|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Sunday, February 15
Philadelphia 2 at Buffalo 1
Goalie: Neuvirth (28 saves/30 shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 2/2; Shots: Philadelphia 30 – Buffalo 22
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 191)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (lower body, Jan. 13; injured reserve) – 13 games
Josh Gorges (lower body, Feb. 15) – 1 game
Patrick Kaleta (lower body, Feb. 15) – 1 game
Evander Kane (shoulder, Feb. 15; injured reserve) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/11: Acquired F Evander Kane, D Zach Bogosian and G Jason Kasdorf from Winnipeg in exchange for F Drew Stafford, D Tyler Myers, F Joel Armia, F Brendan Lemieux and the Sabres’ latest first-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft; Acquired G Anders Lindback and a conditional third-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft from Dallas in exchange for G Jhonas Enroth
2/15: Recalled F Johan Larsson from Rochester (AHL)
Thursday, Feb. 19: Buffalo at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 20: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 22: Nashville at Buffalo, 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 24: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 26: Vancouver at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at DEVILS
- This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Devils this season.
- Next meeting: Friday, March 20 in Buffalo
- Last meeting: New Jersey defeated Buffalo, 4-1, in New Jersey on Jan. 6
- The Sabres are 5-3-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Devils; 5-3-2 on the road.
- This is the 144th game all-time between Buffalo and New Jersey; Buffalo has a 73-46-24 series record.
- The Sabres are 33-24-14 on the road against the Devils all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 7-9-5 all-time on February 17.
- February 17, 1982: Gilbert Perreault scores his 383rd career goal (a game-winner) to lift the Sabres a 3-2 victory at Chicago. While he would go on to score 512 goals with the Sabres, Perreault only needed the first 383 to set the franchise record; Rick Martin ranks second in franchise history with 382 goals with the team.
- February 17, 2001: The Sabres chase Martin Brodeur with four goals on 18 shots on the way to a 5-1 victory the last time these teams met on this date.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres will look to avoid their first consecutive defeats against the Devils since Nov. 16 and Dec. 28, 2011.
- The home team has won the last six games between these teams; the Sabres haven’t won in New Jersey since Jan. 24, 2012.
- Chris Stewart has seven points (3+4) in his last six games against the Devils.
- Matt Moulson leads all Sabres with seven goals and 12 points against New Jersey.
- Nikita Zadorov enters tonight’s game with seven points (1+6) in his last seven games played.
- Nicolas Deslauriers had seven hits on Sunday vs. PHI and ranked seventh in the NHL entering play Monday with 183 hits.
PUTTING IN EXTRA TIME
- Nine of the last 17 games between the Sabres and Devils have been settled in overtime or a shootout, including six of the last nine.
- With 11 shootouts in the 26 matchups since the beginning of 2007-08 season, the Sabres have played more shootouts against the Devils than any other non-divisional opponent (Ottawa-12, Boston/Montreal-11), going 7-4 in those shootouts.
Defenseman Zach Bogosian is made his Sabres debut Sunday vs. PHI after joining the Sabres as part of their Feb. 11 trade with the Jets that also netted forward Evander Kane and goaltender Jason Kasdorf. In his first game in Buffalo, Bogosian led the team with 11 hits and 24:49 of ice time, becoming the first player to lead the team in ice time in his Sabres debut since Jaroslav Spacek (22:58) did so on Oct. 4, 2006 at Carolina.
STEWART HEATING UP
Chris Stewart has at least a point in 14 of his last 25 games, totaling 18 points (6+12) during that stretch. His last 25-game stretch with points in at least 14 games took place from February to April 2013, propelling him to the St. Louis Blues’ team lead in goals (18) and points (36) in 48 games during the 2012-13 season. Stewart’s average ice time of 16:40 during the last 25 games is his highest average time in a 25-game span since the end of the 2010-11 season.
Brian Gionta needs one point to become the 62nd active NHL player and the 49th American player in NHL history to record 500 career points. The last player to reach this milestone as a member of the Sabres was Miroslav Satan, who recorded his 500th NHL point on Feb. 16, 2004.
FINISHING STRONG AFTER THE BREAK
Buffalo is 547-410-186 (.560) all-time in games after the All-Star break. This includes a record of 96-57-24 (.610) in those games since 2005-06. The Sabres are 2-7-0 since the 2015 NHL All-Star Game. These totals do not include games after breaks for the Olympic Games.
