|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Tuesday, January 30
New Jersey 3 at Buffalo 1
Goalie: Lehner (25 saves/27 shots) – 1 ENG
PP: 1/4; PK: 0/0; Shots: New Jersey 28 – Buffalo 28
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 184)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Jacob Josefson (lower body, Jan. 11) – 7 games
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 7 games
Nathan Beaulieu (undisclosed, Jan. 23; injured reserve) – 3 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/26: Assigned D Matt Tennyson to Rochester (AHL)
2/1: Activated F Jacob Josefson from IR
Saturday, Feb. 3: St. Louis at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 6: Anaheim at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 8: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 10: Buffalo at Boston, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 11: Colorado at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
PANTHERS at SABRES
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Panthers this season.
- Last meeting: Florida defeated Buffalo 4-1 in Buffalo on Nov. 10, 2017
- Next meeting: Friday, March 2 in Florida
- The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Panthers; 3-6-1 at home.
- This is the 94th game all-time between Buffalo and Florida; Buffalo has a 48-37-8 series record.
- The Sabres are 27-17-4 at home against the Panthers all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 6-5-5 all-time on February 1.
- February 1, 1976: Gilbert Perreault records two goals and five assists as the Sabres pick up a 9-5 road win against the California Seals. Danny Gare and the Seals’ Jim Moxey and Wayne Merrick all score goals within 18 seconds of each other in the third period.
- February 1, 1981: Ric Seiling scores the 3,000th goal in franchise history and Don Edwards records his 13th shutout as a member of the Sabres as Buffalo defeats Winnipeg 4-0 at home.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Tonight’s game is the second in a five-game home stand and the first of nine home games in February.
- Sabres goaltenders Robin Lehner and Chad Johnson have combined to stop 105 of the 107 shots (.981) they have faced at even strength in Buffalo’s last four games.
- The Panthers are one of five NHL teams (excluding the Sabres) that Jack Eichel has not yet recorded a goal against.
TAMING THE CATS
- Jason Pominville has totaled 38 points (15+23) in 39 career games against Florida, including nine points (4+5) in his last eight meetings.
- Ryan O’Reilly has 15 points (6+9) in his last 15 games against the Panthers, including points in 11 of those contests and four two-point games.
- Sam Reinhart has eight points (5+3) in his last eight games against the Panthers.
- Jack Eichel was named the NHL’s Second Star of the Week for the week ending Jan. 28 after leading the NHL with five points (2+3) in three games last week and adding three points (1+2) in his first NHL All-Star Game on Sunday. Eichel has 30 points (13+17) in 25 games since the beginning of December.
- With a shutout in each of his starts last week, Robin Lehner earned NHL Third Star of the Week honors for the week ending Jan. 28. With his 25-save performance on Tuesday vs. New Jersey, he has stopped 88 of 90 shots (.978) in his last three games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has 13 points (3+10) in his last 13 games, dating back to Dec. 29, despite getting a game misconduct after just 5:43 of ice time in one of those games. Ristolainen’s 13 points during that span ranked third among NHL defensemen entering play Wednesday.
- Kyle Okposo has recorded 14 points (4+10) in his last 14 games, including four multi-point games in his last eight contests.
- Ryan O’Reilly has recorded nine points (4+5) in his last nine games.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled seven points (3+4) in his last six games.
HOT AT HOME
- Jack Eichel is at a point-per-game pace at home dating back to Oct. 28 vs. San Jose, with 18 points (10+8) in 18 home games during that stretch.
- Kyle Okposo has totaled 13 points (3+10) in his last 13 home games, including three multi-point home games in the month of January.
- Ryan O’Reilly has nine points (2+7) in nine home games dating back to the team’s game on Dec. 12 vs. Ottawa.
- Jack Eichel has totaled 25 points (12+13) in his last 18 games, dating back to Dec. 15.
- During that stretch, Eichel ranked in the top 10 in the league in goals (T-3rd, 12), points (T-3rd, 25), even-strength goals (T-2nd, 10), even-strength points (T-8th, 16) aand shots (T-1st, 80) entering play Wednesday.
- Eichel scored at least two goals in four of those 18 games and entered play Wednesday tied for ninth in the league with four multi-goal games this season, just two off the league lead.
I LIKE EICH
- Jack Eichel is currently on pace to shatter his personal bests in goals (24), assists (33) and points (57) on the strength of improved production at even strength (T-8th in NHL in ES goals, T-10th in ES points entering play Wednesday).
- With his 17th even-strength goal in his 44th game of the season on Jan. 11 vs. Columbus, Eichel surpassed his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games). Through 50 games, Eichel now has 18 even-strength goals.
- With his 35th even-strength point in his 48th game of the season on Jan. 24 at Edmonton, Eichel matched his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games).
