|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Thursday, February 1
Florida 4 at Buffalo 2
Goals: O’Reilly, Girgensons
Goalie: Johnson (28 saves/32 shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 5/7; Shots: Buffalo 32 – Florida 32
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 186)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 8 games
Nathan Beaulieu (undisclosed, Jan. 23) – 4 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/1: Activated F Jacob Josefson from IR
2/3: Activated D Nathan Beaulieu from IR
Tuesday, Feb. 6: Anaheim at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 8: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 10: Buffalo at Boston, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 11: Colorado at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 13: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
BLUES at SABRES
- This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Blues this season.
- Last meeting: St. Louis defeated Buffalo 3-2 (OT) in St. Louis on Dec. 10, 2017
- The Sabres are 1-7-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Blues, 2-8-0 at home.
- This is the 118th game all-time between Buffalo and St. Louis; Buffalo has a 46-54-17 series record.
- The Sabres are 31-22-6 at home against the Blues all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 8-12-2 all-time on February 3.
- February 3, 1985: Gilles Hamel scores twice, including a shorthanded goal, as the Sabres top the Flames 6-1 at home.
- February 3, 1993: The Sabres trade Dave Andreychuk, Daren Puppa, and the team’s first-round draft choice in 1993 (Kenny Jonsson) to Toronto in exchange for Grant Fuhr and the Maple Leafs’ fifth-round pick (Kevin Popp) in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Tonight’s game is the third in a five-game home stand and the second of nine home games in February.
- With a win tonight, the Sabres would have wins in four straight matchups with Western Conference opponents for the first time since Feb. 10 to March 3, 2012.
- Sabres goaltenders Robin Lehner and Chad Johnson have combined to stop 127 of the 131 shots (.969) they have faced at even strength in Buffalo’s last five games.
- The Blues are one of five NHL teams (excluding the Sabres) that Jack Eichel has not yet recorded a goal against.
- With a win tonight, the Sabres would have wins in consecutive home games against the Blues for the first time since Dec. 31, 1991 and Jan. 3, 1993.
- A regulation victory tonight would give the Sabres the edge in the season series with the Blues for the first time since Buffalo won the lone meeting in 2009-10.
- With a shutout in each of his starts last week, Robin Lehner earned NHL Third Star of the Week honors for the week ending Jan. 28. With his 25-save performance on Tuesday vs. New Jersey, he has stopped 88 of 90 shots (.978) in his last three games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has 13 points (3+10) in his last 14 games, dating back to Dec. 29, despite getting a game misconduct after just 5:43 of ice time in one of those games. Ristolainen’s 13 points during that span tied for third among NHL defensemen entering play Friday.
- Kyle Okposo has recorded 15 points (4+11) in his last 15 games, including four multi-point games in his last nine contests.
- Ryan O’Reilly has recorded 10 points (5+5) in his last 10 games.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled eight points (3+5) in his last seven games.
HOT AT HOME
- Jack Eichel has recorded 16 points (10+6) in 15 home games dating back to Nov. 20 vs. CBJ.
- Kyle Okposo has totaled 14 points (3+11) in his last 14 home games, including three multi-point home games in the month of January.
- Ryan O’Reilly has 10 points (3+7) in 10 home games dating back to the team’s game on Dec. 12 vs. Ottawa.
- Jack Eichel has totaled 30 points (13+17) in 26 games since the beginning of December.
- During that stretch, Eichel ranked in the top 10 in the league in goals (T-6th, 13), points (T-6th, 30), even-strength goals (T-2nd, 11), even-strength points (T-10th, 19) and shots (T-5th, 100) entering play Friday.
- Eichel scored at least two goals in four of those 26 games and entered play Friday tied for ninth in the league with four multi-goal games this season, just two off the league lead.
I LIKE EICH
- Jack Eichel is currently on pace to shatter his personal bests in goals (24), assists (33) and points (57) on the strength of improved production at even strength (T-8th in NHL in ES goals, T-13th in ES points entering play Friday).
- With his 17th even-strength goal in his 44th game of the season on Jan. 11 vs. Columbus, Eichel surpassed his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games). Through 51 games, Eichel now has 18 even-strength goals.
