|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Monday, February 19
Washington 3 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Okposo, Kane
Goalie: Johnson (27 saves/29 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 0/3; PK: 1/1; Shots: Buffalo 34 – Washington 30
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 209)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 17 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 7 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 5 games
Robin Lehner (lower body, Feb. 19) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/19: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Jack Eichel on IR; Assigned Ullmark to Rochester
Saturday, Feb. 24: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25: Boston at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 28: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 2: Buffalo at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
Monday, March 5: Toronto at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
SABRES at RED WINGS
- This is the third of four meetings between the Sabres and Red Wings this season.
- Last meeting: Detroit defeated Buffalo 3-1 in Detroit on Nov. 17
- Next meeting: Thursday, March 29 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Red Wings; 3-6-1 on the road
- This is the 136th game all-time between Buffalo and Detroit; Buffalo has a 59-58-18 series record.
- The Sabres are 22-39-8 on the road against the Red Wings all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 5-4-2 all-time on February 22.
- February 22, 2007: Patrick Kaleta records his first career point (an assist) in his NHL debut vs. Ottawa. The Sabres would win the game 6-5 in a shootout after the teams combined to record 136 penalty minutes.
- February 22, 2011: Terry Pegula announces his purchase of the Buffalo Sabres. The Sabres would finish the season by going 16-4-4 in the 24 games after the purchase to make the playoffs.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Since joining the Sabres, Robin Lehner is 3-2-1 against the Red Wings with a .953 save percentage and a 1.65 goals-against average.
- Ryan O’Reilly has four points (2+2) in his last four games against Detroit.
- Victor Antipin has recorded an assist in both of the Sabres’ previous meetings with the Red Wings this season, including his first career point on Oct. 24 in Buffalo.
- Ryan O’Reilly has recorded 19 points (9+10) in his last 19 games.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 17 points (6+11) in his last 16 games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has 18 points (5+13) in his last 23 games dating back to Dec. 29. Ristolainen’s 18 points during that span tied for eighth among NHL defensemen entering play Wednesday.
- Kyle Okposo has recorded 17 points (4+13) in his last 18 games.
- Evan Rodrigues has totaled six points (2+4) in his last seven games.
- Scott Wilson has posted five points (3+2) in his last six games.
- Buffalo enters tonight’s game with points in five straight road games (4-0-1) in the same season for the first time since the team went 4-0-1 in a five-game span in March 2012.
- A win or overtime loss tonight would give the Sabres points in six straight road games for the first time since the team went 6-0-1 in a seven-game span on the road from Feb. 8 to March 6, 2011.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has recorded 10 points (3+7) in his last 10 road games.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled seven points (2+5) in his last six road games.
- Kyle Okposo has recorded six points (2+4) in his last six road games.
- Scott Wilson enters tonight’s game with at least a point in each of his last five road games, totaling six points (3+3) in those games.
- Evan Rodrigues (1+2) has a point in three consecutive road games entering tonight’s contest.
- Robin Lehner is 2-0-1 in his last three road games, with two shutouts, a .970 save percentage and a 1.00 goals-against average.
- Chad Johnson has stopped 57 of 60 shots faced in his last two road games (.950), earning wins in both of those contests.
PLAYING WITH POWER
- The Sabres have tallied at least one power-play goal in 12 of their last 19 games dating back to Jan. 7 at Philadelphia (and went 0-for-0 on Jan. 11 vs. Columbus), converting at a 29.1 percent clip during that span.
- Buffalo’s power-play percentage during this stretch tied Florida to lead the league entering play Wednesday, as did the team’s 16 power-play goals.
- During this stretch, the Sabres have five players with at least seven power-play points.
- Ryan O’Reilly led the league entering play Wednesday with seven power-play goals scored since Jan. 7. Kyle Okposo tied for second in the league with 10 power-play points during that stretch.
- O’Reilly has taken 74.1 percent of the team’s power-play faceoffs during that span, going 54-for-80 (67.5%).
- O’Reilly’s 11 power-play goals this season ranked fourth in the league entering play Wednesday.