Jack Eichel’s Production by Season
|Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
SETTING THEM UP AND KNOCKING THEM DOWN
- Of Jack Eichel’s 49 points so far this season, 23 have been goals or primary assists recorded during 5-on-5 play (excludes 6-on-5 situations).
- Through 50 games, Eichel’s 23 primary points (12+11) during 5-on-5 play have already surpassed his 61-game total from last season (11+10) and are just one shy of his total from his 81-game rookie season (12+12).
*All primary point stats via NaturalStatTrick.com
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings entering play Wednesday)
- Eichel: 18 EVG (T-8th), 177 S (9th), 35 EVP (T-10th)
- Kane: 3 SHG (T-2nd), 3 SHP (T-5th), 190 S (5th)
- O’Reilly: 718 FOW (1st), 61.6% FO% (1st), 1,165 FO (2nd)
- Ristolainen: 26:15 TOI/GP (4th)
- Jamie McGinn recorded 27 points (14+13) in 63 games for the Sabres during the 2015-16 season.
- Mark Pysyk was taken by the Sabres in the first round (23rd overall) of the 2010 NHL Draft. In 125 games over four seasons, Pysyk recorded 26 points (5+21).
- Teammates with Evgenii Dadonov for Team Russia at the 2015 and 2016 World Championships.
- Represented Canada alongside Mark Pysyk at the 2012 World Junior Championship.
- Represented the United States alongside Ian McCoshen at the 2014 and 2015 World Junior Championships.
- Was named to Team North America for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey along with Aaron Ekblad and Vincent Trochek.
- Spent the 2011-12 season playing with Michael Matheson for the Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL).
- Johnson, and Radim Vrbata and Keith Yandle were teammates for the Phoenix Coyotes during the 2012-13 season.
- Represented the United States alongside Vincent Trochek at the 2013 World Junior Championship and the 2014 World Championship.
- Represented the United States alongside Keith Yandle at the 2010 World Championship.
- Teammates with Michael Haley for the New York Islanders from 2009-2012.
- He and Aaron Ekblad share a birth date. O’Reilly was born on Feb. 7, 1991, and Ekblad was born on Feb. 7, 1996. The two also played together for Team Canada at the 2015 World Championship.
- Teammates with Jamie McGinn for the Colorado Avalanche from 2011-2015.
- Played alongside Michael Matheson for Team Canada at the 2016 World Championship.
- Played alongside Michael Matheson for Team Canada at the 2016 World Championship.
- Represented Finland alongside Aleksander Barkov at the 2012 World U18 Championship and the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Played with Michael Haley for the San Jose Sharks from 2014-2016.
- Justin Falk (110th overall) was taken two picks before Colton Sceviour (112th overall) in the fourth round of the 2007 NHL Draft.
- Johan Larsson (56th overall by Minnesota), Alex Petrovic (36th overall) and Connor Brickley (50th overall) were all drafted in the second round of the 2010 NHL Draft.
- Nathan Beaulieu (17th overall) and Jonathan Huberdeau (3rd overall) were both taken in the first round of the 2011 NHL Draft. They were also teammates for the Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) from 2009-2012 and for Team Canada at the 2012 World Junior Championship.
- The first round of the 2012 NHL Draft saw both Zemgus Girgensons (14th overall) and Mike Matheson (23rd overall) go off the board.
- Rasmus Ristolainen (8th overall) and Alexander Barkov (2nd overall) were both selected in the first round of the 2013 NHL Draft.
- Justin Bailey (52nd overall) and Ian McCoshen (31st overall) were both second-round picks in the 2013 NHL Draft.
- Sam Reinhart (2nd overall) and Aaron Ekblad (1st overall) were the top two picks in the 2014 NHL Draft. Jared McCann (24th overall) was also taken in the first round in 2014.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (112), McCabe (106), Kane (99)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (75), Scandella (74), Ristolainen (64)
Shots: Kane (190), Eichel (177), O’Reilly (132)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-2 (6), 18/31, 2/32, 24/32
31-40: 3-4-3 (9), 24/33, 3/25, 23/28
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 27/31, 10/33, 15/26
OVERTIME RESULTS (3-8; 111-119 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling)
Dec. 10 at STL: L, 3-2 (GWG-Tarasenko)
Dec. 15 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Slavin)
Dec. 27 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barzal)
Dec. 29 at NJD: W, 4-3 (GWG-Ristolainen)
Jan. 1 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Miller)
Jan. 22 at CGY: W, 2-1 (GWG-Eichel)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Buffalo Sabres … 1 home win … 1,000 regular-season home wins
Benoit Pouliot … 2 games … 600 career games played
Jack Eichel … 8 games … 200 career games played
Jack Eichel … 6 assists … 100 career assists
Ryan O’Reilly … 5 points … 400 career points
Zemgus Girgensons … 6 points … 100 career points