoring at a higher rate than he did in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games for Frölunda.
- Dahlin’s current point total puts him on pace for 45 points this season. It would trail only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83) for the most ever recorded by a defenseman before his 19th birthday.
- With six multi-point games so far this season, Dahlin has recorded more multi-point games as an 18-year-old than all but two defensemen in NHL history: Phil Housley (13) and Bobby Orr (8).
SCORING WHEN IT COUNTS
- Jeff Skinner’s seven game-winning goals tied for second-most in the NHL this season entering play Friday. He is the first Sabres player with at least seven game-winners in a season since Derek Roy (9) in 2008-09 and is four shy of matching the single-season franchise record of 11 shared by Danny Gare (1979-80) and Alexander Mogilny (1992-93).
- Skinner was also tied for third in the league with three overtime goals this season. Skinner’s total matches the Sabres’ single-season record shared by Daniel Briere (2006-07) and Derek Roy (2009-10) and ties him for 10th-most career overtime goals in franchise history.
SAM I AM
- Sam Reinhart has been playing above a point-per-game pace since the beginning of November, having totaled 43 points (12+31) in 41 games during that span.
- Reinhart has already set career-high totals in assists (36) and multi-point games (15) this season. His 49 points leave him just one shy of his career high 50 from the 2017-18 season.
- The Sabres are 20-8-5 this season when Reinhart records at least one point and 29-4-7 (.813) in his career when he records at least two.
LEADING THE WAY
- All three of the Sabres’ top three scorers are currently on pace to shatter their personal bests in points on the strength of career-best production at even strength:
|Player/Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
|Eichel Career High (2017-18)||67||25||39||64||22||20||42|
|Eichel 2018-19 (Pace)||79||27||63||90||21||45||66|
|Skinner Career High (2016-17)||79||37||26||63||30||18||48|
|Skinner 2018-19 (Pace)||82||51||25||76||40||19||59|
|Reinhart Career High (2017-18)||82||25||25||50||13||16||29|
|Reinhart 2018-19 (Pace)||82||20||56||76||19||40||59|
- If the Sabres’ top scorers continue their current pace, the team would have three 75-point players for the first time since 1992-93 (Pat LaFontaine, Alexander Mogilny, Dale Hawerchuk).
- At his current pace, Jack Eichel would finish the season with the fifth-most even-strength points ever recorded by a Sabre, trailing only LaFontaine (83) and Mogilny (78) in 1992-93, and Gilbert Perreault in 1975-76 (70) and 1979-80 (68).
- Eichel is on pace to become the first Sabres player to record at least 90 points since Daniel Briere (95) in 2006-07 and would also trail only LaFontaine’s franchise-record 52 even-strength assists in 1992-93.
- Jeff Skinner is on pace to become the seventh 50-goal scorer in Sabres history and the first since 1992-93 (Mogilny and LaFontaine). His 40 even-strength goals would finish behind only Mogilny’s even-strength total from 1992-93 (49), Rick Martin’s 44 in 1973-74 and Danny Gare’s 41 in 1975-76 for fourth-most in team history.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/8 games)
- Buffalo Sabres: 82.2% PK% (9th)
- Eichel: 2 OTG (T-6th), 203 S (9th), 29 EVA (T-9th)
- Ristolainen: 25:13 TOI/GP (7th)
- Skinner: 33 G (2nd), 7 GWG (T-2nd), 26 EVG (T-2nd), 3 OTG (T-3rd)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (159), Girgensons (86), McCabe (72)
Blocked Shots: Bogosian (83), Ristolainen (79), McCabe (76)
Shots: Eichel (203), Skinner (178), Ristolainen (131)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 6-4-0 (12), 26/28, 8/38, 22/30
11-20: 6-2-2 (14), 35/27, 4/28, 26/29
21-30: 5-3-2 (12), 31/32, 5/28, 23/29
31-40: 4-4-2 (10), 24/27, 7/31, 27/29
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 30/34, 1/25, 14/20
51-60: 1-1-1 (3), 13/17, 3/7, 7/8
OVERTIME RESULTS (6-6; 119-127 all-time)
Oct. 27 at CBJ: L, 5-4 (GWG-Panarin, 0:31)
Oct. 30 vs. CGY: L, 2-1 (GWG-Gaudreau, 2:40)
Nov. 8 at MTL: W, 6-5 (GWG-Ristolainen, 1:38)
Nov. 19 at PIT: W, 5-4 (GWG-Eichel, 0:45)
Nov. 23 vs. MTL: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 3:06)
Nov. 27 vs. SJS: W, 3-2 (GWG-Skinner, 1:41)
Nov. 30 at FLA: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barkov, 2:26)
Dec. 4 vs. TOR: L, 4-3 (GWG-Matthews, 4:57)
Dec. 11 vs. LAK: W, 4-3 (GWG-Skinner, 1:49)
Dec. 29 vs. BOS: L, 3-2 (GWG-Kuraly, 3:44)
Jan. 16 at CGY: W, 4-3 (GWG-Eichel, 1:10)
Feb. 8 vs. CAR: L, 6-5 (GWG-Teravainen, 3:25)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (4-1; 74-67 all-time)
Nov. 10 vs. VAN: W, 4-3 (GDG-Mittelstadt)
Nov. 16 at WPG: W, 2-1 (GDG-Sheary)
Nov. 24 at DET: W, 3-2 (GDG-Reinhart)
Dec. 15 at WSH: L, 4-3 (GDG-Ovechkin)
Feb. 5 vs. MIN: W, 5-4 (GDG-Reinhart)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Rasmus Ristolainen … 1 game … 400 career games played
Marco Scandella … 1 game … 500 career games played
Jason Pominville … 5 games … 712 games with Sabres (T-8th in franchise history)
Zemgus Girgensons … 6 games … 400 career games played
Jason Pominville … 3 goals … 213 goals with Sabres (T-10th in franchise history)
Jack Eichel … 10 goals … 100 career goals
Kyle Okposo … 4 assists … 300 career assists
Matt Hunwick … 8 assists … 100 career assists
Jeff Skinner … 9 assists … 200 career assists
Jason Pominville … 512 points with Sabres (8th in franchise history) … Feb. 7 vs. CAR
Zach Bogosian … 600th NHL game … Feb. 7 vs. CAR