|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Saturday, February 1
Buffalo 1 at Colorado 7
Goalie: Miller (22 saves/27 shots)/Enroth (10 saves/12 shots)
PP: 1/5; PK: 4/6; Shots: Colorado 39 – Buffalo 28
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 161)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (upper body, Dec. 17; injured reserve) – 21 games
Matt Moulson (upper body, Feb. 1; injured reserve) – 1 game
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/30: Activated F Matt D’Agostini from IR; Placed F Drew Stafford on IR
2/3: Activated F Drew Stafford from IR; Placed F Matt Moulson on IR
Wednesday, Feb. 5: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 6: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 25: Carolina at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 26: Boston at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 28: San Jose at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
OILERS at SABRES
- This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Oilers this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Edmonton, 4-3, in Buffalo on Jan. 3, 2012.
- Next meeting: Thursday, March 20 in Edmonton
- The Sabres are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Oilers; 4-4-2 at home.
- This is the 66th game all-time between Buffalo and Edmonton; Buffalo has a 21-34-10 series record.
- The Sabres are 13-13-7 at home against the Oilers all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 6-11-2 all-time on February 3.
- February 3, 1993: The Sabres traded Dave Andreychuk, Daren Puppa, and the team’s first-round draft choice in 1993 (Kenny Jonsson) to Toronto for Grant Fuhr and the Maple Leafs’ fifth-round pick (Kevin Popp) in the 1995 Entry Draft.
- February 3, 2013: Cody Hodgson appeared in his 100th NHL game, a 4-3 loss vs. Florida.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- The Sabres and Oilers will meet twice this season for the first time since the 2000-01 season.
- Buffalo has won the last six meetings between these teams, outscoring the Oilers 26-10 during that span, with the last Edmonton win coming on Oct. 16, 2003.
- Ryan Miller started all six of those games and is a perfect 6-0-0 against the Oilers in his career with a save percentage of .943 and a 1.67 goals against average.
- The Sabres have won their last three home games against the Oilers, with the last loss coming on March 4, 2002. The Oilers haven’t gone four games without a win in Buffalo since they went 0-2-2 at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium from Nov. 18, 1979 to Jan. 16, 1981.
- Steve Ott leads all Sabres skaters with 10 points (4+6) in 28 career games against the Oilers.
- Four Sabres average at least a point per game in their limited experience against the Oilers: Drew Stafford (4 GP, 5+2), Matt Moulson (4 GP, 1+4), Mike Weber (2 GP, 2+1), Alexander Sulzer (2 GP, 1+1).
- Matt Moulson suffered an upper-body injury on Thursday at Phoenix and is expected to be out until after the Olympic break.
- Cody Hodgson has tallied 10 points (6+4) in 11 games since returning from an upper-body injury that sidelined him for eight games.
- Tyler Ennis enters tonight’s game on a three-game point streak and has 11 points (4+7) in his last 11 games.
- Steve Ott has six points (4+2) in his last seven games.
- Ryan Miller is 6-1-1 in his last eight home games, logging a .943 save percentage and a 1.82 goals against average.
CHANGING OF THE GUARD
On Jan. 9, the Sabres hired Tim Murray to serve as the seventh general manager in franchise history. Murray, a 20-year veteran of NHL front offices, comes to the Sabres after most recently serving as the assistant general manager for the Ottawa Senators, a post he held for seven years. Part of his duties as assistant general manager included serving as general manager of Ottawa’s American Hockey League affiliate, the 2011 Calder-Cup champion Binghamton Senators.
The Sabres also hired Craig Patrick as a special assistant and advisor to the hockey department. Patrick, whose career as a hockey executive spans more than three decades, comes to the Sabres after having served as a senior advisor in the Columbus Blue Jackets’ front office since December 2011.
PLAYING FOR THEIR COUNTRIES
- The following Sabres will represent their countries at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia: Ryan Miller (USA), Jhonas Enroth (Sweden), Henrik Tallinder (Sweden), Girgensons (Latvia)
- Interim head coach Ted Nolan will serve as the head coach of Team Latvia.
BUF LW Tyler Ennis (26th overall), BUF D Tyler Myers (12th overall) and EDM RW Jordan Eberle (22nd overall) were all drafted in the first-round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Ennis was born in Edmonton, Alberta, along with BUF LW John Scott and EDM D Andrew Ference.
