- With an overtime loss tonight, the Sabres have points in five straight home games against the Capitals for the first time since March 31, 1991 to Jan. 27, 1994 (5-0-1).
- Phil Varone scored his first NHL goal in the second period. Varone got his first point in his NHL debut on Jan. 23 vs. CAR.
- Cody Hodgson (6 multi-point games), Matt Moulson (6), and Tyler Ennis (5) each recorded two points tonight.
- Hodgson scored two goals, registering his sixth career two-goal game (last: Nov. 12, 2013 vs. LAK). He has 10 points (6+4) in nine games since returning from an upper-body injury that sidelined him for eight games.
- Ennis now has 10 points (2+8) in his last seven games against the Capitals.
- With his goal tonight, Christian Ehrhoff has points (2+2) in each of his last four games against Washington.
Sabres interim head coach Ted Nolan
Sabres forward Philip Varone
Sabres forward Cody Hodgson
Sabres goaltender Jhonas Enroth
Capitals head coach Adam Oates
Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin
Capitals defenseman Mike Green
Capital goaltender Braden Holtby