|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Saturday, March 10
Vegas 2 at Buffalo 1 (SO)
Goalie: Lehner (33 saves/34 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 2/2; Shots: Vegas 34 – Buffalo 32
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 247)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 26 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 16 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 14 games
Evan Rodrigues (upper body, March 2) – 5 games
Kyle Criscuolo (upper body, March 7) – 3 games
Seth Griffith (upper body, March 8) – 2 games
Kyle Okposo (concussion, March 10) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/9: Recalled F Justin Bailey from Rochester (AHL)
3/11: Assigned F Justin Bailey and F Danny O’Regan to Rochester (AHL)
3/13: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL)
3/14: Recalled F Justin Bailey from Rochester (AHL)
Saturday, March 17: Chicago at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Monday, March 19: Nashville at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, March 21: Arizona at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 23: Montreal at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 24: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
MAPLE LEAFS at SABRES
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Maple Leafs this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Toronto 5-3 in Buffalo on March 5
- Next meeting: Monday, March 26 in Toronto
- The Sabres are 6-4-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Maple Leafs; 8-2-0 at home.
- This is the 208th game all-time between Buffalo and Toronto; Buffalo has a 114-67-26 series record.
- The Sabres are 70-27-8 at home against the Maple Leafs all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 7-9-4 all-time on March 15.
- March 15, 1997: The Sabres get goals from six different players (including two from Brian Holzinger) to pick up the 1,000th victory in franchise history, a 7-5 win at Philadelphia.
- March 15, 2008: In a 6-2 win at Toronto, Ales Kotalik scores his 100th goal as a Sabre and Jason Pominville tallies three points (1+2) to break his previous season high of 68 on the way to a career-best 80 points.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres enter tonight’s game with a 7-1-1 record in their last seven games against Atlantic Division opponents and a 10-7-3 record against the division this season.
- Since joining the Sabres, Robin Lehner has appeared in 49 games against Atlantic Division opponents, logging a .927 save percentage and a 2.43 goals-against average in those games. At home, he’s posted a .930 save percentage and a 2.18 goals-average against the Atlantic Division.
- Johan Larsson has recorded nine points (4+5) in eight career games against the Maple Leafs.
- Sam Reinhart has posted nine points (2+7) in his last nine games against Toronto, including at least a point in each of the last four (2+4).
- Since the beginning of the 2011-12 season, Benoit Pouliot has totaled 17 points (6+11) in 16 games against Toronto, including four multi-point games.
- Jason Pominville has faced off with the Maple Leafs 51 times as a member of the Sabres, totaling 50 points (19+31) in those matchups.
- Ryan O’Reilly has five points (3+2) in his last three games against the Maple Leafs.
- Chad Johnson has a 6-1-1 career record against Toronto with a .931 save percentage and a 2.11 goals-against average.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 25 points (10+15) in his last 25 games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has 24 points (6+18) in his last 32 games dating back to Dec. 29. Ristolainen’s 24 points during that span tied for 10th among NHL defensemen entering play Wednesday.
- Ryan O’Reilly has recorded 13 points (3+10) in his last 14 games.
- Robin Lehner has logged a .946 save percentage in his last three games.
- The home team has won 25 of the last 31 games between the Sabres and the Maple Leafs.
- The Sabres are 19-3-1 in their last 23 home games against the Maple Leafs.
- Each team won on the road in the series last season, marking the first time the Sabres and Maple Leafs won in each other’s arenas in the same season since 2012-13.
- The Maple Leafs haven’t won consecutive games in Buffalo since March 21 and Dec. 12, 2008.
HOT AT HOME
- Ryan O’Reilly has 21 points (8+13) in 18 home games dating back to the team’s game on Dec. 22 vs. Philadelphia.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 12 points (4+8) in his last 12 home games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has tallied seven points (1+6) in his last nine home games.
- Jason Pominville has recorded four points (1+3) in his last four home games.
- Ryan O’Reilly, who leads the NHL in faceoffs won (1,075) and faceoff percentage (61.1%) this season, is climbing the single-season record books as well. His 1,075 wins already rank as the most wins by a Sabre in a season.
