- With the loss, the Sabres fell to 6-12-1 when outshooting opponents and to 2-4-0 in the second game of a back-to-back set.
- Buffalo is now 13-12-5 all-time on New Year’s Eve, including a 12-10-3 record at home and a 1-3-1 record in home games against the Islanders (1982, 1989, 1995, 2002, 2015).
- With his goal tonight, Ryan O’Reilly has 17 points (8+9) in his last 17 games.
- O’Reilly led all Sabres in points in 2015 with 67 points (25+42) in 83 games, topping his previous single-year high of 58 in 78 games (2014).
- Jack Eichel’s assist tonight gave him nine points (2+7) in his last six games.
- With his 17th assist and 25th point of the season, Rasmus Ristolainen finished the game ranked in the top 10 among NHL defensemen in goals, assists and points.
- In two games against the Islanders this season, Linus Ullmark is 1-1-0 with a .952 save percentage and a 1.52 goals-against average.
Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma
Sabres forward Jack Eichel
Sabres forward Jamie McGinn
Sabres forward Ryan O’Reilly
Islanders head coach Jack Capuano
Islanders forward Frans Nielsen
Islanders goaltender Thomas Greiss