|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Saturday, January 17
Philadelphia 4 at Buffalo 3
Goals: Girgensons (2), Ennis
Goalie: Neuvirth (28 saves/32 shots)
PP: 1/3; PK: 1/3; Shots: Philadelphia 32 – Buffalo 27
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 165)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Marcus Foligno (undisclosed, Dec. 23; injured reserve) – 12 games
Brian Gionta (upper body, Dec. 23; injured reserve) – 12 games
Cody McCormick (lower body, Jan. 13; injured reserve) – 3 games
Mike Weber (undisclosed, Jan. 17) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/12: Recalled F Zac Dalpe and F Phil Varone from Rochester (AHL)
1/13: Recalled F Matt Ellis from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Brian Gionta and F Cody McCormick on IR
1/15: Assigned F Zac Dalpe to Rochester (AHL)
Tuesday, Jan. 27: Buffalo at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 29: Buffalo at Edmonton, 9:30 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 30: Buffalo at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 3: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 5: St. Louis at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at RED WINGS
- This is the fourth and final meeting between the Sabres and Red Wings this season.
- Last meeting: Detroit defeated Buffalo, 3-1, in Buffalo on Jan. 13
- The Sabres are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Red Wings; 1-7-2 on the road.
- This is the 124th game all-time between Buffalo and Detroit; Buffalo has a 54-53-16 series record.
- The Sabres are 19-36-7 on the road against the Red Wings all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 11-2-4 all-time on January 18.
- Four different Sabres goaltenders (Don Edwards, Tom Barrasso, Dominik Hasek, Martin Biron) have earned a shutout on Jan. 18. It is one of only two dates on which the Sabres have recorded four shutouts; the other is Nov.19.
- January 18, 1984: Tom Barrasso makes 30 saves in his first NHL shutout as the Sabres top the Los Angeles Kings, 4-0.
- January 18, 2008: Derek Roy records his third career hat trick and Drew Stafford records his first in a 10-1 win against the Atlanta Thrashers, marking the 12th game in franchise history to feature two Sabres hat tricks.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres are looking for their first win in Detroit since Oct. 13, 2006.
- With a win tonight, Buffalo would have two wins in a season against Detroit for the first time since 1989-90.
- Brian Flynn has four points (1+3) in three games against the Red Wings this year.
- Mike Weber scored his first goal of the season when these teams met on Tuesday in Buffalo and now has a point in each of his last two games against the Red Wings (1+1).
- Chris Stewart leads all Sabres with 15 points (8+7) in 26 career games against the Red Wings.
- Matt Moulson has eight points (5+3) in his last eight games against the Red Wings.
Tonight’s game wraps up Buffalo’s 11th of 19 sets of back-to-back games this season, after a 4-3 loss vs. PHI. The Sabres are 2-9-0 in the first game of back-to-back sets and 3-6-1 in the second game. Buffalo’s point breakdown in previous back-to- back sets is: four points (1), three points (0), two points (3), one point (1) and zero points (5).
- Second-year Latvian forward Zemgus Girgensons led all NHL players with 1,574,896 votes in the 2015 NHL All-Star Game Fan Vote and will become the 30th player in Sabres history to appear in the All-Star Game when he plays in this year’s installment on Jan. 25 in Columbus.
- Of the other 29 Sabres All-Stars, only five others were selected to appear in the game in either of their first two NHL seasons: Tom Barrasso, Phil Housley, Rick Martin, Gilbert Perreault, Christian Ruuttu
- With 13 goals this season, Girgensons has already bested his total of eight from his 70-game rookie season. He has already tied his 22-point output from last season.
- Girgensons leads all Sabres forwards with an average ice time of 19:00 per game this season.
LOGGING BIG MINUTES
- After last night’s game, Tyler Myers led all Sabres and ranked 11th in the league with an average time on ice of 25:11 per game.
- He skated a team-high 22:09 on Jan. 6 at NJD in his return from a lower-body injury that sidelined him for seven games and has topped 23 minutes in four of five games played since then, including 27:33 last night vs. PHI.
- Myers has averaged 24:51 of ice time in his last 10 games despite playing only 13:10 in the game in which he sustained his injury. He entered that game having averaged 28:11 in the previous 10 games; it was the highest 10-game average of his career.