BUF LW Marcus Foligno was born on August 10, 1991, exactly two years after EDM C Sam Gagner, who was born on August 10, 1989.
BUF C Zemgus Girgensonswas born on January 5, 1994, exactly 10 years after EDM D Corey Potter, who was born January 5, 1984.
BUF C Zemgus Girgensons was selected in the first-round (14th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, along with EDM RW Nail Yakupov (1st overall).
BUF C CodyHodgson was Drafted in the first-round (10th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft along with Eberle (22nd overall).
Hodgson was born in Toronto, Ontario, along with EDM LW Luke Gazdic.
BUF C Zenon Konopka played with EDM LW Jesse Joensuu for the New York Islanders from 2009-2011.
Konopka played with EDM G Ilya Bryzgalov for the Anaheim Ducks during the 2005-2006 season.
BUF C Cody McCormick shares the same birthplace with EDM C Sam Gagner (London, Ontario).
McCormick was teammates with EDM LW Ryan Smyth for the Colorado Avalanche from 2007-2009.
BUF LW Matt Moulson played with EDM LW Jesse Joensuu for the New York Islanders from 2009-2011.
BUF LW Linus Omark played for the Oilers for parts of three seasons from 2010-2013, amassing 30 points (8+22) over 66 total games. He was also Edmonton’s fourth-round selection (97th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
BUF C Steve Ott was teammates with EDM D Nick Schultz for Team Canada at the 2001 and 2002 World Junior Championships.
Ott Played with EDM LW Ryan Smyth for Team Canada at the 2010 World Hockey Championship.
BUF LW John Scott played with EDM C Ryan Hamilton for the Houston Aeros (AHL) from 2006-2009.
Scott was teammates with Nick Schultz for the Minnesota Wild from 2008-2010.
BUF D Christian Ehrhoff was born on July 6, 1982, exactly eight years before EDM D Justin Schultz, who was born July 6, 1990.
BUF D Jamie McBain (63rd overall), BUF D Mike Weber (57th overall), BUF G Jhonas Enroth (46thoverall), EDM D Jeff Petry (45th overall) and EDM LW Jesse Joensuu (60th overall) were all chosen in the second round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
BUF D Henrik Tallinder played with EDM D Mark Fraser for the New Jersey Devils during the 2010-11 season.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Shots: Moulson (125), Ennis (123), Ehrhoff (111)
Hits: Ott (174), Foligno (141), Weber (133)
Blocked Shots: Weber (81), Ehrhoff (75), Myers (71)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10-GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 1-8-1 (3), 13/28, 3/35, 27/32
11-20: 3-7-0 (6), 23/35, 5/24, 29/37
21-30: 2-7-1 (5), 15/28, 4/26, 20/28
31-40: 5-3-2 (12), 20/22, 3/36, 27/29
41-50: 3-4-3 (9), 26/31, 7/36, 28/32
51-60: 1-2-1 (3), 8/17, 3/12, 8/13
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-4; 96-97 all-time)
October 10 vs. Tampa Bay: L, 3-2 (GWG-Killorn, 1:50)
November 29 vs. Toronto: W, 3-2 (GWG-Ehrhoff, 0:38)
November 30 at New Jersey: L, 1-0 (GWG-Bernier, 4:19)
December 14 vs. Calgary: L, 2-1 (GWG-Stajan, 0:42)
December 23 vs. Phoenix: W, 2-1 (GWG-Pysyk, 3:47)
January 28 vs. Washington: L, 5-4 (GWG-Green, 1:00)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (6-4; 56-45 all-time)
October 17 at NY Islanders: W, 4-3 (GDG-Ennis)
November 5 at San Jose: W, 5-4 (GDG-Hodgson)
November 12 vs. Los Angeles: W, 3-2 (GDG-Moulson)
December 10 vs. Ottawa: W, 2-1 (GDG-Girgensons)
December 27 at Toronto: L, 4-3 (GDG-Lupul)
December 29 vs. Washington: W, 2-1 (GDG-Ott)
January 9 vs. Florida: L, 2-1 (GDG-Boyes)
January 12 at Washington: W, 2-1 (GDG-Hodgson)
January 15 at Toronto: L, 4-3 (GDG-Lupul)
January 18 vs. Columbus: L, 4-3 (GDG-Johansen)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Matt D’Agostini … 3 games … 300 career games played
Tyler Myers … 7 assists … 100 career assists
Phil Varone … 1st career goal … Jan. 28 vs. WSH