- With his 35th even-strength point in his 48th game of the season on Jan. 24 at Edmonton, Eichel matched his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games).
Jack Eichel’s Production by Season
|Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
SETTING THEM UP AND KNOCKING THEM DOWN
- Of Jack Eichel’s 49 points so far this season, 23 have been goals or primary assists recorded during 5-on-5 play (excludes 6-on-5 situations).
- Through 51 games, Eichel’s 23 primary points (12+11) during 5-on-5 play have already surpassed his 61-game total from last season (11+10) and are just one shy of his total from his 81-game rookie season (12+12).
*All primary point stats via NaturalStatTrick.com
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings entering play Friday)
- Eichel: 18 EVG (T-8th), 181 S (T-8th)
- Kane: 3 SHG (T-2nd), 3 SHP (T-5th), 193 S (5th)
- O’Reilly: 731 FOW (1st), 61.3% FO% (1st), 1,193 FO (2nd)
- Ristolainen: 26:17 TOI/GP (4th)
- The Sabres selected Chris Thorburn in the second round (50th overall) of the 2001 NHL Draft. He played two career games with the Sabres, totaling one assist and seven penalty minutes.
- Phil Housley played for the Blues during the 1993-94 season, posting 22 points (7+15) in 26 games.
- Davis Payne spent parts of three seasons as St. Louis’ head coach, guiding the team to a 67-55-15 overall record from 2009-2011.
- Represented Canada alongside Jaden Schwartz at the 2012 World Junior Championship.
- Teammates with Kyle Brodziak for the Minnesota Wild from 2009-2015.
- Played with Chris Thorburn for the Atlanta Thrashers from 2009-2011 and For the Winnipeg Jets from 2011-2015.
- Represented Canada with Alex Pietrangelo at the 2011 World Championship.
- Skated alongside Jay Bouwmeester as members of Team Canada at the 2012 World Championship.
- Was a member of the Minnesota Wild during the 2012-13 season along with Kyle Brodziak.
- Teammates with Paul Stastny for the Colorado Avalanche from 2009-2014.
- Represented Canada at the 2012 World Championship with Jay Bouwmeester.
- Played with Colton Parayko and Brayden Schenn for Team Canada at the 2017 World Championship.
- Represented the United States at the 2012 World Championship with Paul Stastny.
- Teammates with Kyle Brodziak for the Minnesota Wild from 2012-2015.
- Represented Canada alongside Brayden Schenn at the 2010 World Junior Championship.
- Teammates with Kyle Brodziak for the Minnesota Wild from 2010-2015.
- Kyle Okposo (7th overall) and Patrik Berglund (25th overall) were both first-round selections of the 2006 NHL Draft.
- The second round of the 2008 NHL Draft saw both Marco Scandella (58th overall) and Jake Allen (34th overall) go off the board. They were also teammates for Team Canada at the 2010 World Junior Championship.
- Evander Kane (4th overall), Jacob Josefson (20th overall) and Brayden Schenn (5th overall) were all selected in the first round of the 2009 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (115), McCabe (109), Kane (101)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (76), Scandella (74), Ristolainen (64)
Shots: Kane (193), Eichel (181), O’Reilly (134)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-2 (6), 18/31, 2/32, 24/32
31-40: 3-4-3 (9), 24/33, 3/25, 23/28
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 27/31, 10/33, 15/26
51-60: 0-1-0 (0), 2/4, 1/3, 5/7
OVERTIME RESULTS (3-8; 111-119 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling)
Dec. 10 at STL: L, 3-2 (GWG-Tarasenko)
Dec. 15 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Slavin)
Dec. 27 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barzal)
Dec. 29 at NJD: W, 4-3 (GWG-Ristolainen)
Jan. 1 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Miller)
Jan. 22 at CGY: W, 2-1 (GWG-Eichel)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Buffalo Sabres … 1 home win … 1,000 regular-season home wins
Benoit Pouliot … 2 games … 600 career games played
Jacob Josefson … 4 games … 300 career games played
Jack Eichel … 7 games … 200 career games played
Jack Eichel … 6 assists … 100 career assists
Ryan O’Reilly … 4 points … 400 career points
Zemgus Girgensons … 5 points … 100 career points