|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Friday, November 17
Buffalo 1 at Detroit 3
Goalie: Lehner (30 saves/33 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 5/5; Shots: Detroit 33 – Buffalo 20
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 100)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Oct.5; injured reserve) – 19 games
Jacob Josefson (lower body, Oct. 17; injured reserve) – 13 games
Rasmus Ristolainen (upper body, Nov. 4; injured reserve) – 6 games
Matt Tennyson (foot, Nov. 7; injured reserve) – 5 games
Taylor Fedun (lower body, Nov. 17; injured reserve) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/13: Activated F Justin Bailey from IR; assigned Bailey to Rochester (AHL)
11/16: Recalled F Kyle Criscuolo and D Casey Nelson from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Taylor Fedun and D Matt Tennyson on IR; Assigned F Nicholas Baptiste to Rochester (AHL)
11/17: Activated F Evan Rodrigues from IR; Assigned Rodrigues to Rochester (AHL)
Monday, Nov. 20: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 22: Minnesota at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 24: Edmonton at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 25: Buffalo at Montreal, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 28: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
HURRICANES at SABRES
- This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Hurricanes this season.
- Last meeting: Carolina defeated Buffalo 5-2 in Buffalo on Jan. 13
- Next meeting: Friday, Dec. 15 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Hurricanes; 5-5-1 at home.
- This is the 199th game all-time between Buffalo and Carolina/Hartford; Buffalo has a 102-71-25 series record.
- The Sabres are 58-32-8 at home against the Hurricanes/Whalers all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 7-10-0 all-time on November 17.
- November 18, 1970: The Sabres get 44 saves from Rogier Crozier as they defeat the Toronto Maple Leafs 7-2 in the first-ever meeting between the two teams.
- November 18, 1979: Larry Playfair scores his first NHL goal in a 9-7 Sabres win vs. Edmonton.
- November 18, 2011: Jhonas Enroth records a 34-save shutout and Jason Pominville scores the game’s lone goal as the Sabres defeat the Carolina Hurricanes by a score of 1-0.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Robin Lehner is 2-2-1 in six appearances at home this season with a .952 save percentage and a 1.49 goals-against average.
- Chad Johnson is 7-1-0 in his career against the Hurricanes with a .930 save percentage and a 2.11 goals-against average.
- Jason Pominville has 14 points (6+8) in his last 13 games against Carolina.
- Johan Larsson has totaled four points (3+1) in five career games against the Hurricanes.
Tonight’s game wraps up Buffalo’s fifth of 16 sets of back-to-back games this season, which began last night with a 3-1 loss at Detroit. The Sabres are 1-4-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 2-1-1 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to-back sets is: four points (0), three points (0), two points (3), one point (1) and zero points (0).
THE KANE EVENT
- Evander Kane has scored 10 goals in his first 19 games played this season, tying him for ninth in the league. It is Kane’s quickest start of his career, topping his mark of 10 goals in his first 22 games in 2011-12.
- Since scoring his first goal of the 2016-17 season on Dec. 3, 2016, Kane has scored 38 goals in his last 76 games. Entering play Wednesday, those 38 goals tied for fourth-most in the league during that span and his 31 even-strength goals ranked second only to Auston Matthews (32).
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings after last night’s game)
- Eichel: 2 SHP (T-3rd)
- Kane: 3 SHG (1st), 3 SHP (T-1st), 89 S (3rd), 10 G (T-9th)
- O’Reilly: 276 FOW (1st), 460 FO (2nd), 60.0% FO% (5th), 5 PPG (T-3rd)
- Pouliot: 3 GWG (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 27:09 TOI/GP (2nd)
- Lee Stempniak was born in West Seneca, New York and played for the Buffalo Lightning (Ontario Junior Hockey League) during the 2000-01 season.
- Played with Jaccob Slavin for the United States at the 2014 World Junior Championship.
- Represented the United States alongside Justin Faulk at the 2015 World Championship.
- Played with Jeff Skinner for Team Canada at the 2011 and 2012 World Championships. Cam Ward was also on the 2012 squad.
- Played with Marcus Kruger for Team Sweden at the 2012 World Championship.
- He and Noah Hanifin were teammates for the United States at the 2016 World Championship.
- Played with Justin Williams for the Los Angeles Kings during part of the 2008-09 season.
- Played with Justin Williams for the Los Angeles Kings from 2011-2015.
- Played with Jeff Skinner for Team Canada at the 2012 and 2013 World Championships. Cam Ward was also on the team in 2012 and Jordan Staal was on the 2013 squad.
- Played with Lee Stempniak for the United States at the 2009 World Championship.
- Kyle Okposo (7th overall) and Jordan Staal (2nd overall) were both first-round selections in the 2006 NHL Draft.
- Johan Larsson (56th overall) and Justin Faulk (37th overall) were both second-round picks in the 2010 NHL Draft.
- Zemgus Girgensons (14th overall) and Teuvo Teravainen (18th overall) were selected in the first round of the 2012 NHL Draft.
- The second round of the 2012 NHL Draft saw Jake McCabe (44th overall), Phillip Di Giuseppe (38th overall) and Brock McGinn (47th overall) go off the board.
- Sam Reinhart (2nd overall) was taken five picks before Haydn Fleury (7th overall) in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft.
- Jack Eichel (2nd overall) and Noah Hanifin (5th overall) were both first-round picks in the 2015 NHL Draft. They also played together for the United States during the 2015 World Junior Championship.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Kane (42), Ristolainen (38), Pouliot (34)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (29), Scandella (29), Falk (18)
Shots: Kane (89), Eichel (58), O’Reilly (46)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-5-2 (6), 19/32, 5/26, 19/23
OVERTIME RESULTS (1-3; 109-114 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Buffalo Sabres … 5 home wins … 1,000 regular-season home wins
Johan Larsson … 3 games … 200 career games played
Zemgus Girgensons … 7 games … 300 career games played
Marco Scandella … 8 games … 400 career games played
Matt Moulson … 7 assists … 200 career assists
Rasmus Ristolainen … 8 assists … 100 career assists
Sam Reinhart … 2 points … 100 career points
Marco Scandella … 6 points … 100 career points
Kyle Criscuolo … 1st NHL game … Nov. 17 at DET