|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Saturday, November 8
Pittsburgh 6 at Buffalo 1
Goalie: Enroth (33 saves/39 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 3/5; Shots: Pittsburgh 39 – Buffalo 21
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 46)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Matt Hackett (lower body, Oct. 9; injured reserve) – 16 games
Patrick Kaleta (upper body, Oct. 9; injured reserve) – 16 games
Marcus Foligno (upper body, Nov. 2) – 4 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/9: Assigned F Johan Larsson to Rochester (AHL)
Thursday, Nov. 13: Buffalo at Minnesota, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 15: Toronto at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 18: San Jose at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 21: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 22: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
SABRES at BLUES
- This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Blues this season.
- Next meeting: Thursday, February 5, 2014 in Buffalo
- The Sabres are 2-7-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Blues; 3-4-3 on the road.
- This is the 111th game all-time between Buffalo and St. Louis; Buffalo has a 45-50-15 series record.
- The Sabres are 15-30-9 on the road against the Blues all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 10-6-2 all-time on November 11
- November 11, 1978: Don Edwards stops 25 shots in a 2-0 victory at Washington to earn his ninth NHL shutout and the 300th win in Sabres history.
- November 11, 1981: Randy Cunneyworth scores his first NHL goal against Steve Weeks in a 7-3 loss to the Rangers.
- November 11, 2006: Drew Stafford scores his first career NHL goal against Antero Niittymaki in a 5-4 overtime win at Philadelphia.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres are looking to snap a four-game losing streak against the Blues. Their last win against St. Louis was a 5-3 victory in St. Louis on Dec. 27, 2009.
- Michal Neuvirth has faced the Blues once in his career; he stopped 25 of 27 shots on March 3, 2011 vs. STL to earn his 21st win of the season, setting the Washington Capitals’ franchise record for wins by a rookie. Chris Stewart and Tyson Strachan both played for the Blues in the loss.
- Stewart will face the Blues tonight for the first time since the Sabres acquired him from St. Louis last season. He leads the Sabres with 15 career points (8+7) in nine games against the Blues, including five straight multi-point games from Dec. 7, 2009 to Nov. 15, 2010 as a member of the Colorado Avalanche.
IN THE LINE OF FIRE
- Josh Gorges has blocked an NHL-best 58 shots, 11 more than the next highest total (Kris Russell, CGY – 47 BS in 16 GP) through Sunday’s games.
- Gorges has blocked 13 percent of all opponent shot attempts taken with him on the ice this season. His best full-season on-ice shot blocking percentage was 13.0 percent in 2011-12 with Montreal. No NHL-regular defenseman has topped 14 percent in a full season since the league started counting blocked shots in 2005-06.
- Brian Gionta has been selected to wear the captain’s “C” for the Sabres in 2014-15, becoming the 19th full-season captain in franchise history (excludes rotating captaincies in 2003-04 and 2007-08).
- Gionta, who spent the last four seasons as captain of the Montreal Canadiens, is the 27th player to wear the captain’s “C” for at least a one-month period.
- Josh Gorges and Matt Moulson were named the team’s alternate captains.
- Steve Ott played for Buffalo for parts of two seasons from 2012-2014. Appearing in a total of 107 games with the club, Ott registered 44 points (18+26).
- Jordan Leopold also played for the Sabres, from 2010-2013. He recorded 67 points (25+42) in 174 games during his time in Buffalo.
- Jim Corsi served as the Sabres’ goaltender coach from 2001-2014.
- Chris Stewart played for the Blues for parts of four seasons from 2011-2014. Stewart contributed 115 points (63+52) over a total of 211 games while with St. Louis.
- Tyson Strachan was a member of the Blues’ organization from 2007-2011. He notched six points (0+6) in 67 games for St. Louis, and added 42 points (8+34) in 141 for Peoria.
- Played for the Dallas Stars during the 1996-97 season when Ken Hitchcock was the Stars’ HC.
- He and Brian Elliott both played for the Ottawa Senators during the 2010-11 season.
- Played with Paul Stastny for the Colorado Avalanche during the 2013-14 season.
- Played with Maxim Lapierre for the Hamilton Bulldogs from 2005-2007.
- He and Jay Bouwmeester were both born in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Played with Magnus Paajarvi and Patrik Berglund as part of Team Sweden at the 2008 World Junior Championship.
- Played with Patrik Berglund and Alexander Steen for Team Sweden at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- He and Jaden Schwartz share the same birthday. Enroth was born on June 25, 1988, while Schwartz was born four years later on June 25, 1992.
- Played with Jaden Schwartz for Team Canada at the 2011 World Junior Championship, held in Buffalo.
- Gionta (1979) and Alex Pietrangelo (1990) were both born on January 18.
- Played with Jordan Leopold for the United States at the 2005 World Championship.
- Played under Kirk Muller from 2009-2011 when Muller was an AC for the Montreal Canadiens.
- Played with Maxim Lapierre for the Montreal Canadiens from 2007-2009.
- Played under Kirk Muller from 2007-2011 when Muller was an AC for the Montreal Canadiens.
- Played with Maxim Lapierre for the Vancouver Canucks during the 2011-12 season.
- Played with Paul Stastny and Jordan Leopold for the Colorado Avalanche from 2006-09.
- Played with Brian Elliot for the Ottawa Senators during the 2007-08 season.
- Played with Jordan Leopold for the United States at the 2008 World Hockey Championship.
- Played with David Backes for Team USA at the 2008 and 2009 World Hockey Championships.
- He and TJ Oshie were both part of the 2005-06 North Dakota Fighting Sioux.
- Played with Alex Pietrangelo for Team Canada at the 2011 World Championship.
- Played with Paul Stastny for the Colorado Avalanche from 2008-2011. Kevin Shattenkirk was also part of the team during the 2010-11 season before Stewart and Shattenkirk were traded to the Blues as part of the same trade.
- Cody Hodgson, Chris Stewart and Chris Porter were all born in Toronto, Ontario.
- Cody Hodgson (10th overall), Tyler Myers (12th overall), Tyler Ennis (26th overall) and Alex Pietrangelo (4th overall) were all selected in the first round of the 2008 NHL Draft. All four also represented Canada at the 2009 World Junior Championship.
- Matt Moulson (263rd overall) and Brian Elliott (291st overall) were both chosen in the ninth round of the 2003 NHL Draft.
- Patrick Berglund (25th overall) and Chris Stewart (18th overall) were both taken in the first round of the 2006 NHL Draft.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Deslauriers (56), Weber (45), Girgensons (38)
Blocked Shots: Gorges (58), Weber (28), Myers (27)
Shots: Stewart (40), Girgensons (31), Ennis (30)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 2-8-0 (2), 11/33, 0/32, 33/39
11-20: 1-3-2 (3), 9/21, 2/18, 14/19
OVERTIME RESULTS (0-1; 97-99 all-time)
October 30 vs. Boston: L, 3-2 (GDG-Marchand, 1:20)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (2-1; 59-47 all-time)
October 14 at Carolina: W, 4-3 (GDG-Girgensons)
November 2 vs. Detroit: W, 3-2 (GDG-Girgensons)
November 5 vs. Montreal: L, 2-1 (GDG-Parenteau)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Chris Stewart … 2 games … 400 career games played
Andrej Meszaros … 3 games … 600 career games played
Brian Gionta … 8 games … 800 career games played
Jhonas Enroth … 10 games … 100 career games played
Tyler Myers … 1 assist … 100 career assists
Josh Gorges … 1 point … 100 career points
Torrey Mitchell … 7 points … 100 career points
Tyler Ennis … 100 career assists … Nov. 5 vs. MTL