|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Tuesday, October 27
Buffalo 4 at Philadelphia 3 (OT)
Goals: Ennis, McGinn, McCabe, Girgensons
Goalie: Johnson (30 saves/33 shots)
PP: 1/2; PK: 2/2; Shots: Buffalo 40 – Philadelphia 33
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 40)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Oct. 8; injured reserve) – 9 games
Cody McCormick (blood clot, Oct. 8; injured reserve) – 9 games
Robin Lehner (high ankle sprain, Oct. 10) – 8 games
Evander Kane (MCL, Oct. 27) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
10/23: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL); assigned G Nathan Lieuwen to Rochester
10/26: Recalled F Tim Schaller from Rochester (AHL)
Friday, Oct. 30: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 1: Buffalo at NY Islanders, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 5: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 7: Vancouver at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 10: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.
SABRES at PENGUINS
- This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Penguins this season.
- Next meeting: Sunday, Feb. 21 in Buffalo
- Last meeting: Pittsburgh defeated Buffalo, 2-0, in Buffalo on Apr. 11
- The Sabres are 2-8-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Penguins; 3-7-0 on the road.
- This is the 180th game all-time between Buffalo and Pittsburgh; Buffalo has a 64-74-41 series record.
- The Sabres are 24-47-19 on the road against the Penguins all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 5-5-4 all-time on October 29.
- October 29, 1980: Buffalo has its five-game win streak against Pittsburgh snapped as the Sabres and Penguins battle to a 1-1 tie at the Aud.
- October 29, 2010: Thomas Vanek appears in his 400th career game and Cody McCormick appears in his 200th NHL game in a 4-3 overtime loss at Atlanta.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Through nine games, the Sabres have three forwards averaging more than 20 minutes of ice time per game: Ryan O’Reilly (21:02), Evander Kane (20:18), Tyler Ennis (20:09). O’Reilly ranked second among all NHL in average ice time entering play Wednesday.
- Before Wednesday’s games, Rasmus Ristolainen (who turned 21 on Tuesday) ranked 17th in the NHL and led all players ages 22 and younger in ice time per game (24:12).
- Cody Franson has six points (2+4) in his last seven games against the Penguins.
- The Sabres need a win tonight to avoid losing seven consecutive matchups with the Penguins for the first time in franchise history. The Sabres have not gone seven or more games without a win against Pittsburgh since they went 0-7-2 in a nine game stretch from Nov. 24, 2001 to Dec. 16, 2003.
- Buffalo’s last road win against Pittsburgh was on April 23, 2013. The Sabres will look to avoid their first four-game road losing streak against the Penguins since Feb. 1, 2010 to March 8, 2011.
- The last 20 meetings between the Sabres and Penguins have been decided in regulation. The last overtime game between these teams was a 2-1 Penguins shootout win on Dec. 19, 2009 in Buffalo.
- Each of the last 16 Sabres visits to Pittsburgh has ended in regulation, with the last overtime game taking place on March 13, 2007.
HOME AWAY FROM HOME
Tyler Ennis has eight points (3+5) and 32 shots in his last nine road games, including three points (2+1) and 16 shots in three road games this season. Ennis has never recorded a point in his nine career games in Pittsburgh.
The Sabres have outshot their opponents in seven of their first nine games this season, posting a 3-4-0 record in those games. Last season, the Sabres hadn’t outshot their opponents seven times until their 75th game and finished the season 5-5-0 when outshooting their opponent.
- The Sabres have led their opponent in even-strength shot attempts (corsi) in five of the team’s nine games this season, going 3-2-0 in those games. Buffalo finished the 2014-15 season with a 3-5-0 record in games in which they recorded more shot attempts than their opponent.
- Entering play Wednesday, the Sabres ranked ninth in the league with a corsi for percentage of 52.0%. Buffalo finished last season with a CF% of 37.5%. The Sabres last finished a season with a CF% of more than 50% in 2010-11 (50.4%).