- Brian Gionta played for the Devils from 2001-2009, tallying 312 points (152+160) in 473 games. Selected by New Jersey in the third round (82nd overall) of the 1998 NHL Draft, Gionta currently holds the club’s single-season franchise record in goals (48), which he set during the 2005-06 campaign.
- Steve Bernier played 17 games for the Sabres during the 2007-08 season. The Sabres acquired Bernier and a 2008 first-round draft pick (Tyler Ennis) from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Brian Campbell and a 2008 seventh-round draft pick on Nov. 26, 2008. He totaled nine points (3+6) during his time in Buffalo.
- Dainius Zubrus played with the Sabres in 2006-07. He appeared in 19 games and notched eight points (4+4).
- Devils assistant coach Mike Foligno is the father of current Sabres player Marcus Foligno. The elder Foligno was also a member of the Sabres for the better part of 10 seasons from 1981-1991. During his career in Buffalo, he appeared in 664 games and registered 511 points (247+264). Foligno enjoyed the best season of his NHL career in 1985-86, when he set career-best marks in goals (41), assists (39) and points (80) as a member of the Sabres.
- Coached Steve Bernier during the 2001-02 season with the Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL).
- Brian’s younger brother, Stephen Gionta plays for the Devils. The two were born in Rochester, N.Y.
- Represented the United States alongside Scott Gomez at the 2006 Olympics. The pair also played together for the New Jersey Devils (2001-2007) and the Montreal Canadiens (2009-2012).
- Played with Mike Cammalleri for the Montreal Canadiens from 2009-2012.
- Played with Michael Ryder for the Montreal Canadiens during the 2012-13 season.
- Played with Mike Cammalleri and Scott Gomez for the Montreal Canadiens from 2009-2012.
- Played with Michael Ryder for the Montreal Canadiens from 2006-2008 and again during the 2012-13 season.
- Played with Steve Bernier and Ryane Clowe for the San Jose Sharks from 2005-2007.
- Played with Cory Schneider for the Vancouver Canucks from 2010-2012.
- Played with Martin Havlat for the Ottawa Senators during the 2005-06 season.
- Played with Jaromir Jagr for the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2011-12 season.
- Played alongside Steve Bernier for the San Jose Sharks during the 2007-08 season.
- Played with Ryane Clowe for the San Jose Sharks from 2007-2012.
- Played alongside Peter Harrold from 2007-2009 with the Los Angeles Kings. Mike Cammalleri was also a member of the team during the 2007-08 season.
- Played with Adam Henrique for the Windsor Spitfires during the 2007-08 season.
- Andrej Meszaros (24th overall), Cory Schneider (26th overall) and Travis Zajac (20th overall) were all chosen in the first round of the 2004 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Deslauriers (183), Bogosian (117), Weber (115)
Blocked Shots: Gorges (148), Weber (104), Ristolainen (82)
Shots: Ennis (127), Girgensons (104), Moulson/Stewart (99)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 2-8-0 (2), 11/33, 0/32, 33/39
11-20: 3-5-2 (8), 23/36, 4/27, 28/39
21-30: 7-3-0 (14), 22/22, 2/25, 20/25
31-40: 2-7-1 (5), 21/44, 4/27, 19/31
41-50: 0-10-0 (0), 17/43, 6/29, 26/37
51-60: 2-4-0 (4), 10/14, 3/15, 9/12
OVERTIME RESULTS (1-2; 98-100 all-time)
October 30 vs. Boston: L, 3-2 (GDG-Marchand, 1:20)
December 13 vs. Florida: W, 4-3 (GDG-Zadorov, 0:29)
December 21 at Boston: L, 4-3 (Eriksson, 2:14)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (6-1; 63-47 all-time)
October 14 at Carolina: W, 4-3 (GDG-Girgensons)
November 2 vs. Detroit: W, 3-2 (GDG-Girgensons)
November 5 vs. Montreal: L, 2-1 (GDG-Parenteau)
November 29 at Montreal: W, 4-3 (GDG-Flynn)
December 2 vs. Tampa Bay: W, 2-1 (GDG-Hodgson)
December 15 vs. Ottawa: W, 5-2 (GDG-Moulson)
December 27 vs. NY Islanders: W, 4-3 (GDG-Ennis)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Anders Lindback … 5 games … 100 career games played
Zach Bogosian … 6 games … 400 career games played
Brian Gionta … 1 point … 500 career points
Torrey Mitchell … 1 point … 100 career points
Matt Moulson … 2 points … 300 career points
Tyler Ennis … 3 points … 200 career points