|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Friday, December 8
Buffalo 2 at Chicago 3 (OT)
Goals: Pominville, Okposo
Goalie: Lehner (48 saves/51 shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 3/4; Shots: Chicago 51 – Buffalo 28
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 134)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Taylor Fedun (lower body, Nov. 17; injured reserve) – 12 games
Jacob Josefson (ankle, Nov. 28; injured reserve) – 5 games
Nathan Beaulieu (illness, Dec. 5) – 2 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/4: Acquired F Scott Wilson from Detroit in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft; Recalled F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL); Assigned F Kyle Criscuolo to Rochester; Placed F Matt Moulson on waivers
12/5: Assigned F Matt Moulson to Ontario (AHL)
Tuesday, Dec. 12: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 14: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 15: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 19: Boston at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 22: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at BLUES
- This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Blues this season.
- Next meeting: Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018 in Buffalo
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated St. Louis 3-2 in Buffalo on Feb. 18
- The Sabres are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Blues, 1-6-3 on the road.
- This is the 117th game all-time between Buffalo and St. Louis; Buffalo has a 46-54-16 series record.
- The Sabres are 15-32-10 on the road against the Blues all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 10-8-1 all-time on December 10.
- December 10, 1983: Phil Housley records his 100th NHL point in a 4-2 win at Boston. Housley remains the only defenseman ever to record 100 points for the Sabres before his 20th birthday.
- December 10, 1989: Dave Andreychuk records his 500th NHL point in a 4-3 win vs. Washington. Andreychuk, who ranks second in Sabres history with 804 points, is one of just nine Sabres player to record 500 points with the team.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Tonight’s game is Buffalo’s final in a three-game Western Conference trip that began with a 4-2 win at Colorado on Tuesday and a 3-2 overtime loss at Chicago on Friday.
- The Sabres are 7-7-3 in road games (and 6-6-3 at home) against Central Division teams since the beginning of the 2015-16 season. A win or overtime loss tonight would give the Sabres points in three straight visits to Central Division opponents for the first time since the team went 4-0-1 in their five Central Division road games from Dec. 3, 2003 to Jan. 10, 2007.
- Robin Lehner made 48 saves in Buffalo’s overtime loss at Chicago on Friday, including all 35 shots he faced during 5-on-5 play. Lehner has not allowed a 5-on-5 goal in either of first two games of this road trip.
- If he dresses, tonight will be Ryan O’Reilly’s 600th NHL game.
STINGING THE BLUES
- Robin Lehner is 4-2-0 in his career against St. Louis with a .925 save percentage.
- Kyle Okposo has 10 points (3+7) in his last nine games against the Blues, including five points (2+3) in his last four visits to St. Louis.
- Ryan O’Reilly has six points (4+2) in his last four road games against the Blues, dating back to the beginning of the 2013-14 season.
Rasmus Ristolainen logged 31:44 of ice time on Friday at Chicago, topping the 30-minute mark for the second straight game and the 10th time in his career.
- According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Ristolainen became the first Sabres player to top 30 minutes in consecutive games since Dmitri Kalinin did so on March 15 and 17, 2004. No Sabre has ever logged more than 30 minutes of ice time in three straight games.
- He now leads the league with an average of 27:14 of ice time per game this season. The Sabres are 6-1-3 in Ristolainen’s career when the defenseman skates more than 30 minutes.
- The Sabres and the Buffalo Bills are playing on the same day for the second of two times this season after doing so three times last season. The other occurrence was Nov. 2.
- The teams have played on the same date 216 times, with both teams winning their respective games on 48 of those days.
- The Sabres are 116-67-33 when playing on a Bills game day and the Bills enter this game 91-123-2 on those dates.
- The last time the Sabres and Bills both won on the same date was Oct. 16, 2016.
NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN
On Monday, the Sabres recalled Evan Rodrigues from the Rochester Americans and acquired Scott Wilson in a trade with the Detroit Red Wings. The pair, who played together as teenagers for the OJHL’s Georgetown Raiders in 2009-10 and 2010-11, have skated as linemates in each of the Sabres’ last two games. Both players recorded their first point of the season with assist each on Kyle Okposo’s second-period goal on Friday at Chicago.
THE KANE EVENT
Since the beginning of the 2016-17 season, Evander Kane has scored 41 goals in 99 games. Entering play Saturday, those 41 goals tied for 20th in the league during that span and his 34 even-strength goals tied for ninth.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 12/9 games)
- Eichel: 2 SHP (T-6th)
- Kane: 3 SHG (T-1st), 3 SHP (T-1st), 129 S (2nd)
- O’Reilly: 436 FOW (1st), 61.2% FO% (1st), 712 FO (2nd), 2 SHP (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 27:14 TOI/GP (1st)
- The Sabres selected Chris Thorburn in the second round (50th overall) of the 2001 NHL Draft. He played two career games with the Sabres, totaling one assist and seven penalty minutes.
- Phil Housley played for the Blues during the 1993-94 season, posting 22 points (7+15) in 26 games.
- Davis Payne spent parts of three seasons as St. Louis’ head coach, guiding the team to a 67-55-15 overall record from 2009-2011.
- Played with Chris Thorburn for the Atlanta Thrashers from 2008-2011 and For the Winnipeg Jets from 2011-2015.
- Teammates with Kyle Brodziak for the Minnesota Wild from 2009-2015.
- Played with Chris Thorburn for the Atlanta Thrashers from 2009-2011 and For the Winnipeg Jets from 2011-2015.
- Represented Canada with Alex Pietrangelo at the 2011 World Championship.
- Skated alongside Jay Bouwmeester as members of Team Canada at the 2012 World Championship.
- Was a member of the Minnesota Wild during the 2012-13 season along with Kyle Brodziak.
- Teammates with Paul Stastny for the Colorado Avalanche from 2009-2014.
- Represented Canada at the 2012 World Championship with Jay Bouwmeester.
- Played with Colton Parayko and Brayden Schenn for Team Canada at the 2017 World Championship.
- Represented the United States at the 2012 World Championship with Paul Stastny.
- Teammates with Kyle Brodziak for the Minnesota Wild from 2012-2015.
- Represented Canada alongside Brayden Schenn at the 2010 World Junior Championship.
- Teammates with Kyle Brodziak for the Minnesota Wild from 2010-2015.
- Kyle Okposo (7th overall) and Patrik Berglund (25th overall) were both first-round selections of the 2006 NHL Draft.
- Zach Bogosian (3rd overall) and Alex Pietrangelo (4th overall) were selected one pick apart in the first round of the 2008 NHL Draft.
- The second round of the 2008 NHL Draft saw both Marco Scandella (58th overall) and Jake Allen (34th overall) go off the board. They were also teammates for Team Canada at the 2010 World Junior Championship.
- Evander Kane (4th overall), Brayden Schenn (5th overall) and Magnus Paajarvi (10th overall) were all selected in the first round of the 2009 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: McCabe (57), Ristolainen (57), Kane (56)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (49), Scandella (44), Ristolainen (37)
Shots: Kane (129), Eichel (95), O’Reilly (73)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-1 (5), 16/28, 1/28, 21/29
OVERTIME RESULTS (1-4; 109-115 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Buffalo Sabres … 4 home wins … 1,000 regular-season home wins
Ryan O’Reilly … 1 games … 600 career games played
Sam Reinhart … 4 games … 200 career games played
Rasmus Ristolainen … 7 games … 300 career games played
Rasmus Ristolainen … 8 assists … 100 career assists
Marco Scandella … 6 points … 100 career points