- With the win, the Sabres improved to 3-4-0 in the second game of a back-to-back set.
- With two points tonight, Evander Kane (1+1) now has six career multi-point games against Washington, his highest total against any NHL team.
- Philip Varone scored tonight in his season debut after being recalled from the Rochester Americans (AHL) this morning.
- Two of Varone’s five career goals have come at home against Washington. The other was his first career NHL goal on Jan. 28, 2014.
- With his first career shorthanded goal, Tim Schaller now has two points (1+1) in three career games against the Capitals.
- Cody Franson scored his first power play goal of the season and now ranks second among Sabres defensemen with four goals this season.
- Zach Bogosian’s assist on the goal was the 100th assist of his career and gave him his first multi-point game of the season.
- Josh Gorges and Zemgus Girgensons each missed tonight’s game with an upper-body injury.
Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma
Sabres forward Philip Varone
Sabres forward Tim Schaller
Sabres defenseman Cody Franson
Sabres goaltender Chad Johnson
Capitals head coach Barry Trotz
Capitals forward Mike Richards
Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner
Capitals goaltender Philipp Grubauer