|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Tuesday, November 14
Buffalo 4 at Pittsburgh 5 (OT)
Goals: Kane, Reinhart, Eichel, Pouliot
Goalie: Lehner (40 saves/45 shots)
PP: 2/3; PK: 4/5; Shots: Pittsburgh 45 – Buffalo 32
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 95)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Evan Rodrigues (hand, Oct. 5; injured reserve) – 18 games
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Oct.5; injured reserve) – 18 games
Jacob Josefson (lower body, Oct. 17; injured reserve) – 12 games
Rasmus Ristolainen (upper body, Nov. 4; injured reserve) – 5 games
Matt Tennyson (foot, Nov. 7; injured reserve) – 4 games
Taylor Fedun (lower body, Nov. 17; injured reserve) – 0 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/11: Activated D Josh Gorges from IR; Placed D Rasmus Ristolainen on IR
11/13: Activated F Justin Bailey from IR; assigned Bailey to Rochester (AHL)
11/16: Recalled F Kyle Criscuolo and D Casey Nelson from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Taylor Fedun and D Matt Tennyson on IR; Assigned F Nicholas Baptiste to Rochester (AHL)
Saturday, Nov. 18: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 20: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 22: Minnesota at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 24: Edmonton at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 25: Buffalo at Montreal, 7 p.m.
SABRES at RED WINGS
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Red Wings this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Detroit 1-0 in Buffalo on Oct. 24
- Next meeting: Thursday, Feb. 22 in Detroit
- The Sabres are 5-3-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Red Wings; 3-6-1 on the road
- This is the 135th game all-time between Buffalo and Detroit; Buffalo has a 59-57-18 series record.
- The Sabres are 22-38-8 on the road against the Red Wings all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 8-12-1 all-time on November 17.
- November 17, 1979: John Gould scores twice and Don Edwards stops 35 shots as the Sabres top the North Stars 4-2.
- November 17, 2005: Taylor Pyatt scores a hat trick in Buffalo’s 8-5 home win over Washington.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres are 2-1-2 against Atlantic Division opponents so far this season.
- Evander Kane has a point in each of his last four games (3+2). A point tonight would give him his first five-game point streak since his career-best eight game streak from Feb. 12 to 26, 2013.
- Ryan O’Reilly has totaled 11 points (5+6) in 11 road games this season.
- Since joining the Sabres, Robin Lehner is 3-1-1 against the Red Wings with a .961 save percentage and a 1.38 goals-against average.
- Jack Eichel has seven points (4+3) in his last seven games against Detroit.
- Ryan O’Reilly has three points (1+2) in his last three games against the Red Wings.
- Victor Antipin recorded his first career point (assist) when these teams last met.
SHOWDOWN IN MOTOWN
- The Sabres enter tonight’s game with four consecutive wins against Detroit for the first time since Buffalo won five in a row from Feb. 6, 1981 to Jan. 6, 1982.
- With a 4-0-1 record in their last five meetings with the Red Wings, the Sabres are on their first five-game point streak against Detroit since the team went 3-0-2 in their games against the Red Wings from Jan. 2, 1986 to Dec. 23, 1987.
- A win or overtime loss tonight would give the Sabres points in six straight games against the Red Wings for the first time since Buffalo went 9-0-1 in 10 matchups with Detroit from Dec. 10, 1979 to Jan. 6, 1982.
- Buffalo enters tonight with wins in consecutive visits to Detroit for the first time since the team won five straight in Detroit from Feb. 16, 1980 to Dec. 12, 1981.
- An overtime loss tonight would give the Sabres points in three straight visits to Detroit for the first time since they went 1-0-2 from Jan. 2, 1986 to Dec. 23, 1987.
With five divisional games remaining before the new year, the Sabres are 11-7-3 (.595) against the Atlantic Division in 2017. The record currently ranks as Buffalo’s 18th-best divisional record in a calendar year and the team’s best divisional mark since 2012.
Tonight’s game opens up Buffalo’s fifth of 16 sets of back-to-back games this season, which continues tomorrow night vs. Carolina. The Sabres are 1-3-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 2-1-1 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to-back sets is: four points (0), three points (0), two points (3), one point (1) and zero points (0).
THE KANE EVENT
- Evander Kane has scored 10 goals in his first 18 games played this season, tying him for sixth in the league entering play Thursday. It is Kane’s quickest start of his career, topping his mark of 10 goals in his first 22 games in 2011-12.
- Since scoring his first goal of the 2016-17 season on Dec. 3, 2016, Kane has scored 38 goals in his last 76 games. Entering play Wednesday, those 38 goals tied for fourth-most in the league during that span and his 31 even-strength goals ranked second only to Auston Matthews (32).
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 11/16 games)
- Eichel: 2 SHP (T-3rd)
- Kane: 3 SHG (1st), 3 SHP (T-1st), 87 S (3rd), 10 G (T-6th)
- O’Reilly: 260 FOW (1st), 440 FO (2nd), 59.1% FO% (6th), 4 PPG (T-8th)
- Pouliot: 3 GWG (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 27:09 TOI/GP (2nd)
- Played with Dylan Larkin in the United States NTDP from 2012-2014. They also represented the United States at the 2015 World Junior Championship and World Championship and played together for Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Teammates with Frans Nielsen for the New York Islanders during the 2014-15 season.
- Played with Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg and Jonathan Ericsson for Sweden at the 2012 World Championship.
- Played with Justin Adbelkader and Danny DeKeyser for the United States at the 2014 World Championship.
- Played with Frans Nielsen for the New York Islanders from 2009-2013.
- Represented the United States alongside Justin Abdelkader at the 2007 World Junior Championship.
- Teammates with Jimmy Howard for the United States at the 2012 World Championship.
- Played with Frans Nielsen for the New York Islanders from 2007-2016.
- Represented the United States alongside David Booth at the 2008 World Championship.
- Teammates with Anthony Mantha for Team Canada at the 2014 World Junior Championship.
- Ryan O’Reilly (33rd overall), Robin Lehner (46th overall) and Tomas Tatar (60th overall) were all second-round picks in the 2009 NHL Draft.
- Jake McCabe (44th overall) was taken five picks before Martin Frk (49th overall) in the second round of the 2012 NHL Draft.
- Sam Reinhart (2nd overall) and Dylan Larkin (15th overall) were both taken in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Kane (41), Ristolainen (38), Pouliot (33)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (28), Scandella (28), Falk (18)
Shots: Kane (87), Eichel (57), O’Reilly (44)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-4-2 (6), 18/29, 5/24, 14/18
OVERTIME RESULTS (1-3; 109-114 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Buffalo Sabres … 5 home wins … 1,000 regular-season home wins
Johan Larsson … 4 games … 200 career games played
Zemgus Girgensons … 8 games … 300 career games played
Marco Scandella … 9 games … 400 career games played
Matt Moulson … 7 assists … 200 career assists
Rasmus Ristolainen … 8 assists … 100 career assists
Sam Reinhart … 2 points … 100 career points
Marco Scandella … 7 points … 100 career points