|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Saturday, October 21
Buffalo 5 at Boston 4 (OT)
Goals: Pominville, Eichel, Pouliot, Kane, O’Reilly
Goalie: Lehner (27 saves/31 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 2/3; Shots: Buffalo 42 – Boston 31
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 37)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Justin Falk (undisclosed, Oct. 5; injured reserve) – 9 games
Evan Rodrigues (hand, Oct. 5; injured reserve) – 9 games
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Oct.5; injured reserve) – 9 games
Jacob Josefson (lower body, Oct. 17; injured reserve) – 3 games
Josh Gorges (lower body, Oct. 20; injured reserve) – 2 games
Zemgus Girgensons (lower body, Oct. 20) – 2 games
Nathan Beaulieu (upper body, Oct. 21) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
10/20: Recalled D Taylor Fedun from Rochester (AHL); placed F Jacob Josefson on IR
10/21: Recalled D Zach Redmond from Rochester (AHL); placed D Josh Gorges on IR
10/23: Signed F Cliff Pu to a three-year, entry-level contract
Wednesday, Oct. 25: Buffalo at Columbus, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 28: San Jose at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 2: Buffalo at Arizona, 10 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 4: Buffalo at Dallas, 8 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 7: Washington at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
RED WINGS at SABRES
- This is the first of four meetings between the Sabres and Red Wings this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Detroit 2-1 in Detroit on March 20
- Next meeting: Friday, Nov. 17 in Detroit
- The Sabres are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Red Wings; 2-6-2 at home
- This is the 134th game all-time between Buffalo and Detroit; Buffalo has a 58-57-18 series record.
- The Sabres are 36-19-10 at home against the Red Wings all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 7-8-0 all-time on October 24.
- October 21, 1982: Sean McKenna records his first NHL goal in a 6-2 win vs. St. Louis.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- If he dresses, tonight will be Jordan Nolan’s 300th NHL game.
- Robin Lehner has a 2-1-1 record, a .952 save percentage and a 1.72 goals-against average in four games against the Red Wings since joining the Sabres.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has nine assists in nine games against the Red Wings since the beginning of the 2015-16 season.
- Jack Eichel has seven points (4+3) in his last six games against Detroit.
- Ryan O’Reilly has four points (1+3) in his last four games against the Red Wings.
- Matt Tennyson recorded an assist in both of his two previous meetings with the Red Wings.
- The Sabres enter tonight’s game with three consecutive wins against Detroit for the first time since Buffalo swept the three-game season series in 1988-89.
- A win tonight would give the Sabres their first four-game winning streak against the Red Wings since the team won five in a row from Feb. 6, 1981 to Jan. 6, 1982.
- With a 3-0-1 record in their last four meetings against the Red Wings, the Sabres are seeking their first five-game point streak against Detroit since the team went 3-0-2 in their meetings with the Red Wings from Jan. 2, 1986 to Dec. 23, 1987.
- A win tonight would give Buffalo wins in consecutive home games against Detroit for the first time since the team won three straight from Dec. 28, 1988 to Dec. 26, 1989.
- A win overtime loss would give the Sabres points in three straight home games against the Red Wings for the first time since they went 4-0-1 at home against Detroit from Dec. 28, 1988 to Jan. 16, 1991.
- Jack Eichel has recorded a point on six goals with each of Evander Kane and Jason Pominville through nine games this season. Entering play Monday, Eichel/Kane and Eichel/Pominville both tied as the eighth-most prolific scoring combinations in the NHL.
- With 11 points each, Eichel, Kane and Pominville all entered play Monday tied for seventh in the league in scoring.
- Pominville entered play Monday ranked third in the league with five multi-point games. Eichel (four, T-4th) and Kane (three, T-14th) also ranked in the top 15.
Tonight’s game opens Buffalo’s third of 16 sets of back-to-back games this season, which continues tomorrow night at Columbus. The Sabres are 0-2-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 2-0-0 in the second game so far this season. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to-back sets is: four points (0), three points (0), two points (2), one point (0) and zero points (0).
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 10/23 games)
- Eichel: 9 EVP (T-6th), 11 PTS (T-7th)
- Kane: 2 SHG (1st), 47 S (2nd), 6 G (T-4th), 11 PTS (T-7th)
- O’Reilly: 134 FOW (1st), 216 FO (1st), 62.0% FO% (3rd), 2 PPG (T-6th)
- Pominville: 9 EVP (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 27:27 TOI (1st)
- Played with Dylan Larkin in the United States NTDP from 2012-2014. They also represented the United States at the 2015 World Junior Championship and World Championship and played together for Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Teammates with Frans Nielsen for the New York Islanders during the 2014-15 season.
- Played with Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg and Jonathan Ericsson for Sweden at the 2012 World Championship.
- Played with Justin Adbelkader and Danny DeKeyser for the United States at the 2014 World Championship.
- Played with Frans Nielsen for the New York Islanders from 2009-2013.
- Represented the United States alongside Justin Abdelkader at the 2007 World Junior Championship.
- Teammates with Jimmy Howard for the United States at the 2012 World Championship.
- Played with Frans Nielsen for the New York Islanders from 2007-2016.
- Represented the United States alongside David Booth at the 2008 World Championship.
- Teammates with Anthony Mantha for Team Canada at the 2014 World Junior Championship.
- Ryan O’Reilly (33rd overall), Robin Lehner (46th overall) and Tomas Tatar (60th overall) were all second-round picks in the 2009 NHL Draft.
- Jake McCabe (44th overall) was taken five picks before Martin Frk (49th overall) in the second round of the 2012 NHL Draft.
- Rasmus Ristolainen (8th overall) and Anthony Mantha (20th overall) were both first-round picks in the 2013 NHL Draft.
- Sam Reinhart (2nd overall) and Dylan Larkin (15th overall) were both taken in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (30), Kane (21), Pouliot (17)
Blocked Shots: McCabe (17), Ristolainen (13), Scandella (12)
Shots: Kane (47), O’Reilly (25), Eichel (24)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK] 1-10: 2-5-2 (6), 25/36, 5/32, 27/33
OVERTIME RESULTS (1-1; 109-112 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Jordan Nolan … 1 game … 300 career games played
Matt Moulson … 7 assists … 200 career assists
Sam Reinhart … 7 points … 100 career points
Marco Scandella … 9 points … 100 career points
Kyle Okposo … 600th NHL game … Oct. 20 vs. VAN