|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Thursday, January 4
Buffalo 2 at Minnesota 6
Goals: Reinhart, Kane
Goalie: Lehner (11 saves/17 shots); Johnson (10 saves/10 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 2/3; Shots: Buffalo 31 – Minnesota 27
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 155)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Victor Antipin (illness, Dec. 29) – 3 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/5: Activated D Taylor Fedun from IR; assigned Fedun to Rochester (AHL)
Sunday, Jan. 7: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 1 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 9: Winnipeg at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 11: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 18: Buffalo at NY Rangers, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 20: Dallas at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
SABRES at JETS
- This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Jets this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Winnipeg 4-3 in Buffalo on Jan. 7, 2017
- Next meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 9 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Jets; 3-6-1 on the road.
- This is the 60th game all-time between Buffalo and Winnipeg/Atlanta; Buffalo has a 26-22-11 series record.
- The Sabres are 9-13-7 on the road against the Jets/Thrashers all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 8-5-3 all-time on January 5.
- January 5, 1996: The Sabres retire Tim Horton’s No. 2 jersey before a 3-1 home win against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres are 4-4-5 in their last 13 games, and haven’t gone two straight games without a point since that stretch began with a win on Dec. 5 at Colorado.
- Buffalo is looking to extend its all-time series-best four-game winning streak against the Jets.
- A win tonight would give the Sabres three straight road wins against the Jets/Thrashers franchise for the first time ever. The Sabres last won three or more consecutive games in Winnipeg when they won four in a row from March 20, 1989 to March 13, 1991 against the previous incarnation of the Jets that is now located in Arizona.
- Jack Eichel has totaled 11 points (7+4) in his last eight games. Since beginning that stretch on Dec. 15, Eichel ranked in the top three in the league in goals (T-1st, 7), even-strength goals (T-1st, 6) and even-strength points (T-2nd, 10) as the end of last night’s game.
- Kyle Okposo enters tonight’s game with five points (1+4) in his last six games. He hasn’t gone two games without recording a point since Dec. 2 and 5.
- Ryan O’Reilly has five points (1+4) in his last five games.
- Sam Reinhart has goals in consecutive games for the third time this season and is seeking his first three-game goal streak since Feb. 4 to 9, 2016.
HOT AGAINST WINNIPEG
- Jason Pominville has 14 points (4+10) in his last 15 games against Winnipeg, including four points (2+2) in his last meeting on Feb. 7, 2016.
- Kyle Okposo has 12 points (5+7) in his last 12 games against the Jets. In 24 career games against Winnipeg/Atlanta, Okposo has eight multi-point outings.
- Sam Reinhart has recorded six points (4+2) in four career games against the Jets, including his first career hat trick on Jan. 10 in Winnipeg.
- Ryan O’Reilly has four points (1+3) in four games against Winnipeg since joining the Sabres.
- Scott Wilson (1+2), Marco Scandella (1+2) and Nathan Beaulieu (0+3) each have three points in their last three games against the Jets.
- Chad Johnson is 2-1-2 in his career against Winnipeg with a .944 save percentage and a 1.56 goals-against average.
- Robin Lehner is 3-0-0 against the Jets in his career, with a .949 save percentage and a 1.67 goals-against average.
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
Tonight’s game is the sixth of seven consecutive games away from KeyBank Center for the Sabres. This stretch is the fourth time the team has ever played away from home seven times in a row, the longest such stretch in franchise history, and the first time since January 2012. The team’s next game in Buffalo will take place on Jan. 9 vs. Winnipeg.
Tonight’s game wraps up Buffalo’s 10th of 16 sets of back-to-back games this season, which began last night with a 6-2 loss at Minnesota. The Sabres are 3-7-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 2-5-2 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to-back sets is: four points (0), three points (0), two points (5), one point (2) and zero points (2).
I LIKE EICH
- Jack Eichel is currently on pace to shatter his personal bests in goals (24), assists (33) and points (57) on the strength of improved production at even strength (T-10th in NHL in ES goals, T-11th in ES points).
- Eichel’s 14 even-strength goals through 40 games match his total from last season (61 games) and are just two shy of his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games).
- Eichel’s 29 even-strength points through 40 games are four shy of his total from last season (61 games) and are just six shy of his career-best total from 2015-16 (81 games).
Jack Eichel’s Production by Season
|Season||GP||G||A||PTS||ES G||ES A||ES P|
SETTING THEM UP AND KNOCKING THEM DOWN
- Of Jack Eichel’s 35 points so far this season, 22 have been goals or primary assists recorded during 5-on-5 play (excludes empty-net goals).
- Through 40 games, Eichel’s 22 primary points (11+11) during 5-on-5 play have already surpassed his 61-game total from last season (11+10) and are just two shy of his total from his 81-game rookie season (12+12).
2017-18 Primary Points Leaders at 5-on-5 (After last night’s game)
|Player||Team||Goals||Primary Assists||Primary Points|
*All primary point stats via NaturalStatTrick.com
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings after last night’s game)
- Eichel: 14 EVG (T-10th)
- Kane: 3 SHG (T-2nd), 3 SHP (T-2nd), 165 S (4th)
- O’Reilly: 582 FOW (1st), 61.3% FO% (1st), 950 FO (2nd)
- Ristolainen: 26:06 TOI/GP (5th)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: McCabe (91) Ristolainen (86), Kane (84)
Blocked Shots: Scandella (65), McCabe (61), Ristolainen (53)
Shots: Kane (165), Eichel (135), O’Reilly (96)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-2 (6), 18/31, 2/32, 24/32
31-40: 3-3-4 (9), 22/27, 3/22, 21/26
41-50: 0-1-0 (0), 2/6, 0/3, 2/3
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-8; 110-119 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling)
Dec. 10 at STL: L, 3-2 (GWG-Tarasenko)
Dec. 15 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Slavin)
Dec. 27 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barzal)
Dec. 29 at NJD: W, 4-3 (GWG-Ristolainen)
Jan. 1 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Miller)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Buffalo Sabres … 2 home wins … 1,000 regular-season home wins
Robin Lehner … 3 games … 200 career games played
Jacob Josefson … 8 games … 300 career games played
Rasmus Ristolainen … 4 assists … 100 career assists
Marco Scandella … 100th NHL point … Jan. 4 at Minnesota