- O’Reilly’s 1,075 faceoff wins through 68 games played already rank 21st in NHL history and put him on pace to log the most by any NHL player in a season:
- Ryan O’Reilly *pace* (BUF), 2017-18 – 1,281
- Rod Brind’Amour (CAR), 2005-06 – 1,268
- Adam Oates (WSH), 1999-00 – 1,235
- Rod Brind’Amour (CAR), 2001-02 – 1,218
- Joe Sakic (COL), 2000-01 – 1,214
- At his current pace, O’Reilly would become just the third player ever to win at least 1,000 faceoffs in a season while maintaining a faceoff percentage of at least 59 percent, joining Rod Brind’Amour (five times) and Patrice Bergeron (two times).
*The NHL began keeping faceoff stats in the 1997-98 season.
- Buffalo entered play Wednesday tied for third in the league with nine shorthanded goals this season, the team’s highest total since the 2007-08 season (9).
- Ryan O’Reilly’s four shorthanded assists tied for the league lead entering play Wednesday, and his four shorthanded points tied for third.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 3/14 games)
- Girgensons: 2 SHG (T-9th)
- O’Reilly: 1,075 FOW (1st), 61.1% FO% (1st), 1,758 FO (1st), 4 SHP (T-3rd), 11 PPG (T-9th)
- Pouliot: 2 SHG (T-9th)
- Ristolainen: 26:34 TOI/GP (3rd)
- Dominic Moore recorded four points (1+3) in 18 games for the Sabres during the 2008-09 season.
Former Maple Leafs:
- Seth Griffith played three games for the Maple Leafs in the 2016-2017 season.
- Played alongside Josh Leivo with the Sudbury Wolves (OHL) from 2010-2013.
- Teammates with Travis Dermott for the Erie Otters during the 2014-15 season.
- Played alongside Tomas Plekanec for the Montreal Canadiens from 2012-2017
- Played alongside Patrick Marleau for the San Jose Sharks from 2005-2007.
- Played with Matt Martin for the New York Islanders during the 2014-15 season.
- Represented Canada with Morgan Rielly at the 2016 World Championship.
- Played alongside Tomas Plekanec for the Montreal Canadiens from 2009-2011
- Represented Canada alongside Morgan Rielly at the 2016 World Championship.
- He and Leo Komarov both represented Finland at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Played alongside William Nylander for MODO of the Swedish Hockey League from 2013-2015.
- Jacob Josefson (20th Overall) and Nazem Kadri (7th overall) were both taken in the first round of the 2009 NHL Draft.
- The first round of the 2012 NHL Draft saw both Zemgus Girgensons (14th overall) and Morgan Rielly (5th overall) go off the board.
- Linus Ullmark (163rd overall) and Connor Brown (156th overall) were both sixth-round selections in the 2012 NHL Draft.
- Sam Reinhart (2nd overall) and William Nylander (8th overall) were each taken in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (174), Girgensons (123), McCabe (110)
Blocked Shots: Scandella (97), Ristolainen (94), McCabe (79)
Shots: Eichel (201), O’Reilly (184), Reinhart (150)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-2 (6), 18/31, 2/32, 24/32
31-40: 3-4-3 (9), 24/33, 3/25, 23/28
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 27/31, 10/33, 15/26
51-60: 3-6-1 (7), 28/32, 6/24, 32/38
61-70: 5-3-1 (11), 22/26, 4/27, 18/22
OVERTIME RESULTS (5-10; 113-121 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron, 3:52)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly, 2:59)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty, 3:08)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary, 0:16)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling, 4:55)
Dec. 10 at STL: L, 3-2 (GWG-Tarasenko, 4:24)
Dec. 15 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Slavin,2:15)
Dec. 27 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barzal, 1:08)
Dec. 29 at NJD: W, 4-3 (GWG-Ristolainen, 2:37)
Jan. 1 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Miller, 2:43)
Jan. 22 at CGY: W, 2-1 (GWG-Eichel, 1:30)
Feb. 6 vs. ANA: L, 4-3 (GWG-Henrique, 1:36)
Feb. 15 at OTT: L, 3-2 (GWG-Hoffman,1:13)
Feb. 22 at DET: W, 3-2 (GWG-Scandella, 4:59)
Feb. 28 at TBL: W, 2-1 (GWG-Pominville, 1:26)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-2; 70-66 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
March 8 at OTT: W, 4-3 (GDG-Josefson)
March 10 vs. VGK: L, 2-1 (GDG-Haula)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Zemgus Girgensons … 2 points … 100 career points