- Myers last led the Sabres in ice time in a season in his rookie season of 2009-10, when he averaged 23:44 per game.
IN THE LINE OF FIRE
- Josh Gorges ranks second in the NHL with 124 blocked shots despite missing nine games to injury this season.
- Gorges has blocked 12.9 percent of all opponent shot attempts taken with him on the ice this season, ranking third among NHL defensemen who have played at least 20 games. (Shot attempt data via war-on-ice.com)
- His best full-season on-ice shot blocking percentage was 13.0 percent in 2011-12 with Montreal. No NHL-regular defenseman has topped 14 percent in a full season since the league started counting blocked shots in 2005-06.
- Played parts of two seasons for the Red Wings (1981-82 and 1983-84), appearing in a total of 60 games. Initially selected by Detroit in the fifth round of the 1978 NHL Draft, Nolan tallied 20 points (5+15) during his time with the club.
- Played with Darren Helm for two seasons (2005-2007) with the Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL).
- Played with Niklas Kronwall, Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen and Jonathan Ericsson for Sweden at the 2012 World Championship.
- Played with Joakim Andersson for Sweden at the 2008 World Junior Championship.
- Played with Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Henrik Zetterberg and Gustav Nyquist for Sweden at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- He and Niklas Kronwall are natives of Stockholm, Sweden.
- Played with Gustav Nyquist at the University of Maine for three seasons from 2008-2011.
- Hodgson and Brendan Smith were both born in Toronto, Ontario.
- Played with Kyle Quincey for the Los Angeles Kings during the 2008-09 season.
- Played with Tomas Jurco and Tomas Tatar for Slovakia at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- Played with Drew Miller for the Tampa Bay Lightning during the 2009-10 season.
- Played with Teemu Pulkkinen for Team Finland at the 2012 World Junior Championship.
- Played with Kyle Quincey for the Colorado Avalanche from 2009-2011.
- Played with Matt Lashoff for the Barrie Colts (OHL) during the 2006-07 season.
- Tom McCollum was born in Amherst, N.Y. and played for the Wheatfield Blades (EMJHL)
- Riley Sheahan was born in St. Catharines, Ontario.
- Tyler Myers, Tyler Ennis, Cody Hodgson and Tom McCollum were all taken in the first round of the 2008 NHL Draft. Hodgson was selected 10th overall by Vancouver, Myers was taken 12th overall, Ennis went 26th overall and McCollum was selected 30th overall.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Deslauriers (148), Weber (94), Foligno (92)
Blocked Shots: Gorges (124), Weber (84), Myers (75)
Shots: Ennis (110), Moulson (88), Girgensons (85)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 2-8-0 (2), 11/33, 0/32, 33/39
11-20: 3-5-2 (8), 23/36, 4/27, 28/39
21-30: 7-3-0 (14), 22/22, 2/25, 20/25
31-40: 2-7-1 (5), 21/44, 4/27, 19/31
41-50: 0-6-0 (0), 8/25, 2/17, 16/22
OVERTIME RESULTS (1-2; 98-100 all-time)
October 30 vs. Boston: L, 3-2 (GDG-Marchand, 1:20)
December 13 vs. Florida: W, 4-3 (GDG-Zadorov, 0:29)
December 21 at Boston: L, 4-3 (Eriksson, 2:14)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (6-1; 63-47 all-time)
October 14 at Carolina: W, 4-3 (GDG-Girgensons)
November 2 vs. Detroit: W, 3-2 (GDG-Girgensons)
November 5 vs. Montreal: L, 2-1 (GDG-Parenteau)
November 29 at Montreal: W, 4-3 (GDG-Flynn)
December 2 vs. Tampa Bay: W, 2-1 (GDG-Hodgson)
December 15 vs. Ottawa: W, 5-2 (GDG-Moulson)
December 27 vs. NY Islanders: W, 4-3 (GDG-Ennis)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Josh Gorges … 3 games … 600 career games played
Torrey Mitchell … 3 points … 100 career points
Brian Gionta … 4 points … 500 career points
Matt Moulson … 6 points … 300 career points
Tyler Ennis … 9 points … 200 career points