- The Sabres scored two shorthanded goals on Feb. 11 vs. Colorado, marking the second time this season the team has scored two shorthanded goals in a game (last: Oct. 7 at NY Islanders).
- Buffalo entered play Wednesday tied for the league lead with nine shorthanded goals this season, the team’s highest total since the 2007-08 season (9).
- Entering play Wednesday, the Sabres were the only team with three players who have scored at least two shorthanded goals this season (Kane – 3, Girgensons – 2, Pouliot – 2).
- Ryan O’Reilly’s four shorthanded assists led the league entering Wednesday’s games, and his four shorthanded points tied for second.
- Ryan O’Reilly went 29-for-39 (74.4%) on the draw on Feb. 11 vs. Colorado. The 29 wins set a new career-high mark for O’Reilly, topping his previous high of 26 (Feb. 8 vs. St. Louis). He currently holds the nine highest single-game totals in franchise history.
- O’Reilly, who leads the NHL in faceoffs won (904) and faceoff percentage (60.7%) this season, is climbing the single-season record books as well. His 904 wins already rank as the sixth-most wins by a Sabre in a season and are on pace to become the second-most by any NHL player in a season:
- Rod Brind’Amour (CAR), 2005-06 – 1,268
- Ryan O’Reilly *pace* (BUF), 2017-18 – 1,241
- Adam Oates (WSH), 1999-00 – 1,235
- Rod Brind’Amour (CAR), 2001-02 – 1,218
- Joe Sakic (COL), 2000-01 – 1,214
- At his current pace, O’Reilly would become just the third player ever to win at least 1,000 faceoffs in a season while maintaining a faceoff percentage of at least 59 percent, joining Rod Brind’Amour (five times) and Patrice Bergeron (two times).
*The NHL began keeping faceoff stats in the 1997-98 season.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/21 games)
- Girgensons: 2 SHG (T-6th)
- Kane: 3 SHG (T-2nd), 224 S (5th), 3 SHP (T-6th)
- O’Reilly: 904 FOW (1st), 60.7% FO% (1st), 1,489 FO (1st), 4 SHP (T-2nd), 11 PPG (4th)
- Pouliot: 2 SHG (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 26:30 TOI/GP (3rd)
- Teammates with Frans Nielsen for the New York Islanders during the 2014-15 season.
- Played with Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg and Jonathan Ericsson for Sweden at the 2012 World Championship.
- Represented the United States alongside Justin Abdelkader at the 2007 World Junior Championship.
- Teammates with Jimmy Howard for the United States at the 2012 World Championship.
- Played with Frans Nielsen for the New York Islanders from 2007-2016.
- Represented the United States alongside David Booth at the 2008 World Championship.
- Teammates with Anthony Mantha for Team Canada at the 2014 World Junior Championship.
- Ryan O’Reilly (33rd overall), Robin Lehner (46th overall) and Tomas Tatar (60th overall) were all second-round picks in the 2009 NHL Draft.
- Rasmus Ristolainen (8th overall) and Anthony Mantha (20th overall) were both first-round picks in the 2013 NHL Draft.
- Sam Reinhart (2nd overall) and Dylan Larkin (15th overall) were both taken in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (148), McCabe (118), Kane (110)
Blocked Shots: Scandella (86), McCabe (79), Ristolainen (78)
Shots: Kane (224), Eichel (201), O’Reilly (161)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-2 (6), 18/31, 2/32, 24/32
31-40: 3-4-3 (9), 24/33, 3/25, 23/28
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 27/31, 10/33, 15/26
51-60: 3-6-1 (7), 28/32, 6/24, 32/38
OVERTIME RESULTS (3-10; 111-121 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling)
Dec. 10 at STL: L, 3-2 (GWG-Tarasenko)
Dec. 15 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Slavin)
Dec. 27 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barzal)
Dec. 29 at NJD: W, 4-3 (GWG-Ristolainen)
Jan. 1 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Miller)
Jan. 22 at CGY: W, 2-1 (GWG-Eichel)
Feb. 6 vs. ANA: L, 4-3 (GWG-Henrique)
Feb. 15 at OTT: L, 3-2 (GWG-Hoffman)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Zemgus Girgensons … 3 points … 100 career points