QUICK DRAW McGRAW
Entering play Wednesday, Ryan O’Reilly was ranked third in the league with 208 faceoffs taken, accounting for 37.5% of Buffalo’s total faceoffs. O’Reilly’s faceoff percentage (59.1%) ranked him ninth in the league among players with at least 50 faceoffs taken before Wednesday’s games.
READY TO MAKE HIS (ULL)MARK
If he earns a win before Dec. 6, Linus Ullmark (22 years, 91 days) would be the youngest goaltender to earn a win for the Sabres since Mika Noronen (21 years, 111 days) did so on Oct. 5, 2000 vs. Chicago.
ARE YOU EXPERIENCED?
Entering the season, the 23 players on the Sabres’ opening day roster had combined to play 6,520 NHL games, 662 more than last year’s opening-day roster had between them. The average Sabres skater entering the 2015-16 season had played 28 more NHL games than his counterpart from last season and 60 more games than his 2013-14 counterpart.
- Kevin Porter played in 43 games for the Sabres from 2012 to 2014 and posted 10 points (4+6) and 12 penalty minutes.
- Dan Bylsma became the Penguins’ head coach during the 2008-09 season and led the team to a 18-3-0 record to close the regular season and eventually won the Stanley Cup. Overall, he posted a 252-117-32 record in Pittsburgh in 401 games coached from 2008-09 to 2013-14. He also won the Jack Adams award while with the penguins after the 2010-11 season.
- Adam Clendening was born in Niagara Falls, N.Y.
- Mike Weber was born in Pittsburgh.
- Teammates with David Perron for the St. Louis Blues from 2008-2012.
- Played with Ian Cole for the St. Louis Blues from 2010-2012 and again during the 2013-14 season.
- Played with Nick Bonino for the United States at the 2015 World Championship.
- Represented Canada alongside Sidney Crosby at the 2015 World Championship.
- Played alongside Patric Hornqvist for the Nashville Predators from 2009-2011 and again at the end of the 2014-15 season. Matt Cullen was also on the team during the 2014-15 season.
- Teammates with Phil Kessel for the Toronto Maple Leafs from 2011-2015.
- Played with Rob Scuderi at Boston College from 1997-2001.
- Played with Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury for Team Canada at the 2004 World Junior Championship.
- Represented Sweden alongside Patric Hornqvist at the 2012 World Championship.
- Played with Matt Cullen for the Minnesota Wild during the 2012-13 season.
- Legwand, Kevin Porter and Jeff Zatkoff were all born in Detroit, Michigan.
- Played alongside Patric Hornqvist for the Nashville Predators from 2008-2013.
- Drafted by the Penguins in the ninth round (263rd overall) of 2003 NHL Draft but never suited up for Pittsburgh.
- Played with Kevin Porter for the Colorado Avalanche from 2009-2012.
- Represented Finland alongside Olli Maata at the 2012 and 2013 World Junior Championships.
- Cody Franson (79th overall) and Kris Letang (62nd overall) were both taken in the third round of the 2005 NHL Draft. They also both played for Team Canada at the 2007 World Junior Championship.
- Ryan O’Reilly (33rd overall by Colorado) and Brian Dumoulin (51st overall by Carolina) were both second-round picks in the 2009 NHL Draft.
- Zemgus Girgensons (14th overall) and Olli Maata (22nd overall) were both first-round picks in the 2012 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Deslauriers (25), Kane (24), Franson/Girgensons (16)
Blocked Shots: Gorges (20), Ristolainen (18), Pysyk (9)
Shots: Ennis (33), Kane (28), Eichel (27)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-6-0 (6), 20/29, 9/33, 19/26
OVERTIME RESULTS (1-0; 99-101 all-time)
Oct. 27 at PHI: W, 4-3 (GWG-Girgensons)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (1-0; 66-51 all-time)
Oct. 21 vs. TOR: W, 2-1 (GDG-Moulson)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Ryan O’Reilly … 7 goals … 100 career goals
Zach Bogosian … 6 assists … 100 career assists
Josh Gorges … 9 assists … 100 career assists
Linus Ullmark … 1st NHL game … Oct. 24 vs. NJD
Marcus Foligno … 200th NHL game … Oct. 27 at PHI