- The Sabres and Red Wings entered the night separated by one point in the standings. With the overtime win, Detroit (9-10-1) tied Buffalo (7-8-5).
- It was the first time the teams have met with the Sabres ranked above the Red Wings in the standings since March 13, 2010.
- With 23 saves on 24 shots tonight, Robin Lehner improved his save percentage to .922 on the season.
- Buffalo’s goaltenders have now combined to post a .930 save percentage this season, passing Montreal’s goaltenders (.928) for second-best in the league.
- With his goal, Brian Gionta now has five points (4+1) in six home games against Detroit since joining the Sabres.
- Ryan O’Reilly led all Sabres forwards with 22:48 of ice time in his return from an oblique injury that sidelined him for the last five games.
- O’Reilly ranks second among all NHL forwards this season with an average ice time of 21:50.
|Updated Season Stats|
Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma
Sabres forward Ryan O’Reilly
Sabres forward Brian Gionta
Sabres goaltender Robin Lehner
Red Wings head coach Jeff Blashill
Red Wings forward Gustav Nyquist
Red Wings forward Thomas Vanek
Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard